Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amorphous RTD - TURN 1 - THE GAUNTLET  (Read 4664 times)

Shiney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Amorphous RTD - TURN 1 - THE GAUNTLET
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:15:48 am »

Welcome all, To what I call, THE AMORPHOUS, RTD!

Why call it amorphous you ask????
Because it can be ANYTHING!

The Rules, The World, The Story, Everything in this RTD will be Determined by YOU, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

All you need to do is make a Character, and Survive.
Sounds Easy Right?

The entire game will be shaped around the survivors of these first few turns.

But only the best will make it.
Best of what you ask?

That's for you to find out.

Consider this part... "Try outs"

Your characters can be anyone and anything you want, and can do or have anything you want. Don't worry about "Stats", Numbers at this point are arbitrary, They will come later.

It's up to you to mastermind your character's life, their forms, their souls, their talents and weaknesses... their wants and desires... their abilities and strategies...
And then utilize them to perform this task at their hands... Their own survival.

As many people may join as they want.
Joining Period is Over
Pm's are being sent and Awaited on
Datasheets are being constructed
Turns are being processed
Stories are being Hooked
Elemental Evils are Being Released
Splines are Being Reticulated

If Your Just reading this but still wish to join, send me a pm first, I'll probably let you in.
Probably.

Just remember this...
If I don't care about you, I wont think twice when the dice decide to Kill you.
How you interpret that is up to you.

If you want to join, DON'T ASK, Just post your Characters and their turn. ^See above^

BOLD YOUR CRITICAL ACTIONS. IT MAKES ME HAPPY. DON'T MAKE ME UNHAPPY.

Everyone in the gauntlet is Considered to be alone, in an Identical gauntlet to everyone else, though two or more people my choose to be together in one.

Be sure to give enough information to run the entire gauntlet, if there's not enough information about something, then compensate for that, or take a risk.
Yes that's asking you to do A LOT in one turn. I promise in the rest of game there will be no turns nearly as long as this.. Unless you want that.

If you don't know how to go about a room, You can let the dice do the work for you. Just give me some information on your character's general approach to it. If you post what you will do in one room, and then post what you will do in the next, I will run your character through your current room until they get it, unless you specify otherwise, or I for some reason judge that the turn must end there. You may End your turn at any room if you simply post your actions ending at that room. However...
THIS GAUNTLET WILL ONLY LAST FOR TWO TURNS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Also, Keep in mind, the rooms may change for better or worse in the second turn.

If you have any questions, I'm probably either keeping it a secret, or leaving it up to you, though I wont ignore you if you ask.

You have about 48 hours from this post to join. When joining closes, I'll Update this post. Results for turn one should be within about 24 hours after that.

EDIT:
EVERYONE, PLEASE POST YOUR CHARACTERS INVENTORY'S
Without them, I can only assume you have what you describe in your actions, and perhaps some basic gear, or maybe even random crap.
Yes you can Include "Random Crap" or "Various Objects" in your inventory, and I'll assume you have... well various random crap.
inb4 "Can we have Henry?". I would consider doing that quite Funny.
----End Edit----

Now Then, Time to Run...

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:30:00 am by Shiney »

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
Re: Amorphous RTD - TURN 1 - THE GAUNTLET (SPOTS OPEN!)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:08:10 am »

Gyro Gearheart: Evil warlock of evil.

Gyro is a gnome, raised by a family known for their mechanical machinations. It was expected that he would grow into his role as an adventure, but he seemed destined for something 'Different'. As he grew older, he took an interest in magic. He eventually left home to seek fortune as an adventurer, having learned all he could.
Gnomes were rare in the outside world, and as such he was naturally ridiculed and made spectacle of by other races. Gyro was eventually so overcome with envy that he spent many years searching for 'spell of tallness'. One thing led to another, an he had eventually delved into the dark magics. He became increasingly desperate, forsaking more of his morality in his persuits.

He wears an ornate purple robe with gold colored metal plating and a few soul gems. He wields a gold staff with a large soul gem suspended in a loose lattice.
He is also very (very) short.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:28:12 am »

Dorvan Inglishson

Dorvan is an eccentric human...
Well, not really, but to mostly everyone else he is. Tinkering with mundane materials and mostly inorganic objects, his mind seems to grasp the ability of creation faster than many others. They say he is a mage, he says he must be an engineer, whatever that is.

As the years passed, Dorvan discovered that he could easily construct new objects out of just seemingly useless piles of scrap, only if there was any kind of metal in it. Eventually, others started calling him an alchemist. 'Aye' he said to himself as he turned back on his 'creations'. They did seem like they were living. Also, they functioned more like tools and accessories other than what they were originally made of.

Time flowed swift, Dorvan grew to become an inventor and a master of his field, able to delve into the mysteries of creation itself. Although he did not necessarily make living objects, they did act like they were alive. The only downfall, his curiosity has led to a swelled ego and many of his contraptions mostly broke apart whenever he let his feelings loose on them. Luckily, his study (mostly by example) has led him to be working for the benefit of everyone around him, whatever benefit is.

He is clothed in a simple tunic and a leather vest along with long brown bagged pants, filled with pockets and hooks. He also carries some kind of bag by his belt, where he draws his tools and materials from. Strangely, it seems that the more you put, the less comes out but that never bothered him as mostly everything that went in comes back in other forms, like metal to wood.

He holds a metallic wrench in his hand, there seems to be a floating circular contraption hanging above his left shoulder by a thread, producing streams of light upon command, it seems glasslike in material and magnifies everything behind it as you look at it.

Also, he carries a long pipe with a curved handle by a sling carried around his other shoulder which he feeds with black powder and small stones. It seems to breathe fire when the handle is pulled.

Due to years in isolation and self-commited work, Dorvan is not that fit for mostly anything requiring endurance, but his mind (despite his age) works as if nearly mechanized in nature. He stands at nearly five feet.

{Uhh, I guess I took the word Amorphous too much.}

QUESTION: Erm, post characters and then turns? So in short we will have to anticipate anything that would come out of the blue in every room as we traverse it all in one, two or three paragraphs that would make up a turn that consists of all the characters?

That doesn't mean turns in general, as we will share a turn?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:57:56 am by Tiruin »

Shiney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:10:08 am »

Quote from: Tiruin
{Uhh, I guess I took the word Amorphous too much.}

QUESTION: Erm, post characters and then turns? So in short we will have to anticipate anything that would come out of the blue in every room as we traverse it all in one, two or three paragraphs that would make up a turn that consists of all the characters?

Quote from: Shiney on Today at 08:15:48 am

That doesn't mean turns in general, as we will share a turn?

Amorphous? Too Far? No such Thing.

You can post Your character, and turn in the same post, or in multiple posts. I'll Keep up either way.

As for anticipation, Yes, your supposed to try and anticipate as much as you can, HOWEVER remember, YOUR CHARACTERS ARE ALL ALONE IN THE SAME GAUNTLET

So if there where 15 players, There would be 15 separate, Identical, Gauntlets, Unless say two people wanted to be together, then there would be 14 identical Gauntlets.

And as for sharing turns, yes, if there are 15 people each making a simultaneous run, then that is considered 1 turn.

I may Increase the limit to 3 Turns, If enough people Ask.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:21:32 pm »

Roland Kerkish

He's a knight. He used to fight. Day and night, always under strife. Fair maidens in distress, he can't digress, life just won't give him it's best. Nobodies left, everyone died, he's the only guy who can shift-o-transform-i-tize. He's Roland the Knight, and he ain't goin' down without a fight!...

He has a sword. And some armor. He's also a pretty bad fighter, but has INCREDIBLE luck and charisma. I mean, he's extremely lucky. And charismatic, the women love him. He also sings really badly. He has a fanatical cult following, who will gladly die for him. They're weak, but useful, and very numerous. Kinda like a mini-personal army, y'know?

I also suck at, er, rhyming.

Roland will attempt to woo some beautiful ladies, using his incredible charisma and bountiful awesom-ness. Try not to trip over a hobo this time, though. Everybody knows that Hobo's are actually demons. Maybe kill a dragon or two as well,drink some booze, woo some more elven ladies.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:00:53 pm by Dave1004 »

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 06:59:11 pm »

Maya Talkash

Accidentally dropped into the ocean as a baby, Maya was luckily caught up in a whirl of magic, that changed her body to be able to live in the sea, her hands and feet are webbed, and she can breath underwater, but somehow did not lose the ability to breath air. She is not used to companionship at all and is nervous around others, however she has a keen mind and the ability to manipulate the world arround her with various songs

Room1: Move through the door

Room2: Sing a song to bind the air around the demons sword and yank it to herself, then manipulate the lever in the same way

Room3: Hum a tune to calm yourself, then traverse the precipice on all fours

Room4: Create a light, then mark your passage through the maze

Room5: Fight the gaseous form, Bind its form with the same song uased in room 2, and force it into the sludge

Room6: Close you're eyes, and fell the way out of the room

Room7: Slowly and quietly, move the blocks out of the way, position them between yourself and the wolves

Room8: After wishing for more water, ask the man this "Henry, will you please mamke the stairs"

Room9: Tell the orb, "Remaining alone forever"
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:10:24 pm »

Right then...

So either we request for allies or we head out alone.

*Due to the memory of the eighth room haunting Dorvan, in ALL rooms, either call out the name Henry or search for anything that is like 'Henry', that includes danger monster rooms except the seventh one.

Room 1: Carefully examine the room and its structure, pull out any solid material from bag and toss it on the floor, either on the raised/lowered part. If nothing happens in ten seconds, retrieve material and proceed to door.

Room 2: Anticipate the use of the lever while holding suspicion towards it, "would it activate the two walls flanking me to crush both me and the demon?" Also, gold is soft. Analyze the spikes first before being noticed by demon. Otherwise, try to converse with demon. If proven aggressive/bargaining for something, scope out the demon with the contraption hovering over my left shoulder, take aim with weapon and open fire. If demon charges with sword, go for blinding it with light and charging forward to lever, being evasive to any sort of attack, pulling the lever if possible while holding open the door and exiting the room.

Room 3: Relax and tend to any form of wounding present.
Take a deep breath and smile at the welcoming atmosphere, also hold suspicion at welcoming atmosphere. Anticipate wind current and speed by mathematical calculation. Throw another solid material from bag into the cloudy pit. Listen for any reaction. Next, whistle non-chalantly trying to construct something to either ride the wind to the door or to hold balance while crossing the ravine on the small path.

Room 4: Contemplate on 'why are you so alone.' Activate glasslike light contraption and examine nearest surroundings for any mark of any sort. Construct simple moving machines that create echoes and program them to move into the maze at random. Proceed cautiously and quietly, holding weapon at the ready while marking own path with chalk or powder.

Room 5: Craft some kind of boots for self as well as light armor from random materials in bag. Analyze sludge by pulling something random out of bag and tossing it in, Analyze the opponents in front of you, contemplate some crude, yet crazy way to pass if no options of an advantage presents itself. If blue slime everywhere is proven to be harmful/acidic in nature, scoop it up in random solid material drawn from bag and prepare it as a concoction for the coming fight.

Question: If we die in anyway possible, could we revive and rethink strategy?

Hold up, do not end turn: EDIT!!

Room 5, continuation: Challenge the Juggernaut. If possible, devise a way to fell the juggernaut into the sludge, craft mechanical contraption to disable it.

Room 6: Shine a light onto the mirrors, predict pathing. Hit one of the mirrors with wrench to test durability. Then try the door you just came from, as the mirror opposite it must be reflecting it, if not then try that opposite door, if not again; begin shattering those the light bounced off, find exit.

Room 7: Analyze positioning and quietly tap the floor to test for echoing. Scoop up some water and analyze it too. Try to transmute it into acid then splash it onto rocks. If failed and the wolf-things are still asleep, try different ideas until something works.

Also, check for a leash or chain on the wolf-things.

Room 8: Stay with the operator for a chat. Give water to operator or try to stop water from drowning us both. "Here's your henry."

Room 9: Tell the orb. "To be...Normal." Then enter mist if it works.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:37:29 am by Tiruin »

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:23:41 pm »

Room 1: Examine the room, be very attentive for any sounds. prod the tiles from a distance with my staff as I go and make a run for it if any traps activate
Room 2: Bind the demon with dark magics and make it tell me what it knows of this room. Act accordingly by either making the demon pull the lever, making it pull it when i am at the other side of the room, pull it myself, etc. If the demon does not submit, summon one of my own.
Room 3: Calmly and purposefully walk over the gap. keep the demon directly behind me and ready to grab me if I fall.
Room 4: Make the demon watch my back. Leave glowing runes at each intersection to record which ways I have gone.
Room 5: Challenge the floating gas and try to absorb it into a soul gem. If that does not work, Try to bind it into a more stable form and stuff it in the closest container.
Room 6: Shatter the mirrors. All of them.
Room 7: Send the demon to kill one wolf as I kill the other. Task the demon to uncover the exit.
Room 8: Say "I knew a guy named Henry once, you look a lot like him." Hand him a piece of paper that says "IOU one henry. To be redeemed Septembruary 32, 1024".
Room 9: Say "Well, it would probably be a tie between dying, being powerless and being short for the rest of my most likely equally short life."

Shiney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 02:03:03 am »

Quote from: Tiruin
Question: If we die in anyway possible, could we revive and rethink strategy?
Depends on a number of things, but given the current rate of Joinage, If I stick to the original 48 hour window...
Most Probably Yes.

Shiney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 02:06:06 am »

Roland will attempt to woo some beautiful ladies, using his incredible charisma and bountiful awesom-ness. Try not to trip over a hobo this time, though. Everybody knows that Hobo's are actually demons. Maybe kill a dragon or two as well,drink some booze, woo some more elven ladies.

Er... Did you Read the whole first post?
I mean... If you Really want me to run that, I will.
Interesting things will happen to say the least.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:09:25 am by Shiney »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:20:21 am »

Nobody said about time period so, Time Travel?

Heinrich Schmidt
An experienced Wermacht section leader, he has excelled in WW2. Until he ended up here somehow. His dead squadmates still haunt him even while he navigates Deathtrap Hall.

His STG44 is loaded, and he has many more magazines. He carries many more AT grenades and frag grenades.

Room 1: Carefully tiptoe through looking for pressure plates and allied soldiers.

Room 2: Headshot the demon in controlled bursts, and if it ain't dead, AT Grenade.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 10:29:54 am »

I have a dreadful feeling of Impending Doom on many players (me included), or maybe its just me thinking as my character...

Glad reviving may be possible.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 11:10:17 am »

Yes. I want interestings, not seriousings. :P.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 11:13:25 am »

Either you just stated your actions in about 9 whole rooms and reworded them or are really stating what you said above.

I'm enjoying this RTD even if the turn hasn't started yet.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 12:11:39 pm »

Either you just stated your actions in about 9 whole rooms and reworded them or are really stating what you said above.

I'm enjoying this RTD even if the turn hasn't started yet.

The only things that I see right now is some elf booty and dragon treasure. Why do I have to state "Oh, this room that room room 5 blah blah blah"? Just go out there and kill a dragon. Easy!

Pages: [1] 2