Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: year long tantrum  (Read 1472 times)

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
year long tantrum
« on: August 13, 2006, 12:48:00 am »

I have a mason who received some arm inury at some point. He has been sleeping, in various beds (he destroyed his own room in a tantrum), for the last year. I've had to set a watch on any room he sleeps in, in the hopes of catching him mid-tantrum and killing him. For some reason the arm wound never seems to heal. Any idea why this is?

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: year long tantrum
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 01:22:00 am »

Interestingly, I had a miner in bed with a mangled lower body for a good long while in my most recent fortress. After I made a spare bucket, he didn't get unhappy anymore... not so much because people were bringing him food and water (cuz we ran out of food and everyone was too busy killing each other and the billions of cats and dogs running about), but seemingly because a kitten that had adopted him walked over to his room and hung out with him. I think someone eventually wandered in and killed it after he died of dehydration though.

Kinda depressing.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 01:24:00 am »

Well thanks for that long and tangentally important story... Does this mean I should find him a kitten? or just lock him in the room till he starves?

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 01:26:00 am »

Probably both. Or just have a giant influx of migrants that eat all the food and start killing everything in sight.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 02:36:00 am »

If they don't get good uninterrupted sleep, it's hard for breaks/mangles to heal.  So it's very difficult to recover a tantruming injured dwarf.  I wonder if the injured should really be throwing tantrums all that much.  It seems to kill them without fail and they don't really get a chance to do quite as many tantrum like things, like fist fights and object throwing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 02:39:00 am »

He wakes up and immediately goes into a tantrum 1-2 updates later, barely enough time to smash his bed before he bee-lines for another bed. I assigned him a bed in a room near my graveyard (made for him) and intend to turn it into his sarcophagus once he expires from lack of food. But it really is a shame that theres no way for him to heal, its only a yellow-injured arm.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 09:20:00 am »

Maybe tantrums should be made exhausting, and exhausted dwarves should temporarily be unable to throw tantrums until they've had some good sleep?
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 10:55:00 am »

That sounds reasonable.  I'm...  I'm tired of being so angry all the time.  That kind of thing.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »

That's a way better idea than the post I made (and scrapped before I actually submitted) about making tantrums produce stress relief.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »

Why do injuries cause people to go into tantrums all the time? I would be upset if my arm was broken, but not really inclined to run around hitting people with an axe...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 01:58:00 pm »

They just have a general happiness level that decreases, and dwarves throw tantrums when they bottom out.  Tantrums do cause stress relief -- they get a happy thought from beating things up, and another from throwing things, and so on.  It never really seems to be enough for them...  I could up the value of those as well, maybe.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 02:03:00 pm »

I notice sometimes they throw tantrums while asleep, and can't get sleep due to tantrums. Maybe make them unable to sleep until the tantrum runs out?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 02:12:00 pm »

Or they could even cancel the tantrum to sleep, which I think was alluded to earlier with this exhaustion discussion maybe.  Although, I guess you can be too angry to sleep or something.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »

I think either solution would work, but don't really know which would work better.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 02:43:00 pm »

Bed-ridden people who throw tantrums can't throw anything or hit anyone, so they don't get any stress relief from the tantrum.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin
Pages: [1] 2