Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: year long tantrum  (Read 1471 times)

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: year long tantrum
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 10:22:00 pm »

How about implementing some sort of intermediate state.  For example, you could have the dwarves decide to "sulk" if they get unhappy.  When this happens, the dwarves could stop working and actively attempt to do activities which improve their mood.  At some point they would snap out of it and go back to normal.  If conditions are bad enough that they can't find any comfort even when searching for it, then they would go to tantrum.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 10:59:00 pm »

I suppose personalities would help.  There are some bloats for this.  Some dwarves could be more resilient, others could be prone to tantrums and so on.  Then a tantruming dwarf would be more likely to berserk but also more rare, and you could put operation "dwarf removal" into effect with more precision.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 12:04:00 pm »

In my current game(version 0.21.100.19a), every one of my dwarves that gets wounded has ended up in a bed-ridden tantrum spiral. Even those that started out Ecstatic would sooner or later start tantruming, and after that it was only a matter of time before they went completely nuts.

They're all receiving food and water, several of them have been located in Modest bedrooms(pretty good for a commoner), and in many cases these are minor wounds (even listed as such in their Profile) usually received during sparring. So far, two have died by fistfight, one has died by jumping into a chasm, and I have four wounded dwarves right now who are either tantrum-spiralling or going there.

It seems a bit wrong. Although it is a way to curb the training of highly skilled squads (they keep getting hurt before they get past basic Swordsman) it also just doesn't make sense. Not very dwarvenlike of them either, whining about a little hand-sprain until they go insane. Maybe you can let us use mugs to bring alcohol to our stricken dwarves for a huge morale bonus, or perhaps raise the tantrum threshold over time when they're wounded and not getting rest?

TheOtherHorseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 12:23:00 pm »

In my dwarven universe, violence is some kind of horrible voodoo curse that destroys everyone it touches. I started off okay. A miner was surprised by three lizardmen jumping out and screaming "boo!". He then proceeded to crush their skulls into a fine paste without so much as a scratch on him.

Later, a trapper's arm was wounded in killing an alligator. He went to bed, and got fed and watered. He slowly began to go insane, and started to tantrum constantly. Eventually he healed up.

He'd be okay for a while, and then suddenly tantrum, stopping his hunting to come back and whine. At one point, he got so pissed that he beat the metalsmith's pet cow to death in the dining hall. A few days after that, he flipped out and killed a dog, and then killed a nearby dwarf. Two other dwarves found themselves honorary members of the "CUT THAT THE HELL OUT" brigade and were sent to deal with him.

They died.

Then the same miner who killed the lizardmen waltzed by and beat the crossbow-wielding jerk to death, again without being scratched.

So, basically, I have a tomb now.

Oh, and before I stopped the game for the night, a dwarf fought off 4 lizardmen. Was wounded.

She is now tantruming, so she was locked in her room to die a slow and painful death, because I know how that story ends. With blood.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »

I can go recheck the numbers on the attack/injured thoughts, and their frequency.  There's a chance that it is double counting them or something.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 08:44:00 pm »

Hmm.  Would it be possible to make it so a dwarf injured in combat gets fewer bad thoughts from their injury if the creature that killed it dies?  I like the idea of organizing revenge squads to cheer your wounded dwarves up a little.

Maybe even just killing several things of that creature's faction or race could help.

...maybe a dwarf could develop a hatred for factions or races that critically injure them.  On the other hand, I can imagine a dwarf who was critically injured by lizardmen could enjoy wearing a lizardman shirt or seeing a lizardman in chains...  It'd be the free, live ones they couldn't stand.

But once more detailed diplomacy things are in, it would be interesting for your dwarves to develop feuds that might cause problems for the player's plans.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 02:51:00 am »

Who knows when things actually go in, but we were thinking of developing ideas like this more when we add adventurer start scenarios.  "Enslaved by the goblins!" and so on, rather than play now just starting you outside the cave.

Part of developing an interesting adventure mode is the things that carry back to dwarf mode.  Bandits in adv mode = bandits in dwarf mode. etc etc etc  And since adventure mode can be very boring after a while right now, we'll probably focus on that method of pushing things into dwarf mode (as per the last Future of the Fortress post by Threetoe).

I suppose when cults go in all this ritual caravan drowning could gain a proper following.

Pages: 1 [2]