Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Psychics & Mages RTD {Turn 3!}  (Read 5636 times)

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Psychics & Mages RTD {Turn 3!}
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:22:40 pm »

Spoiler: Magecraft (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Psychic Powers (click to show/hide)

We'll be operating under the standard 1d6 RtD ruleset.
You are students at a mixed academy in the country of Ayle -- both aspiring mages and psychics interested in learning more or developing their powers are present. I'll introduce the rest of the setup once we're full. Please actually read the Psychic Powers and Magecraft spoilers; otherwise you probably won't know how to fill out the character sheet properly.

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)
Player list:
1. dermonster
2. adwarf
3. Tarran
4. Gatleos

Waiting list:
1. lawastooshort
2. wolfchild
3. Tiruin
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:19:46 pm by Nilum »
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Psychics & Mages RTD {in signups, 0/4}
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:27:53 pm »

Name: Derm
Mage or psychic: Mage
Focus or ability: Chaos
Background (optional): Derm.

Let's give this a go, then!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:47:20 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 04:28:19 pm »

Name: Renard
Focus or ability: Blood Magic
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:31:43 pm by adwarf »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:32:44 pm »

Hm, sounds interesting enough.

Name: Rotvic Baker
Focus or ability: Raw magic
Background (optional): Rotvic is a male disguised Elf (self-cut his ears), who while a child was but a mere experiment for a high mage. That mage is now dead: Eventually, after many years of experimentation, Rotvic literally disintegrated the mage with raw magic that had been building in his anger. He then escaped and disguised himself. He lives as a blacksmith: Hammering a piece of metal is good at getting rid of anger. Rotvic is generally quick to anger, and when someone threatens him (when they could have just said something nicely) he usually reacts violently: He really does not like being pushed around.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:44:30 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 04:33:22 pm »

Name: Gat
Mage or psychic: Psychic
Focus or ability: Transfiguration (altering materials' physical properties)
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Psychics & Mages RTD {Starting soonish}
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 04:40:27 pm »

Gosh that was quick. Could I wait list please?

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:41:37 pm »

Gosh that was quick. Could I wait list please?
Certainly -- feel free to do up a character sheet, too. It'll help me find a way to unobtrusively slot you into the story.
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 04:46:06 pm »

A little note: I decided to change my focus from Wrath to Raw magic, because I felt that "Wrath" was a little... odd.

By "Raw magic", I mean stuff like Magic Missile and further.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 05:04:29 pm »

Eh, I almost hate this forums. I take a mere two hour break, and wow, a new game, already filled. Dammit.

Edit: Nevermind, Derm's in here. This is going to be fun to watch :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:08:01 pm by Dave1004 »

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 05:06:59 pm »

Hm, sounds interesting enough.

Name: Rotvic Baker
Focus or ability: Raw magic
Background (optional): Rotvic is a male disguised Elf (self-cut his ears), who while a child was but a mere experiment for a high mage. That mage is now dead: Eventually, after many years of experimentation, Rotvic literally disintegrated the mage with raw magic that had been building in his anger. He then escaped and disguised himself. He lives as a blacksmith: Hammering a piece of metal is good at getting rid of anger. Rotvic is generally quick to anger, and when someone threatens him (when they could have just said something nicely) he usually reacts violently: He really does not like being pushed around.
As an elf, you'll get a large bonus to your mana capacity, but I will be merciless. If anyone discovers that you are an elf, expect to be hunted. Do not expect help from the government. Do not expect to be able to be treated by normal human means -- your body isn't human.
You're a student at the combined magecraft/psychic academy, so I'll assume you work as a blacksmith to pay for boarding.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 05:09:35 pm »

Eh, I almost hate this forums. I take a mere two hour break, and wow, a new game, already filled. Dammit.

Well, at least you aren't in two nearly-dead RTDs and nothing else. ::)

As an elf, you'll get a large bonus to your mana capacity, but I will be merciless. If anyone discovers that you are an elf, expect to be hunted. Do not expect help from the government. Do not expect to be able to be treated by normal human means -- your body isn't human.
Errr... Oh dear.

How hard specifically is it to hide my elvenness?

And what do you mean by "Do not expect to be able to be treated by normal human means"?

You're a student at the combined magecraft/psychic academy, so I'll assume you work as a blacksmith to pay for boarding.
...You never mentioned that. Or at least, I don't think you did. I might have missed it.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 05:12:44 pm »

Well, at least you aren't in two nearly-dead RTDs and nothing else. ::)

Actually, I more-or-less am. Only Darkmoon RTD is going on any-more, the other 3 RTD's I joined are all quite...Dead. :<. It's cool though, blast some of those ugly Psychics for me, will'ja?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 05:14:23 pm »

Dave ... Ranger's Apprentice is very much alive >.>

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 05:17:05 pm »

Dave ... Ranger's Apprentice is very much alive >.>

It is? Kinda been slooping lately >_>. I'll keep an eye out, I promise!

I don't want my character to fade into history with nary a title of fame!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 05:24:50 pm »

Errr... Oh dear.

How hard specifically is it to hide my elvenness?

And what do you mean by "Do not expect to be able to be treated by normal human means"?
Low-level mages won't be able to tell the difference between you and a human. Psychics will have no chance (unless they can read your mind); high-level mages will be able to detect that your body is different, but probably wouldn't suspect that you're an elf.

If you catch an arrow to the knee, any magical or herbal treatments will not work on you, as they are designed to work on humans. Your body is contaminated with mana in such a way that it'll reject everything. Your body will heal naturally to an extent, but unless the wounds are sewn shut with your own mana, they'll reopen easily.

For normal humans, mana isn't a natural part of their body. Objects and living things are not meant to hold mana, and it always tries to escape into the environment. This is why everything has a capacity, and if pushed past this capacity, the mana is discharged forcefully, usually resulting in death or destruction for the object. As an elf, mana is actually a natural part of your body. Your capacity is quadruple the normal capacity, too. You will pull mana from the environment to maintain equilibrium.

Normal humans are like buckets, with a faucet slowly dripping water into them. Elves, on the other hand, are more like sponges.

Unfortunately, since it's so integral, (your body is literally woven shut with magic), if you run out if mana bad things will happen. If someone casts a really, really strong dispel on you, bad things will happen. And if you go into a place without any mana whatsoever, you'll have a much harder time recovering. Your magical power is directly proportional to how much mana there is in the environment. If there's more in the environment, you can hold more -- if there's less, you can hold less.

Anyway, I'll have the first turn up in half an hour, probably.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5