Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Fourty Hours in Hell. Achtung Panzer Operation Star.

(1/5) > >>

Silent_Thunder:
Spoiler: Origonal Post (click to show/hide)Well Bay12 I've decided to do a LP, but the problem is I cant decide which game to do. I'm thinking either a Distant Worlds Legend LP, or an Achtung Panzer Operation Star LP? Before you decide, here's a poorly written explanation of each. When we do a proper LP, I promise to write some well researched intros.

Distant Worlds is a space-faring 4x in the vein of MOO and GalCiv, except much more... massive. The game plays out in real time, with variable speeds 0.25x - 4x speeds, and large parts of the game can be automated if desired. For instance I could automate ship design, or just put some of my fleets on AI control to have them zip around my empire defending against invasion. There are other things that could be automated, like empire policies and colonization, but I havent messed with those, so I cant give a good indication on what exactly they do. If we were to play, we would be using the largest galaxy size (1700 stars, 20x20 sectors) and the max number of empires (20)

Achtung Panzer is in the vein of games such as Theater of war, or perhaps more famously Combat Mission. In this game we would manage a single, multi day operation on the easter front, managing the hour to hour troop and supply movements, and going into battle when combat reared its ugly head. This game is brutal and unforgiving, and any revisited battlefields will still have the scarring from previous battles, such as old tank husks, or craters we could use for cover if large enough. Every Engagement in this game is important, and battles are filled with uncertainty. In this we would be doing the new 15 turn mission that is coming with the next patch, due sometime this month. I will not play this untill the patch, due to various campaign level changes they are making, which aim to make combat less sparse and empty.

So bay12, those are your option, now make a choice, as always, I'm hanging out in the DFC on Steam.
Okay Bay12, Let's strap our helmets on and head for the Eastern Front, to die with dignity, honor, and who am I kidding, let's get ready to die screaming and crying while hiding in an artillery crater, and by that I mean let's play Achtung Panzer: Operation Star.
APOS, which I must admit is a rather unfortunate acronym, is the latest in a series of games by Graviteam, a Russian developer know mainly for their tank sims. In this game we play the, shall I say lesser known battles of the Eastern Front, and by that I mean most of the missions I can only find historical documents as vague as "yep, this happend alright". For this LP I am going to be using the latest beta patch, and one of the simpler missions, just to show simply how brutal this game can get. Since I suck at descriptions, let's get this LP started!

EDIT: LP renamed to Fourty Hours, because the longer mission is still broken with the patch, so I chose one of the other missions.

EDIT: The battles look ugly because it runs poorly on my PC, so I have it set to 800x600, while still maintaining a 1024x768 resolution for the interface. I might switch to pure 1024x768 though.

Fishbreath:
Oh, totally Achtung: Panzer. That one's proven beyond me so far (althoug I just got their new '70s-'80s tank sim), so I demand to live vicariously through you.

Knave:
I haven't played the new Operation Star, but the original has a special place in my heart. I would like to see the new game and how it plays :)

Distant Worlds is also one of my fav 4xs. Would you be playing with the new expansion? Because I would also love to see that in action.

Silent_Thunder:
Well it appears Achtung Panzer has won, now we just have to wait for the patch in a few days.

Silent_Thunder:
Ok here we go guys, let's strap those helmets on, because we've been deployed to fight for Der Fuhrer!

Spoiler:  Our mission (click to show/hide)Our mission is simple, we; the 11th Panzer Division, are tasked with breaking through the river crossing Mzha, and we are being assisted by a SS division to the west. Command has given us a deadline of around fourty hours, which should be no problem, I mean, It's just one bridge right?

Spoiler: The Strategic Situation (click to show/hide)Ok guys this is why I wanted to wait for the patch, if I hadn't you'd be seeing alot less units, think one per square instead of the 2-3 per square we have, which made tactical engagements somewhat boring and lifeless. Anyway here is what we have, a nice mix of infantry and armor, and we're within striking distance of our objective. The only thing that worries me right now is that the SS has jumped the gun a bit to the west, and sent 3 armor platoons way beyond  where we can support them. Now the one thing I want to point out is Krondorf, he is our commander, I'm not sure what happens if he dies, but It can't be good. Ok so first phase of battle, should we immediatly attack Rakitnoe, or should we move up our Artillery (as well as more troops of course) in the south which would give us a massive atttack advantage, but also wasting precious time and risking letting the Soviets dig in? Or should we rush into the village using only whats nearby at the moment?

EDIT: forgot to mention, those dark red guys on the map are our reinforcements, which wont show up for 6 turns.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version