Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best Military Setup?  (Read 9208 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Best Military Setup?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 11:53:58 am »

But why? I love having an instant ragnarok button.

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 12:46:16 pm »

Fortress Defense mod is a good choice if you're bored with gobbos and elves, and don't want to change other aspects of the game. It gives you more enemies to fight, earlier ones, and tougher ones, and that's about all it does.
Ooh that sounds like what I need. Does it increase the difficulty of all hostile creatures (like elephants, crundles, trolls, etc) or does it just introduce tougher enemies?
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 05:34:28 pm »

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is using picks as your primary weapon - since they use Mining to attack, it's pretty trivial to get very high skill, and they also seem to deal pretty decent damage. Plus, your military becomes very useful when not training/fighting.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 08:50:11 pm »

I never squad up miners, hunters, or woodchoppers.  They are too busy, doing what they do.

A squad is setup to weave and another to gatherer wood.  To prevent a soft civilian dwarf from bumping into a nasty critter while outside the fort.  I give these guys layered leather, and all that bone/shell crap to wear.  No metal, cept for cap and bp.

I've found it better to NOT use barracks as a sleeping quarters; I don't even know why its up in there.  My troops are always armored.  I never make marksdwarfs, the AI is stupid.  Or I just haven't figured out the finer details of getting them plush up against the fortifications.. They always appear to shoot from a pisspoor angle.  So no ranged for ol'Knutor.

I prefer obsidian swords.  For their flexibility, while I'm dressing the troops up.  Or silver maces.  Maces hit slightly harder than hammers.  I see many FBs die to a Macelord.  Well indirectly, I wish there was a death msg in alert scroll, stinks having to bring up the dead unit list to find out if a fight is finished.

My danger room has just one spear in ea of its many traps, and I like to have it deep down in there, so I can mass pit into it.  I try to keep water only, for drinking and a well near danger room.  I also like to set some bars up, to prevent flying things from getting out of my pit.

I never go on the offensive, until I have a full squad in full armor.  Hope that helps you.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 10:35:11 pm »

I also leave off the sleeping option for my barracks.  However, in line with what others posted about keeping non-training time at a minimum, I always put individual rooms for my militia right next to the barracks they are assigned to (usually with a meeting/dinning hall as the next thing in on the safer side of the hallway.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]