Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge a Trap  (Read 6558 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge a Trap
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 01:12:39 am »

>Examine local plantlife, while whistling a nice tune as best as you can. Try asking the fairy some friendly questions, directly to the point.

Also, I did NOT know that a simple action as jumping for joy could kill you.

[5]. Luckily, there weren't any gigantic spiders or horrible head-eaters above you. Good thing.

*Quizzically - with curiosity in a broad sense.

Also, your RTD and story-sense is great! Even if you are a newbie GM, you learn fast. I'm new to the RTD or RPs in general but what I can say is this: "If you do start a RTD, you should know the ending to it or it wouldn't have mattered in the first place."

Just picked that line from someplace I read about.

And in my opinion, you don't actually have to know the exact meaning of words, just their use in context.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 01:19:38 am »

Ah, Sorry about that, Tiruin. The dungeons have a sick sense of humor, and a wrong move may cause you to be eaten by man-eating pla-er, rocks. And stuff. I'm trying to improve on the RTD as I go, so...It may be a bit different. I have an end in mind, but let's not ruin it :P. Well, maybe an end, it all depends on the dice...

Now that I re-read my post, sorry about that. It almost sounds like I'm asking for pity attention; - I didn't mean to come off that way, ugh. I appreciate the compliments though, I've always wanted to start a RTD, but I wanted it to be small and simple. The problem with words for me, was because I've always read books generally far out of my league (As a kid, I had no TV or video games, so I read. A lot...), which caused me to pick up all sorts of things without knowing the proper definitions. Along the way, I would usually just make up my own "Definitions", but that usually ended up being pretty odd.

Glad that Quizzically was the right word! Heh-eh. And, welcome to the wonderful world of RTD's! I'm actually pretty newbie myself...I lurked for a few months, and then finally got the opportunity (And guts) to join a RTD, and it was awesome.

I pray that your death (In-game!) is swift and merciful. Godspeed, my friend. Godspeed.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 01:26:54 am »

I actually expect every room to be filled with death wishes. But...does my character know that?

Adventure!  :D

Hold on...Impending doom?
I pray that your death (In-game!) is swift and merciful. Godspeed, my friend. Godspeed.

:o

{No really, you are doing a good job since it is your first RTD, but I'd bet others who are more experienced could tell you exactly what you are missing. Keep in mind that randomness happens a lot. If a player dies, then devise a way that they would die but don't kill them off immediately, characters (humans mostly) are hardier than many believe them to be. That explains appendage loss.}

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 01:34:28 am »

Spoiler: Urist Mcinternetuser (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Here ya go Dave :) Just figured splitting the player statuses would make keeping stuff in order much easier.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:20:36 am by adwarf »

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 01:36:11 am »

Yeah, don't worry about it. This game is fun. I didn't expect the rooms to be full of such awesome things, like the mouse box, slot machine, and the laboratory.  I feel like starting a rtd now.
Kindly refuse her, and walk into the next room.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 02:00:03 am »

Request: Shorten my character name to Arc, nickname  :)

and apologies to Derm, didn't see green was yours in direction.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:14:50 am by Tiruin »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 07:19:08 am »

Head toward the trees. make a makeshift spear from a branch.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 12:43:25 pm »

Name: Arc (Tiruin): Execute Plan Alpha-Trot-Whiskey! You decide that aggression isn't a good choice in this matter, so you break out a...[2] jaunty tune and start moseying around. There is an extensive amount of flora and fauna in this room, despite the small size. You can't really tell what any of the plants are, but...[3]. You decide not to touch the one with those spiky tendrils, and instead brush a nearby leaf. You brace yourself for some kind of horribly monstrosity to pop out, but...Nothing. Strange. You can hear the faery above your head, and it sounds like she's getting mad. You don't understand what she's saying, but you guess that it's probably quite rude. She might understand you, though...

Evidently, she seems to really hate your whistling. Which comes as a surprise, because you always figured that you had a knack for that sort of thing...You halt your whistling, and the faery calms down. Deciding to make use of the situation, you quietly sit down. The faery, likewise sits down on her mushroom, staring at you.

"So, little faery, what are you doing here?", you ask in a soft, yet questioning tone. The faery cocks her head to the side, but makes no response. You don't even know if she can understand you, but you might as well try...

"Do you want me to catch you? If so, why?", comes yet another question. And once again, she doesn't answer. This obviously isn't working...There must be something that can grasp her attention...[Intuition Roll: 6] According to myth and lore, Faeries have an almost dependency on things sweet and magical. The legends also state that they kidnap, and feed on babies. Since you're probably not going to find any babies in this miniature forest, you decide to do something useful...[3] Slowly sitting up, you once again start searching the plants. Only two catch your eye, a hanging vine with some kind of sap on it, and a small mushroom that seems to...Sparkle? What should you do?

Name: Nassir (Urist Mcinternetuser): Refuse the nice old lady! You feel that it's probably a very bad idea letting some crazy bat cut your skin and feed you strange potions, so you gather your courage and...[1]. Insult her. "You stupid old WHORE! Do you really think that I, the great Nassir, would ever be of aid to a vile creature such as yourself? Get out of my sight!", you exclaim while walking off. The old lady just stands there behind you, not making a sound. Just before you enter the door, you sneak a peek behind you...A beautiful elven lady stands where the old hag was, in the same clothes as well. A single tear slowly falls from her eye, as you shut the door behind you...

You're suddenly plunged into darkness! Not the kind of dark you'd see at night, but an eerie, pitch-black smog. It quickly overwhelms your senses, and...[3] Your fear rises. You manage to keep your courage all though, but this room seems to be pretty dangerous. Luckily, your hand's still on the doorknob, and if you want, you could walk along the outer edge of the wall. Most of the rooms have been pretty normal thus far. While you're thinking of the plan, suddenly...[3]. A strange tapping is heard at the end of the room. Every ten or so taps, they seem to get just a bit louder. Something's probably coming closer, and only the gods know what it is..

.Name: Derm (dermonster): Make! Spear! With a thoughtful gaze, you reckon that those trees are pretty spear-worthy. And, it never  hurts to have a weapon! You head to one of the nearby trees, the one with the lowest hanging branches. you find...[4] A decent stick, long and quite young looking. It's green and flexible, but not particularly tough. You snap it off the tree, and pull off the leaves. Nothing in your inventory can help you sharpen it, so you...[1] Can't find anything at all to help. Bummer. You do your best to whittle the end into a point, which...Hopefully will do something. You seem to have fashioned a sort of weapon, but it could probably break easily...Suddenly, you hear a crash in the bushes! Whipping around with your newly-made weapon, you scrutinize where the sound came from. As it continues to grow louder, you ready your spear. Without warning, a man in a suit of armour breaks through the tree-line, gasping and trying to regain his breath. After a few short moments, he notices you standing there. He gets the strangest look on his face, probably due to the...Oddities of seeing a half-naked stick-wielding forest-dweller. The soldier...[2] Doesn't react well to you. Fear is in his eyes, but it's probably not because of you...

"You there! Knave. The one with the stick. What are you doing out here? Don't you know what's going on?", asks the soldier. Without delay, you...[6] reply. "I...I'm sorry, sir. I seem to have gotten, er, very lost. Pray tell, what's this...Dire situation that seems to be going on?", you reply in the politest of tones. "Ah, I..see. Well, no matter then, all is forgiven. You see, our town was just being attacked by...By a dragon!", cries the soldier. Taking a closer look, you can see that he's quite old, in the fifties. His armour is rusted and well-used as well, and he seems to be weapon-less. What should you do...?

@Adwarf: Hey, thanks, man! I never knew that someone could do that. Badass, dude :D. I appreciate it!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »

>Inspect those two plants more...Smell them and then try the mushroom although stare suspiciously at it. Offer it to fairy, talk and try to make hand gestures to indicate alliance.

Love those unexpected twists Dave1004. Just gets better and better. Also, thanks for naming my elaborate plans  :P

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2011, 03:00:22 pm »

Grill him for more details. Scan for deception.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 04:23:30 pm »

That was hilarious, and kind of sad. Anyways, I suppose I should try to tap to the same beat the thing is tapping, while maintaining a grasp on the door knob.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2011, 04:35:38 pm »

No problem Dave :)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 06:23:39 pm »

Name: Arc: Check plants, and pluck shrooms. Following the old advice of your long-dead grandfather, you head towards the first of the interesting plants (The vine), and...[4] Cautiously examine it. The plant seems to be what you'd normally expect from, well, a vine, but the sap is something interesting...It has a bronzed, golden gleam, similar to rich honey. The vine is also a mottled green, and you lightly push it. The soft, spongy texture springs back out when you remove your finger...Nothing else to note, it seems. You'd have to examine the sap more closely...A la, ingesting it. On a flash of brilliance, you take a deep whiff of the vine, not that it really did anything...It smells, well, plant-e. You're a bit disappointed...

Next, you turn towards the mushroom. It's a bit of a ways off, so while heading there...[5] You grab what seems to be a pear, hanging from a branch. You stick it in your (magical) pocket, and close the distance between the Mushroom and yourself. Now that you're closer, the Mushroom doesn't actually sparkle, it literally emanates a small halo of light. It's a rich brown, with a white stem. About three inches tall, with the top being about two inches in diameter. You gently reach down, and pluck it from the soil. It continues to glow, even though it was picked, so that's a good sign...You walk back to where the Faery is, still sitting on her little stool. When she sees the mushroom you're carrying, her eyes seem to light up, and her wings start flitting. The best way to handle this situation would be...[1] To eat the mushroom. In-front of the faery. While laughing. You quickly gnaw down own the 'shroom, not even thinking about your action. When you're finished, your body feels...Good. You can't explain it, but you have a sort of warm, fuzzy feeling deep inside your chest. The Faery looks shocked, and a bit scared. She quickly flits off into the trees, disappearing. You just stand there, with a silly look on your face, patting your stomach appreciably. At least you're full now...The Faery seems to have left the room, if that somehow makes sense. You lie down on the soft ground, and plan your next move...

Name: Derm: Serious Business You decide that having the whole "Cowering Peasant" attitude won't get you anywhere, so you...[1] Stay a cowering peasant. You decide to try and grill him for details...

"A..Ah! Yes, you there, strange soldier who...ran out of these dark, scary woods. I-I demand answers from you! First of all, did you actually mean a Dragon is attacking your v-v-village?"
"Heh? What? Yes, of course there is one! I ran for my life, it's a slaughter out there! The beast attacked early this night, just...Popped up out of nowhere and started eating people! My squadron of fifteen or so Guardsmen fought the beast off, but it was only temporarily, and we lost half of our numbers. It returned, and...And I decided to run. I don't want to die, not yet!"

You do your best to tell if he's lying, and...[Intuition Roll: 2]. Can't tell much from his demeanour. His fear looks real enough, and you notice that he has smatterings of blood on his armour, but there's no way to tell if it's from man, or beast...

"How do I know that you're not lying to me?...And, s-so you left? Left them all to die?"
"What do you expect me to do? I'm an old man, I can't kill a bloody dragon! It's a gigantic winged serpent with teeth as long as daggers, and breaths out flesh-melting flames! Of course I ran, ye fool. Now, get out of my way. I'm leaving!
W...Wait! Where's the village that's being attacked?
"Follow the road! It'll lead you there!"

You suddenly realise that there's a road under you. How did that get there?...[3] Maybe you just didn't notice it. True to his word, the man's already running in the opposite direction, moving surprisingly fast for an old man with armour on. No problem, you know where the village is...One thing is niggling in the back of your brain, and...[2] You just can't bring what it is to mind. No matter...What should you do now?

Name: Nassir: Imitate the tapping! With a sudden stroke of genius intellect, you place your non-door-handle-holding hand against the wall, and...[6] Imitate the thing's tapping. With perfect skill, you manage to replicate almost the exact sound and tempo of the tapping you heard. This exchange goes on for about half a minute, and just when your fingers started to get sore, the other tapping stopped. You hear the sound of something sliding away, and a large CLICK.

Suddenly, without warning, a bright light appears! You don't know what to make of the room you're in. Once the spots clear from your vision, you carefully look around...[3] You notice a large number of slits in the floor, between you and the other door in the room. You check in the direction of where the tapping was coming from, but see nothing other than a large statue of some creature. You don't know what you should do...

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2011, 06:26:52 pm »

Charge off perpendicular to the road.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 07:38:41 pm »

I tear off a piece of my clothing, and wave it over the slit.
Then, if nothing happens I will run over to the statue.

I was thinking that Tiruin might start having strange hallucinations, but then I remembered that there was already a fairy near him.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8