Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Mythical Artifacts & Weapons  (Read 13581 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mythical Artifacts & Weapons
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2011, 03:06:10 am »

You likely have enough swords, but let me toss a greatsword onto the pile.

The Caladbolg which decimates everything, and is known for slicing the tops of 3 different mountains in one swing. Not much is written in the article, but that shouldn't matter if your throwing your own spin on it.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2011, 03:13:06 am »

Bag of Holding!
Connected portal rings!
The Holy Blade Excalibur!

The possibilities are endless...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2011, 09:28:10 am »

I think I've got enough swords :D I've got a list of 40 different mythical and legendary swords and spears from 10+ different cultures, I'm good. :)

And PYRO, I know you first mentioned the whos-a-whatsits back in WorldForge which gave me part of the Undying idea, but I'm talking about the racial storyline. :) The whole Swarm thing I developed on Skype with you,Edio and Ash. :D
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2011, 11:44:49 am »

Spear of Lugh/Areadbhar: From Irish mythology, it is a living spear that moves on its own and has a near-insatiable lust for blood and battle. It basically had to be kept sedated between battles.
Sword of Light/Claíomh Solais: Another Irish thing, it's a sword that shines like a torch. Once drawn, no-one could escape or resist it.
Cauldron of Dagda: Since I've mentioned half of the jewels of the Tuatha Dé Danann, let's continue. The Cauldron of Dagda is bottomless and never ran out of food.
Stone of Destiny/Lia Fáil: When the rightful king of Ireland puts its foot upon it, it will roar out. It can also rejuvenate said king.
Well, I was going to point at the artefacts for Elidor, for inspiration, but I find you've essentially beaten me to it with the the source material behind for those...

I was also tempted to mention the Scone of Stone (Pratchettesque) or some mythological variant of the Stone of Scone idea?  Its power may be merely that it is.  That or something like Carrot Ironfoundersson's sword, and all its associated powers.  (It's heavy and its a good sword.  What more do you want?)  But maybe that won't fit with the OP.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2011, 11:48:12 am »

Spear of Lugh/Areadbhar: From Irish mythology, it is a living spear that moves on its own and has a near-insatiable lust for blood and battle. It basically had to be kept sedated between battles.
Sword of Light/Claíomh Solais: Another Irish thing, it's a sword that shines like a torch. Once drawn, no-one could escape or resist it.
Cauldron of Dagda: Since I've mentioned half of the jewels of the Tuatha Dé Danann, let's continue. The Cauldron of Dagda is bottomless and never ran out of food.
Stone of Destiny/Lia Fáil: When the rightful king of Ireland puts its foot upon it, it will roar out. It can also rejuvenate said king.
Well, I was going to point at the artefacts for Elidor, for inspiration, but I find you've essentially beaten me to it with the the source material behind for those...

I was also tempted to mention the Scone of Stone (Pratchettesque) or some mythological variant of the Stone of Scone idea?  Its power may be merely that it is.  That or something like Carrot Ironfoundersson's sword, and all its associated powers.  (It's heavy and its a good sword.  What more do you want?)  But maybe that won't fit with the OP.

Scone of Stone? Do explain :)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 12:08:41 pm »

Well, the aforementioned Stone of Sco
  • ne is our Roundworld equivalent, if you know of that.  (If you don't, you can search for it...)

Tell ya what though, the Discworld Wiki page says most of what needs to be said.  It holds off going into detail such as that...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...but, apart from that, as long as it is recognised (or recognisably absent from where it should be) it is an artefact that conveys (or fails to convey) authority.

Like I said, probably not what was requested in the OP, but I thought I'd contrast with the Green Lantern Ring-type things of actual Power.

Another 'artefact' type pinched from the Pratchettian bibliography is something like the theme in Strata.  Impossible fossils in deep coal seams, revealing that something is not quite right about what people think about the past.  It needn't be so literal, but could be an easily-missed clue (that comes back to bite everyone, later)...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2011, 01:31:23 pm »

snip

Not the device Rodney McKay got hit by? Oh great...
Well, that one too; I mistakenly said SG-1 since I thought someone might be a bit confused if I said the Stargate universe, as there is a Stargate series called Stargate Universe. Though I guess calling it the Stargate multiverse would be more accurate, as there is occasional trans-universe travel in the series.
In any case, the basic idea is a device granting nearly ultimate power for the ultimate price.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2011, 05:04:38 pm »

snip

Not the device Rodney McKay got hit by? Oh great...
Well, that one too; I mistakenly said SG-1 since I thought someone might be a bit confused if I said the Stargate universe, as there is a Stargate series called Stargate Universe. Though I guess calling it the Stargate multiverse would be more accurate, as there is occasional trans-universe travel in the series.
In any case, the basic idea is a device granting nearly ultimate power for the ultimate price.

Really? I don't recall such a device from Universe.

Huh.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2011, 05:18:22 pm »

You could always take famous, real historians and appropriate weapons and other items they used for your own needs.
Because seriously, who wouldn't want to run around shooting guys with Ned Kelly's pistols, while wearing Napoleon's hat!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2011, 05:21:48 pm »

You could always take famous, real historians and appropriate weapons and other items they used for your own needs.
Because seriously, who wouldn't want to run around shooting guys with Ned Kelly's pistols, while wearing Napoleon's hat!
And Hitler's (Removable) mustache.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2011, 08:37:43 pm »

Books of the dead. And the Necronomicon.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2011, 07:10:57 am »

Ship of Nails. No joke.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2011, 12:29:00 pm »

Quick Google search found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_Scone
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »

Quick Google search found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_Scone
And, as already linked to, the Scone Of Stone is a parody of/expanded inspiration of that.  But the Stone Of Scone isn't mythological, while the Scone Of Scone is fictional.  (At least in our universe, but then that's sat on a shelf in UU and doesn't even have Slood in it! :) )

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2011, 03:03:00 am »

Inspired by Itnetlolor's previous suggestion of a quantum magazine, what about a gun with a Schrödinger's magazine? Every time you pull the trigger, the magazine is randomly either empty or full. Or has one round left. It doesn't really matter which it is, since it has only two states, and the previous state has no effect on the next state, so the magazine is essentially bottomless, though you have a 50/50 chance that the gun will actual fire each time.

Another idea I had was a meteor hammer of meteor control. Basically, whenever it's wielded, the position of one of it's heads will determine the position of a nearby meteor, but once it's wielded, that head takes on the exact velocity and trajectory of the meteor. So, if you are somehow strong enough to move a meteor, you can control it. If you let go, the meteor hammer immediately loses it's momentum. If you don't have the strength to control but still hold on, however, you're in for quite a ride.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]