Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Suddenly screws make more sense as trap components  (Read 3289 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Suddenly screws make more sense as trap components
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »

I am... quite shocked. I thought people always saw them that way. You mean no one else thought that's how screw traps worked? :/

For all practical purposes, a screw makes an ineffective trap compared to items such as giant blades (and the game follows this quite well) because it has a tendency to get lodged in its enemy and thus, can only kill one at a time. Well, maybe more if it's sufficiently huge but that's besides the point because anything sufficiently huge can kill.

Thus, the only conceivable reason one would use a screw trap would be to torture and scare away others. I personally endorse serrated hooks for this purpose... but we don't have those in this game...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

Umiman, you make me laugh out loud in glee!  :D

PLEASE give you description of a just as vivid description of your serrated hook traps. Pretty please?

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

Here's the idea:
You've got a bunch of rusty iron, serrated hooks with random spikes protruding out in every direction. They are hung by piano wire (or cat-intestine-wire, take your pick) from the ceilings of a somewhat dark area. The key is that the hooks will be just below eye level for the average person.

A thief or a warband will pass through the tunnel and through their recklessness, hooks will savagely get caught right between their eye and the upper chin. They will then panic, wildly attempt to remove the hook, and in doing so, tug on the wire that the hook is attached to. This will signal similar hooks, lying on the floor or on the walls, to come flying out, lashing at the victim and if not brutally ripping flesh from bone, get more hooks caught onto the poor sap.

Each time the victim struggles and tugs on the wire, the hooks continue to lash and strike, tearing meat and slowly taking apart the victim with each lash and hook. Hooks that were embedded in the sap pull back with force with each lash, taking with it whatever it was holding onto, be it flesh, eyes, or an entire limb. This process of whipping, hooking, and tearing continues until the victim either dies or stops moving.

Here's where the fun begins. Presumably, if the person had any comrades, this will be the time when they try to save the poor, crying, sniveling, blood-sodden mess of a creature. He will be whimpering to them, about how if he doesn't move, nothing happens, and they've got to save him now. They will cautiously approach the creature who is probably now hanging suspended from the air by a myriad of nearly invisible hooks, watching for hooks in the air, watching the dank walls, the poorly lit floors littered with dozens of clawing hooks...

Ahh... but the wire is timed, you see. If the victim doesn't move after a few minutes, all the hooks merely pull back with incredible force, including the one latched in his face in the first place, tearing a huge portion of his face from his skull, most likely taking whatever remains of the nose, the upper lip, and the eye with it. The rest of the body soon follows and the creature basically explodes outward while retaining basic skeletal form. Death is now certain, with the creature visibly missing half a face, and most likely huge portions of its outer body. And even better, since he isn't actually missing any vital systems, his friends and himself will think they have a chance! "If only we can stop the bleeding" they say! "You can make it! Let's get out of here!" they exclaim... but ah... such fools. You cannot survive when most of your body is missing. The victim will die slowly, and he will pass away in sheer, unbelievable, unstoppable pain. He will die thinking he has a chance, that he managed to escape the trap alive. It's beautiful.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

I admire your verbal skill, umiman. I can talk myself out of most situations and have been repeatedly commended on having a good command of language, but I lack this sheer talent for brutality. I also tried to express my feelings about having to watch a fortress of beloved dwarves mutilated and slaughtered, but with feeble results. I hope this skill will come with time as I play more Dwarf Fortress.
fox has become enraged!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Cripes, for anyone remotely familiar with screws and torque and such, can you imagine how much that freaking thing would have?
It could push 12 of itself up a hill, no problem.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

ZedEh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

@umiman:
Watch Hellraiser much? That's ok.  Pinhead is the greatest movie monster-villain, bar none.  He's the only one who can deliver cornball horror catchphrases and be taken seriously.  Love'em.  Dedicated, earnest, sincere & true evil.

Honestly, for the video the money shot is when the thing ramps up the bank and you see the screws turning underneath.  Definitely an OH SH*T! moment.

our sig will appear here

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

ZedEh: Hehe, not quite but you're on the money. I watched one scene from the movie where they are in space when I was.... 5? 6? And one of the dudes got his skin torn off. It sparked my curiosity so I did quite a bit of research on the practical applications of torture by the removal of skin (my parents are quite liberal in that they let me read whatever the hell I want).

It's always stuck with me. Forceful removing of the skin is such a beautiful technique. I can't think of anything more physically painful.

I didn't know they did screws in it though. I always thought it was nails...

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 11:26:00 am »

I always thought that since these are giant screws that can be used in two-tile water pumps, that they were basically set into the ground and the trap just opens up the floor so goblins fall in and get ground into sausage by the turning churning screw.

(if it were !!on fire!!, then it would be a turning churning burning screw.)

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 11:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>Forceful removing of the skin is such a beautiful technique. I can't think of anything more physically painful.</STRONG>

Mechanical deboning comes pretty close.

Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 02:37:00 am »

The hook trap has the weakness that if the target is unusualy strong(troll etc) it will be able to just rip the hooks from the wall. And any allies of the trapped person can just use their sword to slash some of the wires.

In terms of effectiveness, i'd go with my own dwarven firestorm defense. Booze explosions are pretty lethal and anything that can get through it without burning to crisp will be very drunk.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 05:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>In terms of effectiveness, i'd go with my own dwarven firestorm defense. Booze explosions are pretty lethal and anything that can get through it without burning to crisp will be very drunk.</STRONG>

If you're looking for a low-maintenance version, may I present to you the following (now with 100% more OHGODITBURNS action):

code:
[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_FIRESTORM]
[ADJECTIVE:dwarven]
[NAME:firestorm system:firestorm systems]
[DAMAGE:200:HEAT]
[WEIGHT:160]
[HITS:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[METAL]

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 07:01:00 am »

You folks do realize that on 99,99% of the game forums this topic would get locked and Uniman perma banned. But luckily there are still places where actions speak louder than words, as Uniman in real life regularly donates to charity and helps old ladies cross the street.

With this I release the thread from my evil clutches and let it back on topic.

With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 08:03:00 am »

umiman, I am now officially calling dibs on a trap component mod. Any ideas to help me out?
I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

I've got rotating fanblades, huge hammers and reciprocating battering rams in my MA mod. You can help me as well.  ;)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 10:02:00 am »

Personally, I have come up with:

-Giant crushing pistons
-Huge spiked rollers
-Barbed wire snares

Y'know what? You seem to have some pretty good ideas. Wanna collaborate?

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.
Pages: 1 [2] 3