Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Suddenly screws make more sense as trap components  (Read 3298 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Suddenly screws make more sense as trap components
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

Anything can be turned into a trap. You guys don't need my help, just consult yourselves. The general rule is the more unexpected it is, the more effective it becomes.

Mlittle: Yeah! I donate to very good causes. Like the Association for the Feeding of Improvished Amphibians.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

Instead of worrying about traps, I mostly just have dogs.

So many dogs.

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

*Runs like hell from the insanity of Uniman*

Seriously we better make sure he has a perfect life or he might just well become the next real life Jigsaw.  :eek:

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>Ahh... but the wire is timed, you see. If the victim doesn't move after a few minutes, all the hooks merely pull back with incredible force, including the one latched in his face in the first place, tearing a huge portion of his face from his skull, most likely taking whatever remains of the nose, the upper lip, and the eye with it. The rest of the body soon follows and the creature basically explodes outward while retaining basic skeletal form. Death is now certain, with the creature visibly missing half a face, and most likely huge portions of its outer body. And even better, since he isn't actually missing any vital systems, his friends and himself will think they have a chance! "If only we can stop the bleeding" they say! "You can make it! Let's get out of here!" they exclaim... but ah... such fools. You cannot survive when most of your body is missing. The victim will die slowly, and he will pass away in sheer, unbelievable, unstoppable pain. He will die thinking he has a chance, that he managed to escape the trap alive. It's beautiful.</STRONG>

I find your ideas interesting and wish to learn more.

Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »

Personally...

Nanowire... not truly possible in dwarf fortress, but wire so thin it can cut through flesh easily, with the slightest pressure...  Would be pretty much impossible to see, too...

Just imagine a group of goblins walking down a hallway, and suddenly, wires spring up all around them.  Four of them scream; they where lucky, and death came quickly.  The rest pause, turning around.  One of them moves slightly, and feels something dig into the fleshy part of his shin.  He jumps back, but there are too many wires, everywhere.  One rips open his calf.  He screams, and falls over, flailing.  Every movement rips off a chunk of flesh, as the wires dig into him, deeper and deeper.  He skins himself, as he tries desperately to get free, trying to grab wires and thrust them away, only to have them cut into his hand, and sever the tendons.

The rest try to run, but it's too late.  They are surrounded.  One or two freeze, as the rest fall among the deadly wires and are sliced to bits.  But the trap isn't over yet.  After a time, they reset.  Everything in the hallway is sliced to bits as the wires move back, into an unassuming position, ready for their next victims.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:59:17 pm by penguinofhonor »

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

Duh, Adamantine :P

Also, nothing beats having your floor made up of a series of giant counter-rotating sawblades.

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2008, 11:25:00 pm »

It is my intent to have a hallway consisting of 6 steel sawblades per tile and five rows deep. They wont stand a chance. I just can't wait to see the debris fly!
I might just give goblins severonbreak. Goblin spleens-a flying!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2008, 11:40:00 pm »

Unfortunately, after some testing, that only happens if they have [SEVERONBREAKS] and die to extreme temperature.  Just the severing tag won't accomplish it.

I want to make a "blender" trap, which is simply a pit that contains a single weapon trap stuffed with as many giant serrated discs as I can cram into it.  I want to see how far the gore will fly.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

This other Youtube video proves your point far more effectively:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZq77hg19FM

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2008, 01:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Unfortunately, after some testing, that only happens if they have [SEVERONBREAKS] and die to extreme temperature.  Just the severing tag won't accomplish it.

I want to make a "blender" trap, which is simply a pit that contains a single weapon trap stuffed with as many giant serrated discs as I can cram into it.  I want to see how far the gore will fly.</STRONG>

I could send you my current fortress.

Four, identical, three-wide, ten-long entrances into my fort.  Two rows of cage traps, followed by seven rows of weapon traps, loaded with 10 LSSDs (Large, Serrated, Steel Discs) each.  Granted, they're not complete.  I think I've got 180 LSSDs left to go (grand total of 840 LSSDs by the end).

On the up side: Legendary weaponsmith!  I didn't even need a mood for it.

[ May 11, 2008: Message edited by: Khosan ]

Themage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2008, 08:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>I like the way you think, Umiman.</STRONG>

ditto

he lakes are filled with dwarven blood because of the elephant and goblin attacks at last note they made a town together~Boatmurdered

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

Hmm. I was thinking a screw trap would work much like one of these ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fleischwolf-zerlegt.jpg

or these more goblin-sized ones. http://www.midwesternresearch.com/iw_products.m4p.pvx?;products_no_tree?company=I    NC?cat=16031

Dig hole, insert screw, add a wound-up coil (using a mechanism) instead of the manual crank ... victim steps in, *whirr*, mince meat.

[Just watch the local newspapers. Every couple of months I guess there'll be news about some worker at a meat factory losing his finger(s), hand(s), sometimes his upper torso (depending on the size of the machine and how quickly someone reached the emergency stop button) trying to clean a running meat grinder.]

Edit: Ouch. http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=meat+grinder+accident&btnG=Google-Suche&meta=
45.000 hits for "meat grinder accident". And the best thing: The top Announcement is about a baby getting stuck in a grinder. I guess sometimes life is stranger than DF ...)

[ May 11, 2008: Message edited by: Samyotix ]

Pages: 1 2 [3]