Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intentional !!FUN!!  (Read 1751 times)

ironfist221

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Intentional !!FUN!!
« on: December 26, 2011, 02:10:09 am »

So I had an old fortress that I dug out of a large crater... I had long since given up playing that world due to a lack of certain criteria but didn't quite have the will to abandon it. So rather than take 4 seconds to navigate a menu and select the boring, dwarf friendly choice, I decided to do something FUN.

Instead I took around 4 hours constructing a simple flooding system that drew water from the river and filled my fortress like a giant bowl. Slowly. Ineffectively. In fact... the only thing that drowned in the end was a dog. All the dwarves managed to pull themselves out of the top level as the water began to flow over. So I was left with a completely unrecoverable, flooded fortress, and some disgruntled dripping wet dwarves wandering around with no jobs. It was the saddest bit of fun I've ever had.

Anyways, what FUN have you wrought upon the hapless, unsuspecting victims you call your Dwarves?
Quote from: Abraham_Lincoln
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it’s difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Intentional !!FUN!!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 02:27:51 am »

My favorite was possibly when I first discovered the danger room. I trained up a couple of elite armored squads, wielding copper and iron. One squad of copper-clad sworddwarves, one of iron-clad axedwarves.
The axedwarves made up the police force. Beatings in this fort meant Swift decapitation.

Well, I began to notice how my nice, legendary warriors ran at least twice as fast as all the other lazier dwarves. And it was taking a little while to move some things from stockpile to stockpile. I got bored with them lazy peasants.

So I hatched a brilliant plan. Why not stick all the peasants in the danger room unarmored?

I stuck in about ten. about half of them died of exhaustion. the other half became great warriors, and strong too. I was beginning to like my power.

I stuck all of the peasants in the fort in.

You have a good half of the haulers dead, the rest are terribly upset at my cruelty. They begin to revolt. My legendary axe-wielders make certain to kill everyone who dares throw a tantrum.

In the end of it, I have an only slightly reduced military (all due to tantrums and subsequent beatings), and I don't mind that much, because the survivors are now extremely mentally fortified.

But I have about two psychopathic peasants left.

And then a few babblers

And an emo

And a slightly undersized catacombs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 08:38:46 am »

Back in my first Sparta fort...

I segregated the farmer population from the military Dorfs and the Dorfs who live by.

Skip skip skip

10 years later, candy and steel clad behemoth of an army (none of whom were danger room trained), tamper tantrum starts when a bunch of farmers get nommed on by an antman swarm, and I get a whole lot of berserk Dorfs.
The military Dorfs were the last to go down.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 08:43:33 am »

Triggered a loyalty cascade hoping to take out corrupt spearman baron in an ivory jungle outpost.  He killed everyone. One marksdwarf surivived, broken minded and obedient.  Neither were a part of the civilization anymore. Both kept training alone. the marksdwarf died of infection. The ex-baron wiped out all goblin and migrant threats.

the horror...the horror
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 01:57:34 pm »

Triggered a loyalty cascade hoping to take out corrupt spearman baron in an ivory jungle outpost.  He killed everyone. One marksdwarf surivived, broken minded and obedient.  Neither were a part of the civilization anymore. Both kept training alone. the marksdwarf died of infection. The ex-baron wiped out all goblin and migrant threats.

the horror...the horror
All hail Baron von Kickass.

Closest I've got to deliberate FUN was when I tried to starve one fort on purpose, to see how long they'd last. Turns out dwarves are resourceful little buggers, eating rats and lizards and stuff.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 02:22:40 pm »

the horror...the horror
He actually attacked any new migrants that arrived?  Sweet.  Too bad you couldn't manage to have a wife for him to share the fortress with.  You could have rebuilt the dwarven population with "loyal" citizens that way. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 04:05:48 pm »

the horror...the horror
He actually attacked any new migrants that arrived?  Sweet.  Too bad you couldn't manage to have a wife for him to share the fortress with.  You could have rebuilt the dwarven population with "loyal" citizens that way. ;)

I wonder if children inherit their parents' allegiances?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 05:22:10 pm »

the horror...the horror

I wonder if children inherit their parents' allegiances?

The parents and children kill each other

Magmodeus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 07:36:46 pm »

So I had this successful fort and decided to destroy it. So I made this meeting area that was held up by supports that, when released, would make everything fall 6 z levels down, sadly not into magma. So I had a dwarf pull a lever that destroyed the supports and I watched my population hit rock bottom. A majority of them died, and the survivors were being taken the hospital. Once all the survivors were placed in traction benches, I had a doctor pull another lever. The best part about this hospital was that it had floodgates with liquid hot magma waiting to be released. The floodgates opened and the magma devoured the rest of my population.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 03:29:12 am »

Ive never been very imaginative when it comes to self inflicted fun. mostly I just abandon, but when I actually want fun, its along the lines of tapping into the circus after securing all routes out of the fort underground that may slow the clowns down and sending all dwarfs at them. the last time I did that was a fort of around 130-140 dorfs against 99 clowns. all dorfs were killed, and in exchange, 1 clown was taken down by a merchant guard.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 03:38:49 am »

Intentional? Hmm...There was that one time I sen't my only remaining dwarf to attack a bunch of trolls loitering in my dining hall, but that was more out of anger that the bastards destroyed Bulwarkdwellings, and murdered everyone except a single dwarf, rather than wanting to simply kill the dwarf off. A heroic last stand type of thing.

Other than that, I don't think there's been a single time I've intentionally tried to end the lives of my drunken little followers. Despite how much the little buggers piss me off at times.