Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What cavern level am I in?  (Read 2593 times)

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What cavern level am I in?
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:16:49 am »

So I breached the first cavern at z-27 and got a message about a downward passage. I keep going down and  breach the cavern again a couple of times as I reveal it. Then at about where I think the second cavern is (z-41) one of my miners decides to go exploring before I can seal another unexpected breach. A minute later I get a message about a deep pit and another cavern. I can now see water all the way down at z-56.
Is that the bottom of the third cavern or the second? I've never dug beyond the second cavern before and this is deeper than that.
Also is there any program that will display the caverns in 3D? It took me ages to work out the route my miner took with all the dead end passages and branching slopes.

This is a standard world gen with no mods. The only setting I've tweaked from default is world size and amount of ore.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: What cavern level am I in?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 07:46:55 am »

If you can see trees called blood thorns, third. If no, probably not third. If there are nether-caps in addition, also third for sure. Blood thorns are surer, though - they don't require any water to be on the third layer.

Also, search for Stonesense. It does something 3D.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:20:35 am »

Assuming this is your only breach, if you see Goblin-caps, Spore trees, Black-caps, and Tunnel tubes then you are 2nd level.  If you see only those with Nether-caps and Blood thorns then third.   If none of them then you are still in the first.  Wildlife present is less reliable as an indicator because passages can connect the levels.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:35:07 pm »

If you definitively know that you've accessed the first and second caverns, then the lake at the bottom of that pit is definitely the third cavern layer. Deep pits always connect two cavern layers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:48:33 pm »