Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Lets Play Critical Mass Again: Mission 7 complete (More pilots always wanted)...  (Read 5228 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

So, earlier this year I ran a shortish but fun LP of this game, but much to my embarrasment lost interest following the highly frustrating death of my character (long range snipe from unseen enemy).

For those of you that hove not come across this gem, it is a tick based top down 2d squad based space shooter with permadeath and semi-procedurally generated missions, as well as a full editor for ships and missions. We will be playing the full vanilla version as the default race.

The thread for the old LP can be found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75751.0 - but as a summary the following things occured: We were very green and not so effective and as a result of our (in)actions a large number of war crimes too place, as did a large number of green on green incidents with the odd bit of mad heroism thrown in for good measure. That thread also contains a basic introdution to the game and links to its webpage.

Anyway, to buisness. I feel like playing it again. It would be more fun though if I could some of you on board again. As before I will start as squadron leader Lt. Monkeyhead, with the intent of leading a loyal squadron of volunteers to fame and glory. In all probabiliy we will all die in horrible fuck ups, but its all good. If you with to take a seat, please add your pilots name and the characterisitcs you would like your ship to have so I can at least make some effort to give you something you would enjoy dying in. Promotion will be by the way of dead mens boots, so you could end up promoted from Private to Lieutenant in one mission.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:39:38 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Critical Mass - Again!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:51:31 am »

Pilot Roster, Ship Preference and Combat Records

• Lt. Monkeyhead - Fighter/Bomber
  • 2nd Lt Inteuniso - Fighter/Bomber
  • Sgt Warhammer - Heavy Weapons
  • Pvt Bulldog - Scout
  • Pvt Hanzoku - High Speed Attack Craft
  • Pvt Jopax - Firepower
  • Awaiting Further Recruits

The Glorious Dead

• None Yet
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:38:32 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:19:06 am »

I'm in!
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:55:42 am »

Cool. What you looking for in a ship, 2nd Lt. Inteuniso?
This is a blank sig.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:56:50 am »

Gimme a ship, Dread Fear series if possible, or any of the ones that get three shots per turn
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:58:46 am »

Sign me up! I'd like a scout.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:10:34 pm »

Thats enough pilots to start. Mission 1 will be posted later this evening or early tomorrow (based on GMT, its 5 pmish now).
This is a blank sig.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like a chance in when a slot opens up. Anything with high attack and speed values.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I would like to apply for gloryhunting and horrible pain if possible!!!

I prefer rapid firing stuff, if there isn't any of that then I would like something with quite a bit of oomph behind its shots (pretty lights are a bonus).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Critical Mass: Mission 1 Update! (More pilots always needed)...
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 05:03:29 pm »

Mission 1 - Starting as we mean to go on...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, mission 1 for the greenhorns of Bay12 squadron. We start with a doozy - lets go blow up some hospitals! Me and Inteuniso take Vampire stealth bombers. Warhammer gets an armed to the teeth Falcon gunship. We lack funds for any further support, so I hope this misson goes well enough for us to earn more assets.

We drop into the sector to be greeted with a rather nice sight - an asteroid field useful for hiding in. We assume a tight colnum formation and slowly make our way to the other side of it... before breaking into an open formation ready to smash those hosital ships. Where are they?

CONTACT!

Thats no hospital ship - thats a heavily armed enemy Panther gunship, probably thier squadron leader. Attack at will!

This could be too easy... 2 heavy missiles launched from point blank range...

One impacts on the starboard shields of the enemy ship, dropping them totally. We collide in a glancing blow, dropping my speed to zero. A second enemy gunship appears on my screens - hopefully he hasnt noticed me yet, and even if he has I dont think he would be stupid enough to shoot at me with his squadmate in the firing line. Inteuniso and Warhammer are turning and accelerating to join the fight.

That prediction proves to be correct. I get enough time to move out of the firing line. Warhammer is still turning to join us. Inteuniso has loosed off one missile, badly missing a fast moving enemy bomber which streaks into view. He looks certain to take at least one missile full in the face, but has an opportunity to fire off one of his own at the alredy damaged gunship... he could be in trouble here.

My fears turn out to be badly founded. Yes, Inteuniso takes a missile and has his front shield dropped to 50%, but he manages to land a heavy missile on the gunship, dropping its front shields fully. Having made our initial pass, we scrub speed to turn and re-engage. Warhammer is turning to make his first pass, which could be interesting.

Whilst he takes a light missile head on (dropping his front shileds to 50%), Warhammer lands a third direct hit on the alredy damaged gunship, hurting its sensors and thrusters. He still has three loaded tubes so should finish it off, if he can avoid the attentions of the second gunship and an enemy drone.

3 loaded tubes, and 3 misses. Warhammer does well to survive being hit again, but his ship is wrecked. 2 missile tubes gone, and no ability to turn left. More worrying though is that the 3 missed shots seem to be heading somewhere nasty...

Fortunatley those missiles miss our squadmate. But its not all good news. That drone managed to fire off a heavy missile, killing Warhammer. We will miss the large number of missiles his ship was carriying, and its ability to fire them in large numbers. I have managed to turn back to face some targets, and have a shot on the undamaged gunship.

One of the 2 missiles I fire hit the gunship, dropping its starboard shields. I am also moving fast enough to hopefully avoid any return fire. The bad news is though that Warhammers killier fancies his chances at getting another kill to thier name...however, I am more than fast enough to get behind the gunship before its missiles reach me, but it stays on my tail as I turn looking for a target. A promising one emerges...

Two missiles were dispatched at the already shot up gunship. I am safe from the drone as it is reloading...

Textbook. One of my 2 heavy missiles vapourizes the enemy ship. This does place me in mild peril however, as the drone is still chasing me, and the enemy heavy bomber re-emerges from wherever it was hiding... what might help is the welcome sight of Inteuniso coming to my aid, all guns blazing. I elect to take the risky course of action of turning to keep the chases following me, into the line of fire of my squadmate.

This doesnt work however. The drone's pilot continues his good day, and gets a missile heading straight for the unshielded port side of my craft. I am dead if I dont eject. I might ie even if I eject. Prefering "might" to "will", I hit the eject button and somehow escape the resulting explosion in my pod, which jumps into hyperspace back to base. Outnumbered, Inteuniso decides to leave and live to fight another day, and jumps out of the sector.

Mission Summary:

A failure. We didnt even get to see the hospital ships. I bag one high value kill but waste a useful ship. Inteuniso makes it home, but Warhammer is reduced to dust and radiation in the void. I suspect the pilot of the enemy drone responsible for so many of our troubles today will find themselves promoted very soon.

Pilot Roster, Ship Preference and Combat Records

On Duty
  • Lt. Monkeyhead - Fighter/Bomber (1 mission, 1 kill, 1 ship lost)
  • 2nd Lt Inteuniso - Fighter/Bomber (1 mission)

At Base:
  • Sgt Bulldog - Scout
  • Pvt Hanzoku - High Speed Attack Craft
  • Pvt Jopax - Firepower
  • Pvt Warhammer Jr - Heavy Weapons
  • Pvt Cyrus - High Speed
  • Pvt Dsarker - Dakka
  • Pvt Delta Foxtrot - Scout/Drone
  • Pvt Hexedmagica - Shields
  • Awaiting Further Recruits

The Glorious Dead

• Sgt Warhammer - Killed by an enemy Drone during Mission 1: Attack Hospitals (1 mission)

Mission 2 tomorrow people.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:31:46 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 05:06:35 pm »

I...was killed.... by a DRONE!?

bah, warhammer Jr enlists to avenge his father
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 05:07:25 pm »

I volunteer for honor and glory!

Pilot name is Cyrus, preference is High Speed Attack!

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »

I'z enliztin', ya squig! Let'z get some DAKKA!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 05:08:31 pm »

Hey, that drone also very nearly got me. All new victims recruits added to the roster. :)
This is a blank sig.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 06:38:54 pm »

This here the recruiting office? I'd like something light, fast and fragile. Something that would put tie-fighters to shame. Scout ship sounds like a sure bet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6