Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mithril & Ebony  (Read 10739 times)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Mithril & Ebony
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 08:39:37 pm »

In TES Ebony is just a form of tiered metal, which in itself is incredibly easy to mod in.  Though, I'd be extremely curious about being able to harvest trees and process the wood to produce metal, sort of how you could theoretically harvest animals to get the iron from their blood.  While iron-blood is much more sophisticated and more alchemic, I think dwarves would be able to smelt metal out of anything, even wood.

Well as ebony exists it is an incredibly dense wood and was a wonderful little renewable for whacking stick. I expect giving its material stats that of something half way between steel and adamantine in it's raws and giving it a weapon material tag (Like Spellwood is in Genesi Mod) would have the desired effect. Perhaps this would be easier than adding a new metal vein altogether into worldgen processes. Though...it does sound the domain of the pointy eared tree huggers
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 08:46:50 pm »

Given the long history of Mithril in fantasy realms-

Who wants to be derivative of a Tolkien fantasy realm when you can dispense manual abortions via steel boot to the stomach?

Can somebody PLEASE sig this?
Also, how can you dispense abortions in this game?

Sigged~
I'm with you on that one.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 08:52:05 pm »

In TES Ebony is just a form of tiered metal, which in itself is incredibly easy to mod in.  Though, I'd be extremely curious about being able to harvest trees and process the wood to produce metal, sort of how you could theoretically harvest animals to get the iron from their blood.  While iron-blood is much more sophisticated and more alchemic, I think dwarves would be able to smelt metal out of anything, even wood.

Well as ebony exists it is an incredibly dense wood and was a wonderful little renewable for whacking stick. I expect giving its material stats that of something half way between steel and adamantine in it's raws and giving it a weapon material tag (Like Spellwood is in Genesi Mod) would have the desired effect. Perhaps this would be easier than adding a new metal vein altogether into worldgen processes. Though...it does sound the domain of the pointy eared tree huggers
My idea would be a bit different.  Add a reaction to the smelter, taking 10 ebony logs and producing 1 ebony bar, with the bar being a defined metal and not some hax "it's a metal now" using get_reagent_type or anything.  I'd probably give it properties between bronze and steel, as it is renewable and shouldn't be too powerful.  It wouldn't be TES Ebony but my own little toy.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 08:59:01 pm »

...Yeah okay that's a better idea than mine. Back to the alchemy table! TNT+Wambler = ...Win?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 09:40:38 pm »

My idea would be a bit different.  Add a reaction to the smelter, taking 10 ebony logs and producing 1 ebony bar, with the bar being a defined metal and not some hax "it's a metal now" using get_reagent_type or anything.  I'd probably give it properties between bronze and steel, as it is renewable and shouldn't be too powerful.  It wouldn't be TES Ebony but my own little toy.

Sounds good, actually. You should market it. Perhaps, though, it could use 3-5 logs, a flux stone, and perhaps one more reagent to produce 1-2 bars.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 09:49:08 pm »

As other said, it's easy to mod in new metals.

As for them being officially added, I was under the impression Toady tries to distance himself from borrowing to heavily from tolkein and the like, which is why we have adamantine (which has ancient origins) rather than mythril (which originated with tolkein) and why we have goblins (again, old as fuck) but no orcs (tolkein). Dwarves and elves are both from germanic mythology and tolkein borrowed them, so many of the traits DF dwarves share with tolkein dwarves is just a matter of the germanic origins (living undergound, craftsmanship, hairyness) and predated tolkein, basically the same can be said of elves, a lot of what DF elves have, tolkein elves had, and so did pre-tolkein elves. The thing I'm most curious about is where toady got the idea to make the pointy-ears cannibals, it may be to reflect that in myths elves tend to be of questionable morality.

As for including TES materials, I highly doubt toady will do that, he seems to enjoy sticking to  old/ancient sources and only lightly drawing from modern ideas (eg. the type of goblin found in DF isn't the same as one would expect from the myths, they seem closer to tolkeins - and before the "add orcs too then" things comes up, goblins and orcs, the two are used interchangeably in some of tolkein's work, and in others orcs are a type of goblin, so to have both as a species would be somewhat redundant)

Anyway, the point: I don't think toady will be borrowing any metals from tolkein, or TES, or any other modern fantasy pieces.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 10:48:44 pm »

Sounds good, actually. You should market it. Perhaps, though, it could use 3-5 logs, a flux stone, and perhaps one more reagent to produce 1-2 bars.

As a budding modder, I am unsure if this would be the right way to specify ebony wood:
Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:EBONY]
Would that work? I am using the ebony tree that whoever posted here.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 10:52:30 pm »

I believe that would do it, yes.  I may explore other options, like seeing if you can assign an ore to a tree so that it would become a smelter reaction automatically, or perhaps specifying the tree as a type like flux is done, so you could request "any ore-tree" and it would mix and match the trees so long as they were flagged right.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 10:57:08 pm »

Alright. Here's the reaction:

[REACTION:EBONY_MAKING]
[NAME:make ebony bars]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:EBONY]
[REAGENT:C:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:D:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[REAGENT:E:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:EBONY]
[REAGENT:F:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:EBONY]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:EBONY][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Testing shall soon ensue.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 10:58:27 pm »

I started a new thread for this discussion, can't miss it (although apparently you did).

I'm not sure if having the metal and wood have the same name is a good idea.  Might work fine, probably won't, better be safe and name them differently.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 10:58:35 pm »

Alright. Here's the reaction:

[REACTION:EBONY_MAKING]
[NAME:make ebony bars]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:EBONY]
[REAGENT:C:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:D:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[REAGENT:E:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:EBONY]
[REAGENT:F:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:EBONY]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:EBONY][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Testing shall soon ensue.

And so begins the days when we will see "Hematite Forests" rusting in the wind.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 11:03:17 pm »

It seems to be effective, at least in the arena. Oh, and here's the metal. I made it a tad bit denser than gold, with a little worse of an edge than bronze.

[INORGANIC:EBONY]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:ebony]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten ebony]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:ebony vapor]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:4:0]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:5]
[SPEC_HEAT:435]
[MELTING_POINT:11868]
[BOILING_POINT:14140]
[ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_METAL]
[ITEMS_BARRED]
[ITEMS_SCALED]
[SOLID_DENSITY:21000]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:20020]
[MOLAR_MASS:80000]
[IMPACT_YIELD:502000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:803500]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:507]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:602000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:843500]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:547] no data, used 110
[TENSILE_YIELD:162000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:221000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:156] 110
[TORSION_YIELD:162000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:221000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:156]
[SHEAR_YIELD:162000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:221000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:156] no data, used 110
[BENDING_YIELD:162000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:221000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:156]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]

Now I'll test it in dwarf mode.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 11:04:51 pm »

I started a new thread for this discussion, can't miss it (although apparently you did).

I'm not sure if having the metal and wood have the same name is a good idea.  Might work fine, probably won't, better be safe and name them differently.

Oops. I shall repost this in aforementioned thread.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games
Pages: 1 2 [3]