Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mithril & Ebony  (Read 10528 times)

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mithril & Ebony
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:54:13 pm »

Where is Mithril in the Dwarf mode? Given the long history of Mithril in fantasy realms, I would have expected this to be in the game. Mithril is described as ten times the weight of gold, which according to Dwarf Fortress Wiki is exactly the amount Adamantine is worth. Is Mithril the same as Adamantine, or can we expect that soon?

I've been playing a lot of Skyrim between short breaks from DF, and I'm curious about Ebony. Will ebony make an appearance in DF?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Mithril & Ebony
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:05:02 pm »

Ten times the weight of gold? That sounds like the exact opposite of Adamantine, to be honest.

As for Ebony, I certainly hope so. Just think of all the beautiful stuff I could make with it...

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 10:06:36 pm »

It is entirely possible to mod in both metals. In fact, many mods have done mithril, including the Genesis mod by Deon and Legends of Foreign Realms by Narhiril.
Here's a TES mod. It's not completely done, though, and I don't know what HAS been done.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:07:06 pm »

I think he means worth. Though if he means weight, then SCREW SLADE WAR HAMMERS UHURHUHUHUH

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:07:16 pm »

Adamantine IS mythril a.k.a the generic ultimate metal.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 10:10:35 pm »

I just got a badass idea. If Ebony gets implemented someday, I'll have to see if I can mod in chess sets, made using it and Ivory. Then see if I can have it train my dwarves' mental abilities.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 10:11:25 pm »

I just got a badass idea. If Ebony gets implemented someday, I'll have to see if I can mod in chess sets, made using it and Ivory. Then see if I can have it train my dwarves' mental abilities.

It could train military tactics.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 10:17:34 pm »

It could train military tactics.
Lying skill is easier.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 10:18:23 pm »

Ebony would be quite easy to mod into the game.  Copy the code from a tropical tree, raise the density to over 1000, change the prefstring, add to the raws, regen a world, then embark.  Or you can simply use the two DF equivalent species (blood thorn and glumprong).

Edit: In fact, here's one on the house for you (spoiler for space saving):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mithril is not in the game standard, but spoilerite contains many of the same physical properties.  If you want something different, you can add the tags [ITEMS_WEAPON], [ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED], [ITEMS_AMMO], [ITEMS_DIGGER], and [ITEMS_ARMOR] to platinum.  You won't even need to regen the world you're using to make use of these new tags.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:29:57 pm by Malecus »

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 10:50:07 pm »

Ebony is a volcanic glass used to make heavy armor, it's not related to the wood. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ebony

I agree that there aren't enough (official) fantasy metals in DF, but I don't think Toady is planning on adding anymore soon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 11:00:06 pm »

If Toady was going to add a new metal, he'd tell us.

...Or not tell us and just wait for us to !!DIG DEEPER!! in an update :P

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 11:04:45 pm »

Somewhere on the forum there's a years-old post from Toady explaining that he thought about using mithril intead of adamantine but it might be a technical violation of a trademark held by the Tolkein estate, though heaven knows it's a bit late for them to start filing lawsuits.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 11:06:38 pm »

Somewhere on the forum there's a years-old post from Toady explaining that he thought about using mithril intead of adamantine but it might be a technical violation of a trademark held by the Tolkein estate, though heaven knows it's a bit late for them to start filing lawsuits.

Dude, do you seriously want to fight a copyright zombie? Scary man.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 11:07:24 pm »

Scrolls!Ebony is effectively DF!obsidian, which makes things even easier.  Follow the rules I wrote for mithrilizing platinum.

The Tolkien Estate never trademarked 'mithril', so Toady's in the free to add it if he wants to.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 11:09:40 pm »

Toady should trademark Dorfs. He came up with the idea when TIME BEGAN.
Pages: [1] 2 3