Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mithril & Ebony  (Read 10523 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Mithril & Ebony
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 11:11:59 pm »

Somewhere on the forum there's a years-old post from Toady explaining that he thought about using mithril intead of adamantine but it might be a technical violation of a trademark held by the Tolkein estate, though heaven knows it's a bit late for them to start filing lawsuits.

Here (Footkerchief's summary post):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87282.msg2375633#msg2375633

Personally, I'm ok with the status quo with regards to the naming and number of fictional and real metals in the game.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 11:17:45 pm »

Ebony is a volcanic glass used to make heavy armor, it's not related to the wood. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ebony

I agree that there aren't enough (official) fantasy metals in DF, but I don't think Toady is planning on adding anymore soon.

...But can I use it to make chess sets?

EDIT: Oh, and thanks, Malecus. Definitely going to add that to my game later.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:19:35 pm by King DZA »

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 11:35:14 pm »

Ah but of course! I had not thought about the Tolkein family and their trademarks. A shame they would not lend use to DF, given that so much is already in Nethack.

Ebony is a weird one. In real life it's a wood. In Elder Scrolls an ore.

New ores in general would be awesome. Are there any to be added/promised?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 11:37:25 pm »

I believe Toady plans to introduce Trollerite, an ore of Umadinium.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 12:06:21 am »

Wait, someone earlier said Ebony is volcanic glass. Fuckin' isn't. Ebony is a kind of dense wood related to acacia, DF Genesis mod has Mithril which is Candy-lite. DF HAS Ebony in the form of trees. Obsidian is a kind of volcanic glass.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 12:44:34 am »

New ores in general would be awesome. Are there any to be added/promised?

Nope. Toady is currently only adding new materials when necessary for a feature he is currently working on (i.e. pottery, wool, wax, and vegetable oil a few updates ago). Minerals may come up again in Release 2 or whenever he looks at 3D mineral veins. See http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 01:56:29 am »

Thanks Urist Da Vinci! That sets a lot of my questions to rest.

Until then: All hail the most Dwarfish of Veggie Oil!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 03:38:08 am »

Given the long history of Mithril in fantasy realms-

Who wants to be derivative of a Tolkien fantasy realm when you can dispense manual abortions via steel boot to the stomach?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 04:01:36 am »

Wait, someone earlier said Ebony is volcanic glass. Fuckin' isn't. Ebony is a kind of dense wood related to acacia, DF Genesis mod has Mithril which is Candy-lite. DF HAS Ebony in the form of trees. Obsidian is a kind of volcanic glass.

Chill, man. In the Elder Scrolls lore ebony is a weird glass/ore-thingy used to make arms and armour. If you look at the OP you can see that he was talking about the TES kind of ebony all along.
Love, scriver~

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 04:08:43 am »

Chill, man. In the Elder Scrolls lore ebony is a weird glass/ore-thingy used to make arms and armour. If you look at the OP you can see that he was talking about the TES kind of ebony all along.

In the elder scrolls it's a nondescript lusterous ore supposedly the blood of some god or other and for some reason generates gold filligree.

Also i am angry when i get up at 4am. That and i also assumed he was just daft.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 04:15:02 am »

Who wants to be derivative of a Tolkien fantasy realm when you can dispense manual abortions via steel boot to the stomach?

Can somebody PLEASE sig this?
Also, how can you dispense abortions in this game?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 04:16:16 am »

Fighting. Enough trauma to a dorf causes a miscarriage i think.

gazoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 08:17:01 pm »

Sigged~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 08:21:35 pm »

It is entirely possible to mod in both metals. In fact, many mods have done mithril, including the Genesis mod by Deon and Legends of Foreign Realms by Narhiril.
Here's a TES mod. It's not completely done, though, and I don't know what HAS been done.

Ebony is in. What kind of TES mod it would be without ebony?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 08:28:29 pm »

In TES Ebony is just a form of tiered metal, which in itself is incredibly easy to mod in.  Though, I'd be extremely curious about being able to harvest trees and process the wood to produce metal, sort of how you could theoretically harvest animals to get the iron from their blood.  While iron-blood is much more sophisticated and more alchemic, I think dwarves would be able to smelt metal out of anything, even wood.
Pages: 1 [2] 3