Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Demographic insight  (Read 42239 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demographic insight
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2012, 06:23:42 am »

race: Caucasian
profession: Unemployed/freelance animator
social class: Middle-class
perferred sock color: Duh, rainbow of course
favorite way to kill a goblin: Slowly, while his friends watch. >:)

10 ladies so far. Yup, I counted. Honestly I expected a more even distribution. Apparently we're more likely to enjoy this kind of 'intellectual' game (I have no idea if that's actually true or not). Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2012, 06:32:29 am »

Race: Tall Dwarf
Profession: Sad IT'er
Social class: Not so upper
Preferred Sock color: Anything that does -not- show dirt
Favorite way to kill a goblin: Caging, torturing and killing only after failing to pit properly

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2012, 08:15:35 am »

Race: caucasian
Profession: IT Nerd / Content Manager1)
Social class: middlish
Preferred sock color: black I guess
Favorite way to kill a goblin: 10-z drop from a drawbridge (uprigt spears optional) or lots and lots of serrated discs.

1)
Accomplished Programmer
High Master Software Designer
Master DB Designer
Skilled Content Manager
Proficient Research Assistant (rusty)
Expert Student (rusty)
Adequate Cafeteria Clerk (rusty)
Novice Signalist (rusty)
Dabbling Postman (rusty)

Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
That's some prime signature material right there. Mind if I do?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:27:46 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:49 am »

race: Caucasian
profession: College / Part time web designer and programmer
social class: Getting poorer by the minute
perferred sock color: Black
favorite way to kill a goblin: Upright spears conveniently placed at the bottom of my dump-to-dungeon shaft.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2012, 09:51:40 am »

Um, no. You really have no idea how many white 20-something students there are in the world, do you?

Also, best of luck tracking my social security number down.

Date of birth, place of birth, and a little guess work and actually, yeah, you can figure out someone's SSN.

(Year -> middle two digits.  Place -> first three.  Last four -> assigned sequentially)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »

10 ladies so far. Yup, I counted. Honestly I expected a more even distribution. Apparently we're more likely to enjoy this kind of 'intellectual' game
But you may be less likely to then go on to poke your head above the parapets by actively joining the forum and then actually shouting "And I'm a girl!" in a thread such as this.  Don't give up hope.  (Should I also wish the same sentiment to all the boys here, possibly hoping for a hook-up on the off-chance? ;) )

Date of birth, place of birth, and a little guess work and actually, yeah, you can figure out someone's SSN.  (Year -> middle two digits.  Place -> first three.  Last four -> assigned sequentially)

Place of birth isn't (that I noted) mentioned much here at all.  Place of current residence might have been, or in other threads, and I suppose might still apply as the other when it comes to a number of the younger bods, but once at/beyond Higher Education age that's less likely, and you can't assume that they went to local places or even that the slightly older ones have at least temporarily returned.

Spoiler: As for me (click to show/hide)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2012, 02:34:03 pm »

Date of birth, place of birth, and a little guess work and actually, yeah, you can figure out someone's SSN.  (Year -> middle two digits.  Place -> first three.  Last four -> assigned sequentially)

Place of birth isn't (that I noted) mentioned much here at all.  Place of current residence might have been, or in other threads, and I suppose might still apply as the other when it comes to a number of the younger bods, but once at/beyond Higher Education age that's less likely, and you can't assume that they went to local places or even that the slightly older ones have at least temporarily returned.

True, it isn't. :)
I was just pointing out that your SSN isn't supposed to be secret, as all of the information necessary to figure it out is public information (in fact, the last four are most often left visible when it's "stared-out" or the four asked for for various things).

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2012, 04:37:40 pm »

race: caucasian american
profession: full-time student
social class: upper low-income
perferred sock color: black
favorite way to kill a goblin: Caged Magma Chute Drop
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2012, 07:14:19 pm »

True, it isn't. :)
I was just pointing out that your SSN isn't supposed to be secret, as all of the information necessary to figure it out is public information (in fact, the last four are most often left visible when it's "stared-out" or the four asked for for various things).

I have absolutely no clue what a social security number is for, anyway. What do you guys use it for?

Now, I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is with a friendly challenge to find me.
You know I'm 22, turning 23 this year. You also now know that I was born in East London (But I have never set foot in England!) and that I currently reside in Albany, Australia.

What is my last name?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2012, 07:39:10 pm »

race: caucasian  Canadian
profession: College Graduate. 
social class: Middle class, dork.
perferred sock color: White.
favorite way to kill a goblin: Cutting off limbs with an axe.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2012, 08:45:58 pm »

I have absolutely no clue what a social security number is for, anyway. What do you guys use it for?

It was supposed to be a number that you'd use to identify yourself in order to pay taxes and to track individuals' accounts within the Social Security program.

It's however morphed into a identity verification number (but it was never designed to be such) as it is inherently an insecure number (as I've stated).

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2012, 08:55:01 pm »

What is my last name?
Smith!

No... Singh!

No...  Wang!

/playing the odds...  And losing...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2012, 09:00:10 pm »

It was supposed to be a number that you'd use to identify yourself in order to pay taxes and to track individuals' accounts within the Social Security program.
For Australia, "Tax File Number" is the equivalent, as I understand it.  Niccolo might or might not have one, though, if I understand the implementation, and depending on personal circumstances.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2012, 09:07:48 pm »

Ten pages, and still no argyle enthusiasts. I feel betrayed...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2012, 09:09:30 pm »

For Australia, "Tax File Number" is the equivalent, as I understand it.  Niccolo might or might not have one, though, if I understand the implementation, and depending on personal circumstances.

Oohhh, right. Similar to a TFN. A little different, though, since we only use our TFNs for two purposes; paying our taxes and filling out tax-related forms. Well, that's the only use for it I've found. I mean, you're welcome to steal it and pay my taxes for me...
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16