Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Demographic insight  (Read 42924 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demographic insight
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2012, 10:35:13 am »

• age: Let's just say (ruining the whole data-gathering process, from the start) that I'm older than 35.  (I could be many of you guys' father.  Probably not, though.
  • race: 100m hurdles White British, specifically with Scottish Borders ancestry along the paternal line.
  • profession: IT Professional, general science geek and amateur polymath (attempting, failing)
  • social class: Brought up as upper-middle, in a large mining-orientated community, hard to say what level I'm at now at, nobody calls themselves working class, where I live, especially the working ones...
  • perferred sock color: black/dark/whatever's on the top of the pile/easiest to grab from the clothes-horse first thing in the morning.  I need some more socks.  But I need handkerchiefs even more, this one's been in my pocket for ages and needs washing and I seem to have lost all the others.
  • favorite way to kill a goblin: Effectively, by boredom.  Mostly keeping them in their cages for ever and ever and ever while never getying around to actually using them to live-train my squads.  Actual major cause of death for goblins that never get trapped is a crossbow bolt through some vital organ, or another.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:15:25 am by Starver »

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2012, 12:08:36 am »

Race: Ooh fun one. To the casual American observer I look white. When I was in the Mediterranean I was told by non Americans I could be Spanish or Italian - they seemed surprised I was an American, and in Turkey many people spoke to me in Turkish before figuring out I couldn't understand them. I am technically half hispanic but clearly take after my non hispanic parent. Culturally I am 100% white American liberal. (No I haven't played LCS).
Profession: Marketing
Social Class: Well, comparing the whole world I'm pretty well off. Comparing America and my state I'm mid to upper middle class. Comparing the county I live in I'm poor. (protip: how much you earn is irrelevant if you don't take cost of living into consideration).
Preferred Sock Color: I don't really have a preference. White seems like PE class so um, most of my socks are brown or grey.
Favorite Way To Kill A Goblin: Caging and dropping over 10z levels. Splat.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2012, 04:30:38 am »

race: dwarf? no wait...i have a beautiful pale skin, if that's what you were asking
profession: ICT student
social class: not high enough?
preferred sock colour: colour does not matter, but it must have stripes around the ankle
favourite way to kill a goblin: dipping in magma, inside wooden cages
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2012, 04:56:14 am »

Race: Born in Philippines, live in Canada permanently.
Profession: Aspiring writer, freelance writing, part-time cashier.
Social Class: Somewhere between middle and lower class.
Preferred Sock Color: Orange and Green.
Favorite way to kill a goblin: Pitting it in my captured elf/human caravan.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2012, 03:17:08 am »

Race: born/raised in Russia, reside in U.S.
Profession: A.b.D. art historian
Social class: art historian...so...rich in cultural capital, but not so much actual capital
Preferred sock color: black, so you never have to match
Favorite way to kill a goblin: exposure to forgotten beast goo.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kazimir86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2012, 04:46:04 am »

Race: Caucasian
Profession: OTR Truck Driver
Social Class: Lower Middle
Preferred Sock Color: White OR Grey
Favorite way to kill a goblin: Mace to the FaceTM

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2012, 03:09:37 am »

Preferred sock color: black, so you never have to match

What about size, eh, smarty pants? :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lawrence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2012, 04:29:33 pm »

From: Prato, an ugly industrial sprawl near Florence, italy, famous for its textile industry, its chinese comunity -bigger than paris's- and thus its martial arts schools
race: white & gloriously indoeuropean (blonde, blue eyes, 1,90m tall etc)
profession: allmost dentist, finally!
class: fairly well off
socks: black
way to kill a goblin: liberal use of catapults from defensive walls at least 6z high. if defensive magma moat is allready in place this is coupled with aimed shots in the moat as to provoke death by facemelting on the goblin near enought to it.
Alternativelly, capture by cage trap and 20z's fall from the sacrifical tower of the Temple of Armork i allways build; right into SPIKES and the bone and refuse stockpile. If both tower and moat still unoperational, capture and death by sacrifical obsidian swords after being stripped of equipment. sooner or later i think i'll build an arena too, it just wasn't in the top priorities untill recently.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:19:30 am by Lawrence »
I'm not a native English speaker so my posts are bound to occasionally be "curiously worded". Thank you in advance for your patience!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2012, 08:58:33 pm »

race: White
profession: Accountant
social class: Middle class
perferred sock color: Black
favorite way to kill a goblin:  With a squad of well-trained soldiers.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2012, 03:12:42 pm »

race: white
profession: classified
preferred sock color: brown
favorite way to kill a goblin: with an elite dwarf wielding a sharp steely weapon.

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »

Race: Caucasian/European/ 3/4ths Irish
Profession: Construction worker/Dabbling welder
Social class:Middle
Perferred sock color:Grey
Favorite way to kill a goblin:Spike pit

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2012, 03:25:34 pm »

race: human
profession: monetarily poor writer of stories
social class: scum
perferred sock color: all the colours!
favorite way to kill a goblin: axedwarf squad

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2012, 10:47:49 pm »

There is a disturbing shortage of accountants in here, so I will assume the role of forum bookkeeper.  Just give me my own office with a rock throne and rock table and a glazed clay pot of dwarven wine and I'll keep track of Toady's assets to perfect precision.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:51:11 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2012, 12:03:45 am »

For the record, social class is determined in this fashion, based on employment;

Lower working class; unskilled manual labour
Working class; semi-skilled manual labour
Upper working class; skilled manual labour
Lower middle class; unskilled non-manual labour
Middle class; semi-skilled non-manual labour
Upper middle class; skilled non-manual labour
Upper class; aristocracy.

Class is determined by the head of the household, who is always the oldest working male in the household, unless there are no working males, in which case the oldest working female determines the class of the household. Wives, children and senescent relatives have their social class determined by the head of the household. Members of the household who leave and become independent retain their social class until they become employed for the first time, at which time their social class becomes based on their mode of employ; if they retain home, their social class snaps back.

Although it post-dates this system of identification of social stratification, the 'underclass' is a term used to identify those 'employed' in crime. It has also been used to refer to households in which no member has ever worked (those that subsist on government handouts) however this use of the term is incompatible with the system because the eldest male in the household determines the class for the whole household (until anyone in the household gets a job) and he inherits his class from his ancestors.

This is all from memory though from my Sociology GCSE, in which I got a C. I couldn't find which sociologist invented this system.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Unnoskol

• Bay Watcher
  • Stryk teh erth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2012, 06:55:25 am »

race: human via the Philippines
profession: freelance writer
social class: social graduate
perferred sock color: white
favorite way to kill a goblin: pushing them off the cavern cliff (it works great with forgotten beasts, too!).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16