Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: can you hang creatures  (Read 2945 times)

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can you hang creatures
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:21:31 pm »

build a 3*3*2 pit, add a chain in the middle, add hatches on the sides, connect the hatches to a lever, wait until the creature is over a hatch, pull lever, Profit?
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: can you hang creatures
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:24:04 pm »

No.  Chains in DF do not actually physically restrain creatures at all.   Chains in DF are essentially mind control devices.  They stop the attached creature from walking away.  Chains do not prevent the attached creature from falling, being pushed away by moving water, being flung by a bridgeapault, knocked around from cave-in dust, or otherwise involuntarily moved.  What will happen in your case is that the creature will simply fall, becoming detached from the chain in the process.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:28:29 pm »

It would be fun to have more forms of formal execution, though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:00:38 pm »

Would be fun to have dangling prisoners in front of your entrance though. Would probably even absorb arrows from siegers.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:53:30 pm »

...and now I'm thinking of dangling war elephants in front of an entrance, attacking any siegers that try to get in...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:05:00 pm »

...and now I'm thinking of dangling war elephants in front of an entrance, attacking any siegers that try to get in...

Tentacle teeth dangling from chains.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 03:30:43 pm »

Since by building a wall you create a free floor you can do the following little trick wiht chains

Construct a wall.  Build a chain atop that wall and attach a flying defender to it (e.g. bugbat modded to be tameable and trainable).

Now deconstruct the wall-you should have a chain with a chained defender hovering a few feet above the ground.  Really fun lining your entrance with there--goblins can't access them fully, but the bugbats swoop and bite (and usually get killed)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 03:49:58 pm »

You can also use this to make hanging cages in arenas.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 03:52:16 pm »

Oh that brings so many new ideas. Surprise drop boxing badgers go!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 04:00:36 pm »

Oh that brings so many new ideas. Surprise drop boxing badgers go!

Waves of crundles crashing from the darkness above, unleashed in their horrible glory!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 06:02:04 pm »

No.  Chains in DF do not actually physically restrain creatures at all.   Chains in DF are essentially mind control devices.  They stop the attached creature from walking away.  Chains do not prevent the attached creature from falling, being pushed away by moving water, being flung by a bridgeapault, knocked around from cave-in dust, or otherwise involuntarily moved.  What will happen in your case is that the creature will simply fall, becoming detached from the chain in the process.
Chains are the most glorious of all dwarven creations, all the dwarves do is show the animal the chain and it can't bear to step away from it's beauty.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 06:04:07 pm »

Mind control mechanism in the chain collar of course :O

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 06:05:28 pm »

No, they are simply amazed by the craftsdwarfship of the chain and the images of artifacts possessing images of themselves engraved upon it and in the surrounding walls.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 06:06:38 pm »

No, they are simply amazed by the craftsdwarfship of the chain and the images of artifacts possessing images of themselves engraved upon it and in the surrounding walls.
But which is more Dorfy? Would also explain how War Dogs are psionically attached to their owners.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 07:01:26 pm »

So the chain is basically a dwarven naughty step?
Pages: [1] 2