Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Suddenly, the Libertarian part is redeemed by a decent candidate!  (Read 4387 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/28/gary-johnson-announces-libertarian-presidential-bid/

Gary Johnson, one of the few non-insane Republican candidates, has dropped from the Republican nomination and is now running to be the Libertarian candidate.

Meaning a major party is composed of loonies, while the big L tarians have someone who is actually respectable.

The world has turned on its axis, and we should all celebrate. I know who I'll be voting for in the nominations...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Suddenly, the Libertarian part is redeemed by a decent candidate!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:06:54 pm »

While I don't think his candidacy will amount to much, I'm kinda taken aback by all the haters on there dissing Johnson and Libertarians in general. The GOP really has become the refuge for the hardcore nutballs.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 02:12:28 pm »

Yeah, the comments section there really just made me shake my head. Is this what it's come down to?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:16:01 pm »

It's always been down here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:28:56 pm »

This is more then enough proof for the Theory that an Uneducated society cannot support a Democarcy.

Don't worry, if it keeps going like this people won't mind when the United States of America becomes the Grand Democratic Society of the Peoples America.
(An Internet cookie goes to the first person to see what I did thar.)
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 04:08:59 pm »

This is more then enough proof for the Theory that an Uneducated society cannot support a Democarcy.

Don't worry, if it keeps going like this people won't mind when the United States of America becomes the Grand Democratic Society of the Peoples America.
(An Internet cookie goes to the first person to see what I did thar.)

Everyone on Earth knows what you did there, and it was dumb.

Anyway, looks like I have somebody to vote for.  Not too keen on the whole marijuana thing, but I'm against it more because every stoner I've ever met was irritating as hell, not because I think it's a serious problem.  Maybe it'll help the prison issues.

I voted Libertarian last time too, but then Bob Barr posted a thing on Facebook about Wiccan soldiers petitioning for a place of worship (Like, a grove?  Standing stones?  That'd be pretty bitchin') at their fort.  He made it obvious he was just a regular Republican and alienated pretty much everybody who read the note.

As for splitting the vote, it's not like the Republicans have a chance at beating Obama either way.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:11:05 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 06:08:34 pm »

That article is pretty horribly biased (and the website doesn't seem to obviously bill itself as a Libertarian one, which is somewhat dishonest).  But yeah, this guy looks like a Libertarian.  So I guess if you're already into that kind of thing he's great, but I don't see what amazing new ideas he's bringing to the table that should convert non-Libertarians to the cause.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:10:26 pm »

Yes, all Republicans are insane. Thank you for that clearly researched and knowledgeable, unbiased opinion. I guess I'll head to the nearest asylum.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »

Nah, all republicans aren't, it just seems like a lot of the folks you've got running for high offices are, or at least seem to be trying really hard to look like it. That's one of the problems of aligning yourself with people that are bugfuck crazy. Hits democrats pretty hard, too.

I'd like a not-batshit-insane party, but it wouldn't get enough votes to matter ::)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 12:17:40 am »

Yes, all Republicans are insane. Thank you for that clearly researched and knowledgeable, unbiased opinion. I guess I'll head to the nearest asylum.

Extensive research would prove it to be true. Why isn't there a major Republican candidate who isn't megalomaniacal, extremist, or inept?

Why are you so upset, anyway? Are you actually a member of the Republican Party? If so, can you explain to us why you can't run anybody who isn't megalomaniacal, extremist, or inept? If not, I should tell you that the person you voted for in the last election doesn't actually affect your status as a person. This isn't Africa. Your political affiliations aren't stamped on your ID. An attack against the Republican Party is not an attack against everybody who last voted for them.

Frankly, if I was a right-leaning individual in the United States, I would be looking for a new representative, too.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 12:34:15 am »

Extensive research would prove it to be true. Why isn't there a major Republican candidate who isn't megalomaniacal, extremist, or inept?

If you're running for the President of the United States, then you honestly believe that you are competent enough to actually run the United States. You are essentially claiming that you have the skills to run (or at least manage) a major world power, and that you won't at all mess up or do something insane.

Anyone that thinks that is, by definition, megalomaniacal.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 12:38:39 am »

Either you're conflating confidence with megalomania, or we need to get Herman Cain back on the phone.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 12:52:18 am »

Since the Libertarian Party holds unrestrained Capitalism above all else, I can't see how anything could redeem it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 03:25:16 am »

Since the Libertarian Party holds unrestrained Capitalism above all else, I can't see how anything could redeem it.
That's not true. The Libertarian Party holds unrestrained Capitalism and unrestrained personal freedom equally above all else. That's kind of what Libertarianism is.

Anyway, I don't think this will make any major difference in the overall elections.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 03:26:22 am »

Those are conflicting on every level but the most basic one.
Pages: [1] 2 3