Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1789675 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2i - FIXED EXE - Embassy, Orcs and AdvFort.
« Reply #10950 on: April 24, 2013, 09:23:09 pm »

in building tokens,

[FIRE_BUILD_SAFE]
Item material must be stable at temperatures below 11000. Only works with items of type BAR, BLOCKS, BOULDER, WOOD, and ANVIL - all others are considered unsafe.

So it doesn't work with grates and querns etc.  I made the same mistake in one of my Orcfort patches trying to fix this problem.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10951 on: April 24, 2013, 09:25:20 pm »

ups ^^

Advice: Open data/save/region#/raw/objetcs/building_masterwork and building_furnace_masterwork.txt, and find your FIRE_BUILD_SAFE tags and delete them, but only for those building you cant build. ^^

EDIT: Who needs sleep anyway. Here the changed list. I marked the new/changed entries in red. As you can see the animal section, craft section and engineer section is all thematically fitting, but the "farming/related" section should better be renamed to "Misc" ^^ It includes a lot, from farming, over smithing, alchemy and diplomacy.

Half of the therapist works with it as well. Role and skill names are fine, labor names dont. I wrote splinterz for help, lets see what he can think of.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:14:44 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: April 24, 2013, 11:19:37 pm »

I swear, this mod changes so frequently that I typically end up spending what time I set aside for DF trying to read up on this thread, figure out what has changed, etc.  Typically, before I'm caught up, another rev is out!! 

For what it's worth, my requests would be definitely merging together skills that are useless with related skills that are useful.  Potash makers, wood burners, etc.  those guys can go.

I would really, really love to see some stuff like D&D back in the 80's.... Clerics (for healing), Thieves, Assassins and Fighters.  Runes that add elemental effects.  Armor and weapons that I can understand how one relates to another (there are so many shields and helmets now, I have no idea which is better than another).

I find with all the new ranged stuff I can never actually get ranged attacks working.  There are so many different types of ammo floating around that I can't seem to get any of my marksdwarves to actually shoot.  I have no idea why (wrong ammo?  mismatched armor?  they all have quivers and ranged weapons and there is plenty of ammo around...).

I honestly think there are too many castes.  I find that "Dwarves of the Crafters Guild" for example usually end up just hauling because I end up with so many of them.  I have never cared about a "Bone Savant".  I understand what you were doing in having savants for every skill and having all sorts of other castes, but there are a bunch that just seem sort of superfluous.

I liked the guilds idea as a way to transform your dwarves from vanilla dwarves into special castes that learn that skill faster.  I like the idea of building a weapons guild to transform a few dwarves into  journeyman weaponsmiths, who then get a big boost to learning weaponsmithing, for example.

I really like the idea of the magic, but I can't make sense of it.  I end up making a few lifemancers, who wander around randomly hasting and healing people in the dining hall, I guess.  I stay away from the other two because (in the version I have) the hall of the mountain king deconstructs every time I try to do anything there and I generally don't mess around with blood and bones for the church of the dark depths.  I would love to see something like a variety of small temples or altars that have different focus areas... a temple to wealth, a temple to health, a temple to combat... whatever the spheres are and make them small enough that I can build my own statutes and stuff around them and fit them into my normal style of architecture.  I think it would be cool if I could build a massive temple complex with all sorts of altars around and priests of different spheres wandering around my fortress (not just Armok).

I really enjoy this mod.  I think you're doing a great job with it.  That's my one-man's-opinion-feedback on what I like and don't like.  :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10953 on: April 24, 2013, 11:21:04 pm »

Elemental effects are awfully fudgy.

Merging skills is difficult, to say the very least.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10954 on: April 25, 2013, 12:00:38 am »

Thormgrim: I just merged a handful of skills. Potash maker, lye maker, soap maker, these dont exist anymore. Its Chemist and Alchemist now. Same for Wood Burner, Glazer and Potter, all three are now the Oven Operator, who controls the wood oven, clay oven and brick oven. I also merged Thresher, Miller and Presser into one Miller/Presser job, freeing another two skills. All this left me with many skills for my new modded skills, like Runesmith or Sorcerer.

Clerics, Thieves, Assassins and Fighers are adv. mode stuff, I cant do those in Fortress Mode. I did add the Clerics, as you know, and there are plenty of fighters to go around.

There are too many armors? Really? Its 4 of a kind. Glove, Padded Glove, Gauntlet, Plategauntlet.... Shoes, Padded Shoes, Boots, Plateboots.... I thought that was really straightforward. Of course thats not what other races wear, but thats how your production looks.

Castes and guilds will get an upgrade for the next version. I figured out how the plugin works that I need to ue for this. I just havent decided yet if I make one big "Guildhall", or if I add a dozen guildhalls, for each guild one. Thats somewhat of a big decision.

Temples I made three, Altar, Shrine and Temple of Armok. I cant really tie them to other deities, because its random who worships who. And I wouldnt know what this plethora of religious buildings should do.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kire93

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: April 25, 2013, 12:25:04 am »

IMO one large guildhall would be good. In my mind that is almost like an office building for the guilds.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10956 on: April 25, 2013, 12:32:03 am »

Yeah, well... thing is, I made those. I WANT TO USE THEM. Even if I know its a stupid idea, and I will probably do only one building...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10957 on: April 25, 2013, 12:35:58 am »

I find with all the new ranged stuff I can never actually get ranged attacks working.  There are so many different types of ammo floating around that I can't seem to get any of my marksdwarves to actually shoot.  I have no idea why (wrong ammo?  mismatched armor?  they all have quivers and ranged weapons and there is plenty of ammo around...).

I wish i understood better why people have this problem so i could help or write a wiki on it, but in dozens and dozens of forts I never have trouble.  In the orc tutorial fort ongoing I currently have bow (arrow), dragon society (arrow), 2x sorcerers (bladeshard), gunners (bullet), cannoneers (cannonballs), civilian militia (tomahawk), mechanized crossbow (bolts) and never have a problem.  even doing changes like upgrading the equipment of the gunners from blowgun to musket is no problem.

I only really use two rules

0/ have enough quivers & ammo, if you say "plenty" make sure you account for what hunters have claimed too
1/ never mix and match arrows and bolts within a squad; every member of any given squad uses the same class of ammo
2/ never set any stack of ammo to "training only", but either "combat" or "combat & training" is OK

@Meph, did you just do an all-night modding spree? 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10958 on: April 25, 2013, 12:46:18 am »

Smake, of course I did. I am super awake now. Just been to the bakery and had breakfast. I tried to go to bed at 5 o clock, but couldnt sleep, so I though: Might as well stay up, enjoy the day. :)

Edit: Oh, I didnt even mention: I finished my driving and motorbike license two days ago.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:48:17 am by Meph »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: April 25, 2013, 01:12:38 am »

That's good, better than taking your bike test while all sleep deprived and worried about guildhalls ;)

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10960 on: April 25, 2013, 01:16:21 am »

I would hate to have Wolfram changed to "Tungsten" because I literally read it as "Heavystone" due to being in Denmark and all that.
Which is kind of annoying because the alternative is a much better sounding name.

I mean while "Gold" and "Silver" are both rather undeniably much more badass sounding as "Aurum" and "Argentum", I can understand keeping them as English versions.
But for something as uncommon as Wolfram (because I hate referring to "Tungsten") that has a much worse "English" name it doesn't really seem worthwhile to degrade it.

Not to mention that all it ought to take to reveal its alter ego is a lookup on the wiki or on a search engine. :x
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:19:55 am by Bloax »

oh_no

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: April 25, 2013, 01:17:50 am »

I'm sure splinterz will think of it, but he could just add an external file that allows customizing the names of the skills that Dwarf Therapist uses.  All it is is a string value.

"Clothesmaking" = "Tailor"
etc.

Other modders who get around to working with skills would also find this useful.

And on another note, I really hate the harder smelting. I either turn it off or modify the reaction RAWs to get rid of them if I forgot to before world gen.  1% chance of having an accident is just too high, imo, and I realize that you can't make that any smaller.  If you could make the accident more likely to just injure the dwarf rather than cause him to completely burn up, I could live with that. Given enough opportunities, eventually someone will have an accident.

@smakemupagus
I agree with your rules.  I was having an issue with my crossbow team not picking up new bolts even though there was plenty of them in my stockpile that was in the barracks. I then added the other types of bolts for ammo, ea. broadhead, etc., and then they went and filled their quivers.  It's like they went on strike until I allowed them to use any bolt in my entire inventory that they've had their eyes on, rather than just the generic bolts.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

fire1666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10962 on: April 25, 2013, 01:42:46 am »

Heads up on the wshades mod, i have finished the TEIR I weapons and working on TEIR II weapons now.
also shades already exist in the files of masterworks 2.H and they have there own language :D.
Workshops are only goign to be worked on when i am comfortable with the weapons and eventualy the products e.g. Ghostly blocks and Spectral furnature and workshops, and i might have somone helping me with the pixel art :D

I WILL NEED SOMEONE TO TAKE OVER WITH MAKING OTHER CASTES, THEY ARE BEYOND MY ABILITY TO CREATE AND BEYOND MY ABILITY TO MAKE REACTIONS THAT CHANGE CASTE.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10963 on: April 25, 2013, 02:13:58 am »

Smake: Yeah, Yeah, whatever :P I dont like driving anyway. Motorbikes are awesome, but I really couldnt care less for cars.

Bloax: I think it will stay Wolfram... the poll is about even, and its better to keep the same name that people already know.

BillyJack: I already did that, and all the skills are correct. The labors are missing, and I cant do those with an external file. at least nor till splinterz adds an additional external file that allows this.  And whats so bad about 1 possible fire every ~400 bars? Your furnace operator wont care if he is not wearing flameable clothing. So give him a metal uniform instead, or netherbark leather cloak. ;)

fire1666: I have to say, the entity file and the items are the smallest part. Reactions and interactions are what makes the race a real, unique race. Just look at Orc Fortress, 587 reactions... you have a lot of work ahead of you before you have a playable race.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10964 on: April 25, 2013, 02:24:12 am »

Heads up on the wshades mod, i have finished the TEIR I weapons and working on TEIR II weapons now.
also shades already exist in the files of masterworks 2.H and they have there own language :D.
Workshops are only goign to be worked on when i am comfortable with the weapons and eventualy the products e.g. Ghostly blocks and Spectral furnature and workshops, and i might have somone helping me with the pixel art :D

I WILL NEED SOMEONE TO TAKE OVER WITH MAKING OTHER CASTES, THEY ARE BEYOND MY ABILITY TO CREATE AND BEYOND MY ABILITY TO MAKE REACTIONS THAT CHANGE CASTE.
Hey fire, if you need some help with the workshops and interactions, I might be able to take some of the load off your shoulders if you throw me your notes!
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 749