Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1788290 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Masterwork☼ Dwarf Fortress - V0.1 - DF V.31.25 incl. grapics/sound
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 01:25:01 pm »

Thanks alot for the criticism. :)

What I try to do is essentially to morph DF from a simulation (with realistic everything) to a strategy game. Every feature should be useful, and balanced. That's my reason for lesser egg for example. Realisticly they should lay more eggs. That makes food production too easy (mostly because the system is faulty, One Egg = One full meal) therefore I change it.

I also like to add things that do neither increase FPS usage, OR more work for the player. Example: Adding 50 kinds of trees does not add new features, but instead makes you scroll through a longer list every time.
Adding 500 descriptor patterns for engravings does also not add any new features, BUT it does not harm FPS or the player, therefore I do add it.

Another thing is accessability. I would like to keep it intuitive. A building called Crematory is self explanatory. A caste system (if i do one) would only include Social/Military/Worker class, since all skills are categorized like that as well. No fancy names, no complicated things that do require a Manual/Readme.

First testing is completed as well. Full bug report and what I have done about it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not much, because I did not add much as of yet ;)

OUTSTANDING BUGS:
weird entrys in Stone Restrictions. 3x skin, 3x empty, all mine explosions - Comes from inorganic_material raw. No idea how to fix it yet. The 3 skins is from the standart leather, animal/rare/exotic.

DWARVEN products orderable from HUMAN caravan. But not from elves ?
How can I make a Pet only aviable to one Civ, and not the other ? I want Common_domestic pets for embark and dwarves, but the humans have access to it as well. Changing biomes would help ?

Still only 1 bar for each weapon / armor item.
SHOULD BE WORKING, NO IDEA WHY IT DOES NOT.
I did change the material_size in the item raws, with 150 for 1 bar, 300 for two, and so on...

CHANGES:
Goblins/Kobolds are active sooner. Change Progress trigger in Entity file.

Material value on armor and weapons lowered.  Less money from goblinite, since they arrive with more pieces of armor now. Also makes trading harder. No more copper large serrated discs worth 3000-4000 each.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 01:27:33 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2011, 01:40:09 pm »

Tried to access the sound download page. 'Invalid page' it says.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2011, 02:05:29 pm »

With those pets that everyone can bring (mines, golems etc..) adding a BIOME would limit who can get them BUUUUT that means those critters will be roaming around. I don't think a wild golem or land mine will be too much fun... or would it? If you want it to be dwarf-ish only (goblins will be included but you don't trade wtih them) is add [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] and [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:X] any civ that has [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] will have access to them, but the animals will roam the caverns there might be a workaround by changing some kind of tag on them to not make them show up?

Weapons even in 40d always took one bar, so don't beat yourself up on that one.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2011, 02:18:33 pm »

@pan: Fixed :)

@hugo: I didnt think of that, that they would appear in the wild. No problem with the 6 warbeasts that the elves should bring (I just have to make elven civ biome and creatures biome similar, right ?) but landmines would be a bit odd... and free roaming steel golems would be... unpleasent. But by making them underground and allowing dwarves to use cave_animals I can at least limit the trading to dwarves.

I also added narhirils moodable weapons, a pack of 52 special weapons you can only create by pure luck in moods. I did remove a few and renamed most, so it is clear what the hell you have there. Example: an arbalest (a better crossbow in real life) is now simply named :advanced crossbow. I did leave a few real names in, Katana, Claymore, the more obvious ones.

The PDF with descriptions of the pre-genned worlds is also done, mostly so that i could do something while the game run and i waited fo invaders to show up and test. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 02:32:44 pm »

With the roaming animals you could try making their total population 1, and thier frecuency 1 as well. That way it seems it would be a rouge landmine or run away golem. Just thoughts, I'm pretty sure with [COMMON_DOMESTIC] even if they don't exsist in the world (won't show in the wild) they will still be tradable. I tried doing a golem mod like yours a long time ago for 40d, but I didin't know as much as I do now.

I say go for it, do some !!SCIENCE!! I'll be watching lol

EDIT:
what would happen if you gave a [COMMON_DOMESTIC] pet the [DOES_NOT_EXIST]... I will do a quick test *Hugo runs off to his Workshop*

EDIT2:
RESULTS ARE IN!
I placed the [DOES_NOT_EXIST] tag on dogs, genned a world and I can still take them with me on an embark. I wonder if this will work with a [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] and [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:X] *Hugo runs back to the Workshop*

EDIT3:
Partial Results
Made Cave Crocs [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] with the [DOES_NOT_EXSIST] tags. my Humans can't bring them (can't use cave animals) but dwarves can (can use cave animals)
Going to see if traders will bring them/order them, and if they show up in the caverns. *Hugo works away furiously*

Runesmith still shows that there are Cave Crocs. Seems like this theory is null and void (unless I did it wrong, because my Exp. leader shows up in the military sceen and crashes DF when you goto create a squad :-/)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:51:41 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2011, 04:30:58 pm »

Thanks for the help :)

Tell me, if you find something out about the creatures in tradestocks and caverns...

I finally got around implimenting some major changes:

Here is a list of the reduced features:
Trees: Decreased the number of different types by 50%
Gems: Decreased the number of different types by 70%
Sand: Only one type of sand
Clay: Only one type of clay
Metals: Removed most non-weapon type metals and allyos. Rougly 50% less.
Leather: Only 3 types of leather. Animal, Rare, Exotic, plus individual Titan/Megabeastleather.
Clothing: Removed most types, 1-2 types for each bodypart remain.
Worn clothing: Dwarves/Humans/Elves/Goblins/Kobolds arrive without clothes. (that excludes armor)

To do:
Bones: Only 3 types of bones, similar to the leather overhaul. That means 3 types of bonearmor, crossbows, bolts and anything else you can make of bone. Reduces the lists and the scrolling the player has to do, but does not change any attributes of the gear.
Fat/Tallow: Only 3 types of fat, similar to the leather overhaul.

I want to note that all removed features do not decrease gameplay. You will still be able to work with wood, leather, bone, metal, clay and sand the same way as before. All stone colors, weapongrade metals, attributes and so on are kept in the game. The main reasons for these changes are this:

1. Less scrolling = more playtime. You dont have to go through 120 materials to find the stone you want to build your wall with.

2. More FPS = faster game = more playtime. With less items the game has to keep track of it will run faster.

All the noted changes have been tested and work. How they affect gamebalancing, in terms of: how much iron and flux one has, hast to be seen in longer games.

Special thanks to rephikul, whose raws I mutilated for some of the features (although the slade adamantine replacement confused me a bit at first ;) ), and veok for his leather mod.

ALL CHANGES:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:38:12 pm by Meph »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2011, 05:18:45 pm »

It seems that the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] or [BIOME] tags negate the [DOES_NOT_EXSIST] tag.
So I could still find the cave croc in the caves and they are trade-able, so much for that idea.

The only way is to make them super rare (frecency 1) and only 1 a year. if you want to use the [BIOME] tag.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2011, 06:45:21 pm »

Here are my random thoughts on Invaders. Feel free to comment. I have done no actual modding yet, everything just in my head.

Invaders:
should be self explanatory: Orcs, Undead, ok... Meowine and Arcanamaniaxs, NO
should not be overwhelming in invasion number, thta would break the game.
It would take longer to move clutter and corpses away than actually play the game.
Should have a fantasy setting, no Battlemechs

Behavior possible:
Ambusher (invisible siege, essentially a gaint ambush)
Sieger (campfire and waiting 1-2months, then attack maybe?)
Normal (Goblinlike suicide)
Skulking (sends thiefs, if successful sends sieges)

Mounts are possible, but no flying or swimming creatures.

Currently in the game:
Goblins that siege with meele/ranged, mounts, building destroyer and a general demon boss.
Kobolds that might siege after 3 successful thefts.

Ideas:

FIRST RACE
NORMAL ATTACK = THE UNDEAD

SECOND RACE
AMBUSHER = GOBLINS
THIRD RACE
SIEGER = ORCS

FOURTH RACE
SKULKING = KOBOLDS

FIFTH RACE
NORMAL ATTACK = ÜBER SUPER CIV END BOSS

Thoughts:
5 seems a lot, but Kobold attacks can be prevented and ÜBER-race is for a endgame challenge only. Leaves 3 invading forces. One leaves NO items at all, so no problem. Goblins come like usual, just smaller groups and invisible, Orcs will max siege once a year.  Any ideas on balancing ? Undead might also become a bit obsolete when the next version is realesed... still like the idea.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 07:14:52 pm »

Undead sound good, don't know if werewolves should be in the mix.
So undead should be (if you are making them a casted race)
%70 zombies, or %55
%25 skeletons, or %40
%5 Vampires

Roles:
Zombies - Slow building destroyer 1 powerhouses that can get weapons and arrows stuck in. Has a special bite that causes bleeding and pain in the local biten area.
Skeletons - Can equip weapons (bronze - steel) maybe even shields, faster fragile but have innate combat skills
Vampires - has great innate combat skills (level 7-8) can learn, slightly faster, stronger then normal. heart, brain and bisection/decaption are the kill zones. natural armor (built in platemail and whatnot)

Undead should be after goblins so about the time you get a Duke, I would suggest ambushers but zombies are not that smart (skeletons and vampires yes) so they will be siege only. Since undead cannot bleed to death, feel pain, so on and so forth they are more of a challenge (remember a zombie/skeleton can live without their lowerbody.) So they would be a near end game baddie.

Since goblins/orcs are evil they should have the werewolves as their speedy ambusher (sounds good for goblins) since werewolves can't equip they are more of a deadly animal that can out run any dwarf trying to run away. Goblins should also have half breeds (half troll, half orc) in which are rarer and stronger versions of the goblins (making ambushes and sieges randomlly more dangerous then next one)

Orcs should use Trolls in place of the speedy werewolf, The Trolls would have armor (naturally built in, orcs are gonna armor their war beasts) and have different breeds of orc (common, ascended, pureblood or "warlord") making sieges more or less unique everytime

Now these Ideas (except for the goblins having the werewolf) are right out of my own modding notes (now I didn't use the vampire for my undead)

Also I take it this the plans for the side add-on mod?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2011, 05:25:49 am »

Some notes on the music - its uplifting. That's wonderful. But DF is a rather dark game sometimes, and I don't think it will hurt to include in a track that is a little less happy. Something that would be great to have on during a large goblin siege or something.

Just a thought.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2011, 01:49:43 pm »

Some notes on the music - its uplifting. That's wonderful. But DF is a rather dark game sometimes, and I don't think it will hurt to include in a track that is a little less happy. Something that would be great to have on during a large goblin siege or something.

Just a thought.
Disable music and use Soundsense? I hear it looks at the announcements and plays the proper music. So when Spring arrives it picks music that kinda goes with spring theme (of course if you save a reload it picks a seasonal song at random)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2011, 04:08:41 pm »

Yeah, I have soundsense. But that soundpack is 200mb, I will not include that into my mod ^^ But maybe the program, already properly installed and a little selesction of sounds, like all the anouncments. thats about 2mb... and if i replace the music i have know with soundsense music, then it would be more fitting for the theme in the game... I will have a look at that.

Also did some more testing, bugfixes... I might upload a copy soon at DFFD. :)

New Changes:

Good thing about the new races is, that they are easy to remove and add. Can be optional, for people you dont like it. The mod is so far also compatible for the Fortress Defense II mod, so everyone could install that is well. That is not my work, but Fortress Defense itself is very friendly when it comes to combatibility.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:20:26 pm by Meph »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2011, 04:23:00 pm »

I like some of those changes :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2011, 05:08:16 pm »

Well, the weapon changes you make are purely cosmetic. I might get to stuff like that later, but right know there is still so much to do...

Zombies should have a bite that has a very low chance of necrosis (as is hand rots away) and a high chance of giving nausea (smell of rotting flesh makes people vomit) BUT it does not work, and I dont know why. I tried vascular, injects, direct copies from GCS with the poison bite... Arena testing has not shown any active syndromes. :(

Dagger plus Crossbow = Bayonet crossbow has been done somewhere... but that would mean you can make them yourself. Well, in this game, you cant. You can only buy them from human traders, or take them of orc invaders... since they are better in every way then normal crossbows... no one would build normal crossbows anymore... this way people have to work to get some of these :)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2011, 05:37:03 pm »

It would be nice for adv. mode :P and plus if you had to build the normal crossbow then buy/scavange a dagger to put on it then that means kobolds would be the new fad:P but the question would be "Do I use the crossbows material, or the daggers?" I'd go with dagger since it is now the bayonet which does the glorious staby staby.

But I see your point, bayonetted crossbows should be hard to get... Hmm... Maybe use the reverse engineering idea, disamble a bayonet crossbow to get plans to make your own? but the plans are only good for one use? maybe not even plans just the weapon, some clay. destorys weapon and makes a mold, which gets destroyed when you make the weapon (they smash the mold to get the weapon out) just ideas :P

Sometimes people like Cosmetics :P I know I do just as long as they don't clutter the game up too much (which I think I might have done  :o)

also PM the syndrome for your zombies and their bite attack. I'll see what magic I can come up with.

Edit:
I also nominated your mod in the great list of mods, Hopefully you don't mind?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:39:02 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 749