Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1790907 times)

Noin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7575 on: December 05, 2012, 12:59:51 am »

Got a couple of questions:

New nobles: there is no information about them anywhere. What preacher or philosopher does?

Spirit Ravens: I bought a couple of those and they do not show up in the "pet" list, and have rather a lot of skills.. And one of them is a competent fisherman %) Can I make them do anything?

Dart Thrower: in trap factory there is an option to make dart throwers + darts which can be coated in poison. In manual it says they are for making Indiana Johnes-style traps.. But I noticed what they can be assigned to dwarves as a weapon as well! Dwarves shooting paralizing bolts? Would be very effective against any unarmored enemy. Can that be done though, and which skill would that be?

And about bugs:
Dart throwers and darts are VERY expensive. Stack of coated darts = 20000
Daggers, even though they train knifedwarf skill, don't count as a military weapons.. I mean, I have one very strong warrior, armed with a large dagger, and every time I draft him he complains, coz he's counted as a recruit. And he is accomplished knifedwarf.
The same thing about throwing weapons.
Some animals breed, but others don't. For example, cave beetles don't, while all the other dwarven animals are ok.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7576 on: December 06, 2012, 05:14:18 am »

EDIT: Found another crash. Crafting vellum sometimes crashes the game. Not entirely sure what the conditions are for it, since it doesn't always crash. However, my game autosaved at just the right moment that it crashes roughly an in-game day after the save all the time, as long as the currently queued vellum job finishes.
DEAR LORD THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I just got the exact same vellum bug. By coincidence, the crash happened the same time a werebear transformed back in to a dwarf. All evidence pointed to him. But it was the bloody vellum.
MAY ARMOK BLESS YOU WITH THE MOST AWESOMLY CHAOTIC EVENTS EVER GENEARTED.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: December 06, 2012, 11:31:31 am »

@Noin:
The preacher seems to be a "consoler", as the dwarves that are sad will go to him.
Sadly, they seem to shoot at him during the process, and he gets sad because of it, while the other dwarf feels better for having expressed his frustration.
Not quite sure how it works, but keep an eye on his moral, else he might be the first to tantrum.

As for dart throwers, it was already there in vanilla, mostly used by cave tribes. Being quite weak compared to the crossbows, I never tried them, but feel free to do !!science!!.

For animals, all that have male and female breed, it just happens that turtles, birds and lizards do go through eggs rather than keeping the children in their belly for months, so give them nest boxes and don't collect the eggs, as simple as that^^
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Marc420

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: December 07, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »

Downloaded latest version (1.9.5), and played it for awhile.  I really like this so far!  Thanks!

Except ..... saved game and returned to main menu.  Then came back later and tried to continue playing.  Got an error msg about "Missing template: GEM_TEMPLATE".  Tried closing the game and restarting from the Masterwork DF settings app.  Didn't change any settings.  Its sitting on the tab with a link to the manual, and I just pressed the Play DF button again without changing anything.  Same error.

Installed by just extracting this to its own folder, separate from the original DF install that's in another folder.

A search of this topic shows this seems to have happened before, but didn't see any solutions.  Any ideas on how to get around this?

Just tried shutting down the Masterwork Settings (1.9.5) app and restarting ... same error.

I do have Simple Gems on.  Haven't touched that button in trying to relaunch the saved game.

I have two saves ... one from spring of the first year, and one from summer.  I think the first is an autosave as I usually have that on seasonal.  That one loads just fine.  Its only the one where I hit "save game" and returned to the main DF menu that won't load now.

Marc420

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: December 07, 2012, 09:47:00 pm »

Started digging a bit, and for some reason, all of the files in save\region1-sum-201\raw\objects have zero size.  I'd found the string GEM_TEMPLATE in the material defaults file in the save that opens, so I went there and without looking at the sizes tried to open the one in this save that doesn't work and it was empty.  Then I noticed that all files in that folder were size = 0 kb.

Marc420

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: December 07, 2012, 11:34:26 pm »

FYI ... I got it working.  Here's how in case anyone else encounters this.

The "spring" save that worked was made right after Embark.  In that it had my init wagon and no work done.  Handy feature that, the option to save then automatically.

I copied the "raw" folder from that save over to the later save that didn't work, and now the "Summer" save can load and at least at first seems to be working ok.

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: December 10, 2012, 11:25:54 pm »

couple questions for someone more experienced with the mod as a whole:

1. Breastplates vs Guardianplate/paladinplate/razorplate etc etc. do they provide upper arm protection? Im assuming they do but I cant get a dwarf to be hit in those areas and have a *deflection* of some kind, it just usually ends in loss of limb...

2. War animals: Drakes? Dragon raptors? regular raptors? how effective are saurpods clad in iron? i have been embarking with a breeding pair of drakes and get swamped by my 3rd year with dozens of war drakes but I can't determine if they're super effective in combat or not versus the other war animals.

2b. how would you utilize a large group of war animals? build a gate inside a corridor and allow the siege to get close, drop the gate and remove the pen the animals are in and let em go? or assign them individually to your dwarves?

3. T-rex skulls and metal of armok. all I can seem to do with these is just cut them into gems but I feel i'm wasting them! and honestly i want t-rex skull helmets for my 'terminator' squad >:)

4. on to weapons: slade warhammers? warhammers vs mauls vs meteor hammers? they don't seem to be near as effective as they used to be and all I get from a legendary (everything) dwarf is bruises and occasional breaks but nothing that kills effectively. I liked the morningstars for the most part but I don't want the same old fort over and over again so i'm trying new weapons/material combos and blunts just don't seem to do it for me...any way to fix this or is it just my imagination?

that's all for the moment...thanks!

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

Riun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: December 11, 2012, 05:11:29 am »

Sadly, I cannot answer every question, but here goes nothing.

2b: Make your Soldiers trainers and assign them to train specific animals. Dont pasture the war animals -> they follow around the trainer, without being assigned. Not being assigned means, the trainer does not generate a bad thought when it dies.

3: Archaeologist (or however it is spelled). Do not cut them - they get worked there and you receive stuff for them,

4: Someone else here did extensive testing with weapons, they will be able to give you a better reply.

Spray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: December 11, 2012, 04:52:23 pm »

Question:  If you turn on all Fortress Defense races in the settings, could this possibly lead to no siege anymore?

i have about 9 million wealth and the only thing i get are fukken goblins which are pretty boring.... Using the Swamps pre-generated world. Sinister Surrounding.

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: December 11, 2012, 05:51:56 pm »

Sadly, I cannot answer every question, but here goes nothing.

2b: Make your Soldiers trainers and assign them to train specific animals. Dont pasture the war animals -> they follow around the trainer, without being assigned. Not being assigned means, the trainer does not generate a bad thought when it dies.

3: Archaeologist (or however it is spelled). Do not cut them - they get worked there and you receive stuff for them,

4: Someone else here did extensive testing with weapons, they will be able to give you a better reply.

2b. So I'm assuming the skill of the trainer has no effect on the quality of training?

3. So what does the workshop give you for processing the fossils? Or am I just going to have to wait until I get home after work to find out?

4. Mmkay. I honestly question the effectiveness of slademantine weapons and armor...some opinions and science would be much appreciated

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: December 12, 2012, 06:37:44 pm »

for question 2:
War animal are good, even without any armor.

1 once had a couple dragon raptors as wildlife outside my fort, and they killed both an early siege and my early military, with nearly nothing having hurt them in the process.

I later used some I bought from caravans, and they basically did all the work for me for the next two sieges.

They are still vulnerable to arrows though, the "headshot" thing working on any living thing anyway, but they are nearly equivalent to lvl 5-7 soldiers with iron armor and weapons. (or so it appears in my tests)

Just be carefull never to give them as pets, because they will die eventually, and you don't need more bad though, right?

@Spray:
That is a strange thing, because they tend to even siege me every season  since I went above 3 millions, and that fortress collapsed at around 30 millions (putting gems in everything really helps, and mass producing the high grade glass for everything does too).

You might want to check if they are not just exterminated^^
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Nicolai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: December 14, 2012, 07:03:37 am »

I have a bit of a problem, with world gen.
Any history, more than medium, seems to crash it.
Increasing savagery, beasts, civs, also seem to quickly result in crash.

Is this common? Can I do something, to get more history?

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: December 14, 2012, 11:49:49 pm »

Is anyone else having random embark points. As in when I go to the embark screen I may have 1228☼ and when I exit (Without saving/embarking) and try to re-embark I have different amounts of available points to spend. Is there anyway to change this?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: December 15, 2012, 01:21:36 am »

It's probably changing based on whether your civ has certain metals available. That's a vanilla problem.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: December 15, 2012, 07:56:05 am »

No, I did notice this too, to a lesser amount, sometimes I get only 15 points for my jobs and sometimes I have 90, with the exact same animals and objects from the profile and nothing missing.

As for the "longer history", I am afraid I don't try this anymore with this mod, because even without the crashes, there are problems with many civs dying because of all those powerful ones added by fortress defense, so I usually set up for a 50 years of so.
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 749