Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1790831 times)

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7590 on: December 15, 2012, 02:56:00 pm »

It's probably changing based on whether your civ has certain metals available. That's a vanilla problem.
No, because in vanilla the embark points are a static "1127" (If I am correct on the number). It does have something to do with distance, or at the very least where I embark. If I go into the embark screen twice in the same area (Without starting a fort) it is the same amount. However if I change the date of history abandoning my fort the embark points change again. This makes embark profiles useless.

Also, I'm not talking about a 10-40 change, I am talking about 100 or more.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: December 15, 2012, 03:14:57 pm »

Embarks are 1274 by default in vanilla. Like I said, material availability will affect the amount available. For example, in vanilla, not having iron will mean that you'll have to make due with steel anvils; these are much more expensive. Also, the availability of certain plants will change the amount of seeds available.

I'm about 98% sure that this is what's causing it because mods can't change worldgen things like that.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: MASTERWORK DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7592 on: December 15, 2012, 03:22:31 pm »

I think we figured out that castes with skills affect this.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: MASTERWORK DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7593 on: December 15, 2012, 03:35:11 pm »

I think we figured out that castes with skills affect this.

Does that really affect it? I think that natural skills don't really come into play until gameplay starts...

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: December 15, 2012, 05:17:42 pm »

Embarks are 1274 by default in vanilla. Like I said, material availability will affect the amount available. For example, in vanilla, not having iron will mean that you'll have to make due with steel anvils; these are much more expensive. Also, the availability of certain plants will change the amount of seeds available.

I'm about 98% sure that this is what's causing it because mods can't change worldgen things like that.
What I am saying is that, when all items are removed, it isn't the static "1274" (Thanks for the correction) DF normally has.
*Edit: It seems that if I reclaim an area, the defult 1247 embark points. Nvm, it just showed up as 1800
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 05:43:55 pm by Willadie »

Martyr187

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:22 pm »

Hey, I am new to the forums and a huge fan of this mod. It is progressing greatly ^^
I think I may of found a bug, at least with my version (I have not edited any raw files etc that I can recall)
I am running the 1.9.5 build as I still wanted the FD races however I seem to be missing the 'fish farm', the 'philosophers garden' as well as the 'fountain'. Help would be appreciated.
Thank you all so much, it is great to see the mod develop like this ^^  :)

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: December 16, 2012, 09:40:10 am »

So, I got a Stonebound baby, I have read it's special.
Any help with it?
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

Fiver

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: December 17, 2012, 02:27:57 am »

Hey there Masterwork folks,
  Before I even begin to ask questions (yes, I'm going to bother) I would like to apologize for my poor skills regarding all this. I am a legendary cheese maker, but this rarely seems to help me. I realize that my questions have probably been asked an exhausting number of times, but even with some research, I have not found a solution. If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. Anyway, I am on a Mac 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) computer and I am having issues getting the GUI for settings to run through Python. I have done what reconstruction I have found guides for regarding getting Python, GUI's, and Mac's to play nice and share, but executing the file is still a problem. This very well could be a problem I am having with the tools I have downloaded outside of Masterwork DF, and I realize that this is not any of your responsibilities, but if there is a well of knowledge that happens to have been collected over matters of tkinter on Mac's and this file, I would love to hear more. If I am being too vague and greater specifications are needed to help, please let me know. To sum up this horribly longwinded document: sorry, tkinter doesn't seem to be installed and thus the gui will not launch, I have a Mac, and thank you.

firons2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: December 18, 2012, 02:58:08 pm »

Since i havent been here in a while where is Meph at the moment?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7599 on: December 18, 2012, 04:12:03 pm »

Northafrica. En route from Tunesia towards the Libyan border, next stop: Djerba. ;)

In other words:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still reading, planning a longer post in near future.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7600 on: December 18, 2012, 04:54:15 pm »

OK, here we go. I havent been here in a while. I was still reading the modding forum now and then, seeing slow work being done on LofR and a blur of fast releases done by Deon for the new Genesis. Not that much activity here, but then I checked the downloads, with 12500+ of the current mod version.

So there is interest and I probably owe you guys an apology.

What I tried to do was do a full restart, I did put ~70h of work into this MDF2, but it is hundrets of hours away from being finished. I also encountered three problems:

1. Too big a team. I started doing everything myself, and it was fun learning how to do stuff. Lately I have only been delegating to other people (thanks mainly to zenerbufen, and tons of others) so that they can do things I cant. (C++, Python,...)

2. Not being able to do everything myself. Sounds stupid, but I give an example: expwend was doing some C++ scripts for me. But unfinished/buggy. I cant alter those, since it is a compiled language, and I would have to contantly pester him doing updates. Not enjoyable for me, not enjoyable for him.

3. It is too much work. I dont know how many here realize this, but I put easily 1000h+ into Masterwork 1.9.5 as is. Plus the ~70h on MDF2, the accelerated DF, Forumsupport, Chats, reddit, whatever... Now I dont care how much it is, as long as it is fun to do. It is a hobby, I like implementing changes, testing stuff, talking to the community, tweaking and trying out new things... but if I just sit down and think: Wow, another 20h of writing the manual ahead of me, then it suddenly becomes a chore.

What happened is this: I did delete all working editions, sorted all DF stuff I had, started to work on MDF2 again... 3 times. And after 1h I just stopped, said to myself: wtf am I doing here, this part will take at least 20h, this other one easily 60h, then I need to find someone to write this and that in C++, and start doing ALL the metatags again for Python, which I cant write myself, so I have to hope that the 3-4 people working on the new GUI actually produce something that works in the end. And then... I scrapped everything and started anew the next time.

This will lead me nowhere.

But I dont want to abandon this. I do like DF, I like the modding, I like trying out stuff, improving parts, I  love the community, and I cant lie, the attention and praises are pretty sweet, too. ;)

So here is my plan:
Continue MasterworkDF 1.9.5 => 1.9.6
 - This would include bugfixes, balancing and new features.
 - Keep the (current) VB Gui, because I myself can write and alter it.
 - Add Orc Fortress by default as a race-selection in the Gui.
 - Slowly add parts from MDF2 that I really like, mostly balancing.

I can, if anyone is interested in it, release all the source material I have for MDF2. This would allow anyone with too much time to burn to keep working on it, use it as base material for their own mods, whatever they want. Open source. That would include:
 - The Python Gui. (the backend works perfectly, just the User Interface is mostly non-existant)
 - The html manual with tons and tons of stuff in it.
 - Custom written dfhack for ingame magic.
 - The mod itself.

I still need help with 2 things:
1. Linux/Mac compatible versions. Someone who takes the current win-version I do, and just repacks it into linux/mac. I cant do this myself, because I only have a windows environment.
2. Dwarven Traders bring magma in bags, settings stuff on fire. This is a serious bug, I havent been able to narrow it down. I do believe it has to do with the alchemy reactions though, so I'll probably just delete this entire section and redo it. Otherwise, if anyone did find the source, please do tell ;)

Bugs I am aware of:
Misspellings that cause lack of fishpond/fishfarm, boneblocks not being used for church of dark depths, vellums causing crashes when produced. All easily fixed.

RL-Update: Currently still in Northafrica, having problems obtaining a visa for Libya. Only possible option atm seems to be some shenanigans with a fake businessvisa for Tripoli costing ~400-500dollars, other then that I have no idea how to actually get into that country. Rest is fine, people are not trying to shoot me, just overly enthusiastic at trying to sell me useless junk. I will be home sometime between christmas and new years, so expect to see some modding done around that time. Oh, and in May2013 I am going to Asia for a year, so... yeah. RL is doing good. Still working on my new website though.

tl;dr:
I am still alive and travelling.
MDF2 will be scrapped.
MDF1.9.5 will continue as usual, starting around end of dec/start of jan.
Help wanted for linux/mac versions.

(After reading through some pages of the thread: A big thanks to all the regular users that helped answering peoples questions. Awesome :) Especially putnam, I dont even think you ever played the mod^^)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: December 18, 2012, 06:10:48 pm »

- The Python Gui. (the backend works perfectly, just the User Interface is mostly non-existant)
Yes the backend is basically done to the point where it can provide all the features of the old VB GUI.
The one thing it might need is a .init file parser so it can show what the current settings in the file are to the user.

I hope that I will have time to throw together a less basic GUI than I have right now over the holidays but I don't know if I will have time for that or not yet.

I don't have as much free time as I used to so I think that the more advanced features planned for the Python GUI will have to be put on hold for now.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ New poll - Meph is back.
« Reply #7602 on: December 18, 2012, 06:46:58 pm »

So happy to see that progress will once again be moving forwards. This is by far my favorite way to play DF and I look forward to seeing it continue to grow.

Thanks meph

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: December 18, 2012, 10:20:18 pm »

Just in response to the current poll, I've never experienced a burning caravan but after genning a few worlds, it has suddenly stopped letting me gen new worlds by crashing every single time, sometimes even completely freezing my computer the second I start genning. Can't really say why.

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: December 19, 2012, 03:01:09 am »

I have never personaly come across a burning Dwarvern Caravan (Except that one time i dropped lava on one).

However, with World-Gen, i find that if i generate a world for over 125 years, it often slows down so much that it just locks up.
The sollution is simply to not generate worlds over 125 years, which works fine. Never had a crash doing that, except when i only managed to copy across half of the DF core files, somehow.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 749