Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1776429 times)

Labraid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ New poll - Meph is back.
« Reply #7605 on: December 19, 2012, 11:37:42 am »

I remember dwarven caravan bursting into flames only once, though this could have something to do with nightmares flying around so 0%.
As for world gen I mainly use custom worlds, adv param presets modified with perfectworldDF with 75-150 years of history and haven't encountered crash yet, but I have pretty powerful PC.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:34:43 pm by Labraid »

Riun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: December 19, 2012, 12:39:26 pm »

I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes, I want to play. I really, really do.

So far with the Dexter quotes :) Glad to see you are back, can't wait for an update!

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: December 19, 2012, 05:17:30 pm »

Welcome back Meph, and welcome to Tunisia too!
Looking forward to the next version of the mod of course. (even if I don't post... I'm watching.)
With the confirmation that you will simply "upgrade" the 1.9.5 version, I'll be able to mod my human plugin, which I didn't work on as I didn't know what you planned.
Anyway, I wish you good luck for your trip and thanks for the good news.
Oh and I've never encountered any burning caravans, therefore, I can't help on that, sorry.

jonveck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: December 19, 2012, 10:56:49 pm »

Just out of curiosity:  is there an ETA on the next version/update?  I'm in the middle of a little hiatus from DF and while I'm jonesing to start playing again, I'd really rather hold back for a bit longer if it means I could return to a newer version.  Any chance you'd like to share with us some of the things you've been working on?  You know, whet our appetite... :-)

(FYI:  I've never had world creation crash, but I've absolutely had a few caravans show up and promptly burst into flames... and it appears that they were trying to transport magma -- but it was definitely no more than a few amongst dozens of successful, non-burning caravans, and always the dwarfs, never any other race.)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: December 19, 2012, 11:10:19 pm »

2. Dwarven Traders bring magma in bags, settings stuff on fire. This is a serious bug, I havent been able to narrow it down. I do believe it has to do with the alchemy reactions though, so I'll probably just delete this entire section and redo it. Otherwise, if anyone did find the source, please do tell ;)

I'm guessing you have a reaction that produces a powder (since liquids shouldn't be bagged) that has a broken inorganic material component.  Give me an hour or so and I'll try to hunt this down.

EDIT: I think this might be your problem:

Spoiler: raws (click to show/hide)

Everything looks fine except for that your (bolded) reagent line seems... unusual.  Shouldn't it be...

[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:MITHRIL]

...Or have I missed something completely?  If I had to guess, I'd say the GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT line is getting confused here and kicking out a generic material at a temperature you don't want it to be at.  Some of your other powder reactions seem to have the same unusual reagent pattern.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:32:19 pm by narhiril »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: December 19, 2012, 11:14:22 pm »

I've had caravans burst into flames.  Three times.  Once was when they entered the map, the other two times they were inside the flaming deathtrap protective walls of my fort. 
The only times I've had world gen crash is when running the game with either illithids on, or when running it for very long periods of time.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7611 on: December 20, 2012, 06:40:20 am »

Ok, seems that the worldgen is not that much of a problem. Flaming caravans should be a powder that shouldnt be there. I'll just delete the alchemy system.

Thanks narhiril for that spot... BOULDER:BOULDER, wow. I would have assumed that this causes an errorlog. Both Mithril and Cobald has it as reagent, both reactions do run fine though. Weird. Is noted and will be corrected.

ETA: I am in Tunesia. Not at home. I'll be back on the 26th on the evening and might pretty much be distracted till NewYearsEve. The very first version of this mod was available on the 3rd January 2012 (wow, that long ago?) so I'll try to do one for the anniversary ;)

Ideas: I do have many, way too many for one update. Small parts here and there, update, again, update, and so forth. I know what I will do, no worries.

I just got a completely random idea... I dont know how many people role-play nicely and try to build as close to reality as possible, instead of efficiency, but how about a new decorative building, 1x2tiles, the humble... toilet. Useless except to "clean/empty bucket" and "flush down food/item" and a fun-reaction "go to the loo" that creates a small stench cloud... I dont know, I just read through the suggestion lists and people always wonder why dwarves never need a bathroom, or a sewer system... it's so random, I make it just for fun anyway. (laughing so hard right now... "retrieve turd boulder" as ammo for catapults, "make turd block" to make the entry gate to the trade depot... human trader: "Thanks for letting us trade with... WTF?")

Ok. Seriously, alphabetizing reactions is a primary goal, fixing the 4-5 bugs atm, getting rid of slademantine and slade metal, categorizing the workshops (look at the alpha for an idea) Then, later, improving on the VB Gui, adding Orcs by default as an option, then adding whatever ideas I had for the MDF2, which is lying around.

I also think instead of the often wanted wiki I'll just upload an unfinished manual and let the people contribute to it. Once it is completely done, I proofread it and bundle it with the official download.

Sounds good?

(oh, creating water and magma in workshops, a workshop that creates power (shamelessly stolen from genesis, and checking out all the cool new stuff that dfhack can now do is also an idea for later)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: December 20, 2012, 09:10:20 am »

Hello

I downloaded MWDF a few days ago and was quite amazed by it. It's very awesome, thank you for it.

Now, I have a suggestion about a thing I modded in myself lately and thought everyone would like that:
Have a reaction (maybe in the furniture workshop?) that produces a whole magma-safe pump set, so we don't have to hassle with the whole glass and job manager stuff only because we want some magma. Or have a crate (or what they are called, I can't remember right now, you know, they hold 10 of things), that takes up 3 of each part for transportation reasons. You know, to ease the pain that is building a pump stack in DF.

Thanks again.

Nevets_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: December 20, 2012, 10:41:32 am »

I just got a completely random idea... I dont know how many people role-play nicely and try to build as close to reality as possible, instead of efficiency, but how about a new decorative building, 1x2tiles, the humble... toilet. Useless except to "clean/empty bucket" and "flush down food/item" and a fun-reaction "go to the loo" that creates a small stench cloud... I dont know, I just read through the suggestion lists and people always wonder why dwarves never need a bathroom, or a sewer system... it's so random, I make it just for fun anyway. (laughing so hard right now... "retrieve turd boulder" as ammo for catapults, "make turd block" to make the entry gate to the trade depot... human trader: "Thanks for letting us trade with... WTF?")

What about a 1x3 room, with both the northmost and southmost tiles needing to be built over channels.  The southmost tile is the water input: it works like a well and needs to be over water.  The northmost tile is the waste water output.  Every time a dwarf uses the workshop, it uses up 1 unit of water from the input (don't know if workshops can do this) and creates 1 unit of water and some kind of filth liquid in the output.  You could either create a large cavern for the waste water to evaporate from, you could build a pump to 'clean' it and recycle it back into the input tank.  To make it practically useful, the reaction could also create mist, so you can get your dwarves to shower without building an FPS reducing waterfall.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7614 on: December 20, 2012, 12:07:28 pm »

@chewie: Making a pump-set does sounds like a good idea :)

@nevets_: most of it is impossible. using specific tiles of water as intput/output, using up the water, and creating mist, all that cant be done.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nevets_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: December 20, 2012, 01:03:56 pm »

Oh, I figured they used the same reactions that the workshops do to create smoke/sparks .

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7616 on: December 20, 2012, 01:07:28 pm »

Boiling clouds are actually boulders that are too hot... mist from water is a falling liquid hitting an object. I can create liquid, but it would stay in the workshop. Definetly no mist though...

EDIT: Wow, the new dfhack looks super shiny. Therapist-like Ui ingame, overlayed GUIs ingame, manual siege engine control, power generation from workshops, power-controled pressure plates, covering weapons/ammo with poison, fixing loyalty cascade... that is amazing. And a linux and mac version... that is very fancy stuff.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:41:11 pm by Meph »

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: December 21, 2012, 12:24:48 am »

Curse you Meph!  Now I won't be able to play dwarf fortress until you produce this new Masterwork version!

Seriously, these features sound great.

I can't say I will be sad to see the alchemy system go...  I've never used alchemy in any of my games, simply because it is so complex that it isn't worth my time to set up.

With regards to toilets, I think the best way to implement them would be to give dwarfs a dysentery syndrome that started after they ate food, making a dwarf run for the nearest commode (can syndromes compel dwarfs to seek out and use workshops?), and if there were no commode, the dysentery would develop into something more serious and fortress disrupting, with the dwarfs vomiting up infectious gunk that made other dwarfs who came into contact with it get infected too.  The toilets would cure both mild dysentery and the more serious dysentery.  Thus, people would need to build enough toilets to keep their fortress healthy and also to take the rush of dwarfs that developed whenever outbreaks did happen.  The toilets would probably be easiest to model as composting toilets - no complicated messing around with trying to teach the game to have sewers that way - also, composting toilets would have the upside of producing fertilizer for the fields, to compensate the player for the trouble caused by the inevitable bouts of minor illness disrupting the fortress.  Strictly speaking, a composting toilet needs some sort of plant matter to mix in with the feces, wood shavings, for example.  Or plant stalks, surplus seeds, fiber crops, bark etc.  So the reaction would be: Syndrome affected dwarf + bulking matter = a bar of fertilizer.  Or, to keep it simple, it could be done as syndrome affected dwarf goes to workshop, creates bar of fertilizer.

I'm still researching the glaze/decorative brick changes I proposed a few months ago.  It turns out that glaze chemistry is frightfully complex stuff.

fasquardon

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: December 21, 2012, 12:49:31 am »

Oh Armok, nothing will ever get done.

I imagine the entire fortress doing nothing but this before too long: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhqbSf_fb1g
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:51:10 am by BigD145 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7619 on: December 21, 2012, 04:45:12 am »

Well.. ehm... I did say a decorative building, just for fun. Not micromanaging every dwarf to use one on a regular basis. ^^ Like I said, for roleplaying purposes.

Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 749