Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1776402 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ The loo:
« Reply #7620 on: December 21, 2012, 05:30:22 am »

A dwarf-cleaning workshop sounds like just the thing.  Call it a "bath".  The workshop requires 1x2 through 3 z-levels: top produces a stream of water which falls onto grate of middle which produces the mist (zestfully clean happy thought!) and is collected at the bottom tile for re-use. (The "holding tank")  Thing is, suppose dwarves use the type of loos they do in India: a hole in the ground with a handle on the wall for steadying yourself?  Suddenly, that holding tank extended one tile out becomes a catch-basin as well!  So Urist McDonecrapping hops into the bath for a quick clean (ahhhhh... MUCH better) and goes about his business.

I can hear the "Ewwwww! That's nasty!" response already, but this is where the genius of dwarven ingenuity becomes most evident: The pump is also a filter system producing potash bars for your glassworks and farms! the extruded bars are deposited in the space below the Indian loo, waiting for retrieval.  As with any workshop, this one can also become cluttered, which will not only keep dorfs from being able to relieve themselves, but also produce a miasma reaction.

Have the entire assembly function off a lever next to the grate, to activate the "flush".

Sounds doable to me.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:33:42 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ New poll - Meph is back.
« Reply #7621 on: December 21, 2012, 05:38:34 am »

Wait. I was just finished writing up a long list of things that are impossible on this, but it does sound like you dont want a custom workshop, but just build a dwarven machine from grates, levers, water and so forth... thats possible. But modding in a workshop that does all this, is... very, very impossible.

But this thing here is done:
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: December 21, 2012, 05:54:45 am »

Ah, we are starting development again? I'll be standing by if I am needed.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7623 on: December 21, 2012, 12:42:51 pm »

Yes Mr. Wrex, indeed we are.

You think some fixed bugs, removel of slademantine/slademetal, 32 new options in the GUI, addition of playable Orc race, and workshop categories are enough for a release ? Because that is done so far. :)

I want to do some more work on the buildings, porting the improved version from the alpha into 1.9.5, as a very least though.

Current todo list says: Doublecheck building hotkeys, redo chemistry/alchemy and add poisons for weapons and ammo. Because poison-coating works now :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ The loo:
« Reply #7624 on: December 21, 2012, 02:58:31 pm »

I slept on it and realized I was thinking of a dwarven washing device more than a simple toilet.  Too complicated, I agree.  However, a 1x2 workshop with the requirement that it be built over an empty space (like a well), that's much more possible.  Have the dwarf sit on a "throne" positioned above the empty space for a moment or two to produce a happy thought (some thing like "Urist McDonepooping had a good bowel movement lately"), then pull the lever to complete the process.  What is produced is one of two new materials, 50% chance of either: Either a new liquid called "urine" or a new slime called "dwarf pellets" or just "feces".  These are produced by the "throne" every time the lever is pulled, dropping through the hole below it to wherever.  I'd suggest the material have the same qualities as potash, except being liquid, so that any farmers wishing to use it for fertilizer has to gather it in a bucket, like lye or milk.  I'd also add the "can rot" quality to it.  Since the loo will always be above this substance, even loos that drop outside the fortifications will leave a heap of miasma generating material below.  Bat guano creates crystals of saltpeter when it rots, perhaps the end reaction of the dwarf pellets rotting is that it becomes a crystal of saltpeter as well, to be collected for your gunpowder mill?  Either that, or the pellets become a consumed reagent in the ashery (to make potash/pearlash) and the powder mill (in place of potassium nitrate).  Also, it would make more sense if the dwarves got an unhappy thought from the lack of toilets rather than the lack of chairs, wouldn't it?

(Perhaps toilets are a class of chair that must be designed by an architect over a hole, and that produces two happy thoughts ("admires a fine toilet" and "had a good bowel movement") and a dwarf pellet when used?) Required materials: 1 "throne", 1 "mechanisms", 1 "empty tile".

I can imagine a "holding pit" where trapped elves scream with fury at being rained with dwarf pellets from the holes above them. 
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: December 21, 2012, 03:19:24 pm »

First, can we all just forget about toilets?  Seriously lets...just stop.

Second, I noticed a number of bugs that I fixed in my copy of the last 'stable' version released (I say 'stable' because the library system was really borked and I fixed a lot of bugs with it so it would work).  So I figure the bug fixes in themselves are enough to do a release.  What I would like to do is get my hands on the next release and then report any bugs I find rather than report a bunch of bugs you've likely fixed.

General Suggestions
  • If you're putting in toilets, please add a larger variety of potted plants, possibly even potted trees.  And...shouldn't they use...pots, not buckets?
  • I *LOVE* bricks, would you consider using a shorter name than "ornamental" like "fine" so the name doesn't run off the edge of the screen...because I also don't like using smaller fonts
  • I had a crazy idea...how would you feel about adding in various cloth weaves like you have rough, smooth, and fair wood?  Pig tail or rope reed could be turned into Common Cloth (note "common" here means the type of weave)  Other types of weaves are Denim, Linen (it is a weave too) Tweed, and more (at work, running over lunch must stop typing!)  I'm sure we'd all LOVE our dwarves to be wearing sturdy denim armor!  You could have silk thread turn into Satin Cloth (as satin is a type of weave.

Okay i really should review this better but i have to clock back in, lol.

I <3 Masterwork

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7626 on: December 21, 2012, 04:03:32 pm »

@timeless bob: again, all this is impossible to mod. I also stated several times that they will be ornamental, purely decoration... the "Dwarven Loo" 1x2 tiles, needs a bucket to be build, no reactions.

@miamabryca: I know about the vellum bug and fixed it, but what else it wrong with the library system ? I couldnt find anything else.

Potted plants using pots... DONE. Potted Trees ? Why not, as long as I keep everything optional, people that dislike decorational/unnecessary things cant complain ;)

I just wrote a tree 1x1 and a patch of grass 1x1. I dont know if anyone really wants to create gardens, but now they can. The 1x1 patch of grass will be painful to use for bigger areas though.

Weaves and different types of weaving. That does indeed sound interesting, but to what use? I can already change value and armorrating by using different materials, like the silk, rare silks and so forth. We could have 5-6 different weaves,with different names, but if they are essentially the same, then I wont support this idea. It would only create more micromanagement and stockpiling and lower fps, but would have no gameplay value. And yes, I do know that we were just talking about decorational buildings, but these dont affect FPS or stockpiling.

Short brick names makes sense.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7627 on: December 21, 2012, 04:26:51 pm »

MDF2 will be scrapped.
MDF1.9.5 will continue as usual, starting around end of dec/start of jan.
Help wanted for linux/mac versions.

Good to hear from you meph, I'm glad to hear things are going well. Your plan sounds great!

Anytime you need a mac/linux release just send me a PM, I'm still around.

I haven't given up on the new GUI. There is a big update to the QT library (version 5 was released 2 days ago) that I was waiting to get finished because of issues with the current version on the mac... Once that filters down to PyQT, then over to the MAC I'll work on getting the gui working with that version and see if it resolves the issues I was running into. Also arclance is a better coder than me and I don't want to step on his toes. He is doing great work. I also have a 2nd computer set up now. Soon I'll have a stable windows,linux&mac environments to test/develop in. Windows 8 has been a nightmare on both my computers, I'm debating wiping out both my computers again and rolling back to 7 although I'm hesitant because its taken me a about a month to get both systems running properly and at the moment everything is working great. I don't want to undo all my hard work!

Due to family and personal I haven't had as much time as I would like to devote to this project, but I'm not gone, just on hiatus.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:30:26 pm by zenerbufen »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7628 on: December 21, 2012, 04:40:17 pm »

Hey Zen :)

I will send you a PM as soon as I do a win update. I just put 33 new options, including Orc Fortress, into my old GUI. So that is going well. Mac/Linux update for the next version would be awesome :)

And omg, I just realized that this thread has 60+ pages since the last update. I am surprised no one lynched me yet for that ^^

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: December 21, 2012, 05:07:31 pm »

*grabs a torch and pitchfork.* Cmon guys, lets get him!

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06:01 pm »

Anybody else ever have the problems where dwarfs dont store meet or organs? i set a new food storage and i have barrels and i have a lot of room left. i even destroyed the butchery but they wont store the food.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: December 21, 2012, 06:22:25 pm »

Anybody else ever have the problems where dwarfs dont store meet or organs? i set a new food storage and i have barrels and i have a lot of room left. i even destroyed the butchery but they wont store the food.
I have always had problems with dwarves being slow to store food, especially stuff from caravans and butchers shops.
It might be a job priority issue like brokers who seem to always be busy doing something important like "on break" when they need to do their job.
You could try giving several dwarves/more dwarves only the food hauling labor and see if that gets some of them to work.

You should also check to make sure that your food haulers are not stuck in a burrow that prevents them from getting to the butchery or stockpile and that both the butchery and food are not forbidden.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: December 21, 2012, 06:23:44 pm »

@Meph

I you add toilets, I think they should actually do something...  Like give dwarfs happy thoughts and produce potash & saltpeter.  Toilet statues just...  Meh.  I'd rather you put more work into other forms of decoration if that's all a toilet would be.

And yes, my idea for a dysentery syndrome would have been a bit disruptive.  Toilets curing certain diseases might still be a worthwhile idea though.

@MiamiBryce

I was going to rename the ornamental bricks "glazed bricks" and create a more advanced glaze system for all ceramic products, so that there would be a glaze colour for each colour in dwarf fortress.  At least that was the idea.  Then I did some research, and found that glaze chemistry is actually pretty complex stuff.  So I'm still trying to work out how to make a simplified dwarf fortress version that doesn't kill everyone with micromanagement.  If anyone has ideas on that actually, I would welcome them...

fasquardon

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: December 21, 2012, 06:28:15 pm »

@Meph

I you add toilets, I think they should actually do something...  Like give dwarfs happy thoughts and produce potash & saltpeter.  Toilet statues just...  Meh.  I'd rather you put more work into other forms of decoration if that's all a toilet would be.

Happy thoughts can't be modded.

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: December 21, 2012, 06:33:29 pm »

Alright. well ill try to have dedicated haulers then and see if it does anything.  Even with designated haulers only and checking to see if meet is forbidden they still will not store items called Meat or tripe and organs basically.  What a nuisance it was never like this before latest patch. They will dump it into garbage zon but afterwards if i reclaim it they just ignore it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:35:17 pm by moisesjns »
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 749