Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1788178 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2a - Quick update, fixes and archeology. :)
« Reply #7710 on: December 24, 2012, 11:20:06 am »

Well, I started this mod when I was in Bogota, Columbia... and played DF the first time in Buenos Aires, Argentina... I have been travelling since almost 6 years now, so you never find me in the same spot twice. And about the availability: I dont even own a cellphone. ;)

Oh, and I met the guy posting above you, thistleknot, when I was passing L.A. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: December 24, 2012, 12:07:20 pm »

As a side note, what are those platinum skill aether thingies for?

I mean I did read something about them raising a skill to legendary, but I haven't gotten my fingers on another yet to see if that's true.
There's a fracture variant which seems completely useless though.

Edit: Oh, and Gryphons could kind of use a buff or something. They're kind of a joke for a megabeast. (Grab mace, bash it in the leg, it passes out, bash once in head - dead.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:09:46 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: December 24, 2012, 12:24:56 pm »

@arclance & zenerbufen: I guess the current version will stay like it is for a while, so Arclance, you can start on a linux version, and zen, you can start on a mac version. Except of course you'd rather wait a week and see what shows up in the reports I get ;)
I might be able to get one out later today or tomorrow.
I will update it to the Python GUI if zen gets something for people to play with soon.
If I include therapist it should be taken as experimental and not expected to work on every system.

You should be able to update the mod in the file I upload yourself, that works the same as in Windows.
I will have to make updates myself when the Python GUI or utilities change since they have to be compiled on Linux.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7713 on: December 24, 2012, 12:58:34 pm »

I did a little bit on the creature spawning departement... all those "set up turret/landmine", spawn treants/gargoyles and so forth should be working a lot better now. I also tested a new thing... if a dwarf works too much in the Church of the dark depths he might become mad with power and become your enemy. He will spawn 5-20 zombies and then transform into a lich.

This way you get a small army, more or less ambush-sized, INSIDE your fortress. I really like that mechanic, and will spend some though about how to use it best.

@bloax: The skills can be increased in the Creature Study. You need one skill aether (I renamed them to megabeast soul in the alpha, might do that here as well) and a container (which can be build in the creature study)... and yes, you get a mad skill increase for one dwarf then.

The fractures can be combined into one, if you have enough of them. Also in the Creature Study. Gryphons can fly, so I guess there strength is avoiding wall-ins, and not epic battle ^^

@arclance: Thats sounds good, especially if I can update it myself, if it only concerns raws. As long as I can unpack and repack everything without breaking it. Is 7-zip a good choice, or which program would you recommend ?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:05:51 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: December 24, 2012, 01:27:35 pm »

@arclance: Thats sounds good, especially if I can update it myself, as long as it only concerns raws. As long as I can unpack and repack everything without breaking it. Is 7-zip a good choice, or which program would you recommend ?
I looked a little closer at some of the stuff in there and it looks like you can't extract and repack it on Windows without damaging some of the links that are in some of the utilities.
You might be able to use a GUI archive editor to delete and re-add the raws to the archive without unpacking it on Windows so you don't damage the other parts of the archive.

7-zip is a good choice for the archive.
It has some of the best compression and can be extracted on any OS fairly easily since it is a open source format.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: December 24, 2012, 01:50:14 pm »

@arclance: Thats sounds good, especially if I can update it myself, as long as it only concerns raws. As long as I can unpack and repack everything without breaking it. Is 7-zip a good choice, or which program would you recommend ?
I looked a little closer at some of the stuff in there and it looks like you can't extract and repack it on Windows without damaging some of the links that are in some of the utilities.
You might be able to use a GUI archive editor to delete and re-add the raws to the archive without unpacking it on Windows so you don't damage the other parts of the archive.

7-zip is a good choice for the archive.
It has some of the best compression and can be extracted on any OS fairly easily since it is a open source format.

7-zip changed how it compresses things recently, so it's version dependent and not friendly for people that use an old version that works and have no reason to update.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: December 24, 2012, 01:56:28 pm »

7-zip changed how it compresses things recently, so it's version dependent and not friendly for people that use an old version that works and have no reason to update.
The latest stable 7-zip is 7-Zip 9.20 from 2010-11-18.
I don't see many people using the alpha version so this is likely not a problem until there is a new stable release.
If we run into problems with 7-zip I would say go to .rar or one of the .tar archive types.
I would not use .zip for this since it has very little compression.
Sigtext

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: December 24, 2012, 02:02:47 pm »

Meph: Well, you might want to try adding in a way to combine and use them as an adventurer, because it's kind of disappointing to kill something and only find that it dropped a useless trinket. :P

As for gryphons, flying hardly matters when you can get it adjacent to you and kill it in one or two hits.

Also, I just met a Jotunar lesser vampire.. I wonder how this goes. (Unfortunately my adventurer is a cripple, so no Speedy Gonzales for me. :()

But yes, use 7-Zip. It's cool and stuff. As for you Mac guys, I'm plenty sure this mod isn't redistributed in one package for every OS - and thus we (the other OS users) shouldn't be limited by the limitations there. :v
I mean 7 MB is pretty cool as far as free bit savings go.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:31:06 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: December 24, 2012, 02:16:26 pm »

I wouldnt use 7zip is its not built in on the mac, I was thinking to use .zip / tar.bzip / tar.gzip / or a compressed disk image.  The last is the best supported on the mac as far as retaining mac meta-data but is un editable for meph if he wants to update raws.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: December 24, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »

I wouldnt use 7zip is its not built in on the mac, I was thinking to use .zip / tar.bzip / tar.gzip / or a compressed disk image.  The last is the best supported on the mac as far as retaining mac meta-data but is un editable for meph if he wants to update raws.
Neither .7z, .rar, .tar.bz, or tar.gz are built in on Windows, you have to install 7-zip, Winrar, or some other third party program to use them.
Only the many .tar types and (I think) .zip support are installed by default in most Linux distros but .rar and .7z support should be easily installed through the systems package manager.

I think tar.gz (tar.gzip) has the best compression out of the ones you mentioned.
I doubt "compressed disk image" has much support outside of Mac.
Sigtext

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: December 24, 2012, 02:38:40 pm »

@Umbra, the companion thing. happens when i alt tab out of DF

apparently the alt key is the modifier for the C button pressing alt again stops it from appearing after alt tabbing back to DF

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7721 on: December 24, 2012, 02:46:15 pm »

I can already say that I cant pack tar.gz or tar.gzip on my machine... .zip, .rar or .7z... rar is the favourite from my point of view. Yes, 7z has a better compression, but not as many people know it. So I will use .rar for windows, for mac whatever zen thinks is best, and for linu whatever arclance things is best.

@bloax: I assume you encountered the griphon in adv. mode ? Because a megabeast that can outfly/outrun your civilians and just flies over walls/moats is a real threat. Even if the military can dispatch it quickly...

Dont know about the adv. mode usage of all the mod tools, items, and so forth... really, dont get me started on that, because I dont support adv. mode all that much.

@fairin: Ah... so thats the trigger. I wonder if I should just remove it... it might be good for adv. mode, but I dont want to compromise fortress mode because of that. I would just leave it somewhere with a little readme, for people who want to install it regardless.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: December 24, 2012, 02:56:50 pm »

I can already say that I cant pack tar.gz or tar.gzip on my machine... .zip, .rar or .7z... rar is the favourite from my point of view. Yes, 7z has a better compression, but not as many people know it. So I will use .rar for windows, for mac whatever zen thinks is best, and for linu whatever arclance things is best.
.7z or .rar are fine for Linux, no one should have any problem opening them.
I would not use .zip since it would make larger archives for people to download.
Sigtext

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: December 24, 2012, 03:03:06 pm »

There's no reason to not use 7-Zip, if they can unpack .rar's, they can unpack .7z's.

oh_no

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: December 24, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »

Meph, are you using 7zip? It claims to be able to handle mac's compressed disk images (.dmg) 

edit:
also, in the help manual (.chm) there are a few pages that are missing the top bar template so the next/previous navigation doesn't work. Here is a list of the affected pages:

Summary
Metalworking Guide
Creatures
Materials
Buildings
Extra Content
Human Tech
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:43:55 pm by zenerbufen »
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 749