Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1787769 times)

Solarion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2b - UPDATE and POLL
« Reply #7815 on: December 26, 2012, 06:48:39 pm »

Hi Meph,

About the Slag idea. I feel that any complication which only results in requiring more space or more dwarven labour accomplishes exactly nothing, as both those commodities are typically extremely cheap. I do like the intention of making acquiring metals somewhat harder, both from the perspective that it is very easy to get any ore you want in the first place (either from mining, trading [which, by the way, is also completely broken in that I can trade whole caravans worth for 3 gold goblets], or in your case, even the transmuting), and secondly also because once you have ores the rest of the process is trivial. Introducing more workshops or by-products doesn't really fix this, and I think that slag won't prevent fully steel-clad dwarves before the first caravan, like you mention as an example. I feel the main problem lies with the supply of ores, not the industry around it.

What I'd like to see is a map with, for example, one type of metal somewhat common, a few other types rare, and the rest only (modestly and expensively) trade-able. However, I have not found this balance yet, as I can only seem to switch between 'swim in ALL the metals' and 'nothing shiny in sight'. What might also work is cave-ins for too large empty rooms actually possible, making the process of mining actually dangerous (however not as randomly deadly as warpstone did. I kinda disliked that you do a little exploratory mining and suddenly lose three miners to some smoke. Carefully planning out a pattern that won't collapse would be more up my alley). But I don't really see that happening without toady doing it himself.

Just my two cents.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: December 26, 2012, 07:08:01 pm »

looks like I figured out my answer to my rock bin's (and gonna borrow the rock barrell)

I used agent ransack to do the searching.

entity_default.txt
  line 1532
  permit craft_stone_bin

[PERMITTED_REACTION:CRAFT_STONE_BIN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CRAFT_STONE_BARREL]

reaction_masterwork.txt
  line 8025

[REACTION:CRAFT_STONE_BIN]
   [NAME:craft rock bin from block]
   [BUILDING:GRINDER:CUSTOM_N]
   [REAGENT:A:1:BLOCKS:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BIN:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   YESDUST[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:DUST][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   [SKILL:STONECRAFT]

[REACTION:CRAFT_STONE_BARREL]
   [NAME:craft rock barrel from block]
   [BUILDING:GRINDER:CUSTOM_V]
   [REAGENT:A:1:BLOCKS:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BARREL:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   YESDUST[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:DUST][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   [SKILL:STONECRAFT]

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2a - POLL about next big project
« Reply #7817 on: December 26, 2012, 07:30:25 pm »

SLAG SYSTEM - THIS IS NOT IN THE GAME YET. I JUST WANT YOUR OPINION

I would like to introduce an optional waste system to make metal refining harder. I want to do this, because I had a fully clad steel dwarf in the succession fort, before the first caravan arrived. This means that the current layout is way too easy.

- Slag and flyash is a realistic byproduct of ore refining.
 - I would also like to use more realistic catalysts in the furnaces.
 - For each metal bar you would create 1-2 slag.
 - Slag can be tossed in a new building, the Slag Pit, to destroy it.
 - Slag could be used to create cement/concrete blocks for constructions.
 - Slag would create miasma if not destroyed in time. (if I can mod this in)
 - Slag would clutter the furnaces, if not destroyed/moved.

Do some more reserch into slag Meph, you got the concrete part right, slag can be ground into powder and mixed in with normal concrete to make bigger batches (or some such, been awhile since i looked into it) It also makes good fertilizer (convert slag into potash for farms) and can be used as a glaze, and I think glass too (grind it into black sand) and I've never found Slag making a stink to be honest, I know I have slag as a byproduct of my blast furnaces. If you are making a "Slag pit" why not just a "Grinder" and have it do all types of stones and such (you know a de-clutter-er) because why would anyone make another building that does just 1 thing :P

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: December 26, 2012, 07:48:10 pm »

Meph: here's the weird issue I was getting earlier I was talking about (construction menu related), fortress mode (looks like an adventure mode menu)

http://i47.tinypic.com/2iw0xw3.png

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: December 26, 2012, 07:51:02 pm »

Hm, I like the slag idea, just because I am always short of uniform rocks.  Toxic miasma releasing slag I don't like, it is unrealistic and overkill.  The added clutter is going to punish people enough, given how it is going to suck up framerate.

The idea of making waste management a bigger part of the game has alot of appeal to me in general - as I am sure you can tell from my enthusiasm for working toilets.  Waste disposal is one of the largest challenges of real settlements.  The dwarfs do have it quite easy.  I think waste materials should be useful though.  Making things pure pain are just annoying.  Making it something that is useful if you can set up the right infrastructure is pain with eventual reward.

On making metals more difficult to get, I think you are better off making the workshops bigger and/or require more tools to build.  Like a forge requiring a hammer, an anvil and some tongs, rather than dwarfs being able to hammer red-hot metal with their bare hands...

I think that in general, the biggest factor that makes dwarfish industry so easy in the game is that for most workshops, all you need to build them is a boulder.

fasquardon

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: December 26, 2012, 07:57:47 pm »

Update:

no, my craft stone bin is still not showing up...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: December 26, 2012, 09:18:14 pm »

Update:

no, my craft stone bin is still not showing up...

You need to change the building from GRINDER if you want it outside of Masterwork.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: December 26, 2012, 09:37:07 pm »

I was looking for building in the original, and never saw a mention of grinder, or masonry (maybe I didn't check masonry, but I believe I did)

I guess what I would be asking is,

what do I set it to?

Masonry's Workshop?  Mason?  Masonry?

so yeah, let me know, it will save a lot of time

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: December 26, 2012, 11:26:33 pm »

The second line of the stone bin whosit says GRINDER. Change it to CRAFTSMAN, as there is no masonry workshop.

Solarion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: December 27, 2012, 04:53:20 am »

Hi Meph,

About the Slag idea. I feel that any complication which only results in requiring more space or more dwarven labour accomplishes exactly nothing, as both those commodities are typically extremely cheap (for me at least). I do like the intention of making acquiring metals somewhat harder, both from the perspective that it is very easy to get any ore you want in the first place (either from mining, trading [which, by the way, is also completely broken in that I can trade whole caravans worth for 3 gold goblets], or in your case, even the transmuting), and secondly also because once you have ores the rest of the process is trivial. Introducing more workshops or by-products doesn't really fix this, and I think that slag won't prevent fully steel-clad dwarves before the first caravan, like you mention as an example. I feel the main problem lies with the supply of ores, not the industry around it.

What I'd like to see is an embark with, for example, one type of metal somewhat common, a few other types rare, and the rest only (modestly and expensively) trade-able. However, I have not found this balance yet, as I can only seem to switch between 'swim in ALL the metals' and 'nothing shiny in sight' in the world gen parameters.
What might also work is making cave-ins for too large empty rooms actually possible, making the process of mining actually dangerous (however not as randomly deadly as warpstone did. I kinda disliked that you do a little exploratory mining and suddenly lose three miners to some smoke. Carefully planning out a pattern that won't collapse, or better yet needs reinforcing, would be more up my alley). But I don't really see that happening without toady doing it himself.

Just my two cents.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7825 on: December 27, 2012, 09:47:19 am »

The second line of the stone bin whosit says GRINDER. Change it to CRAFTSMAN, as there is no masonry workshop.

if i wanted to make it a masons workshop
 how so?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7826 on: December 27, 2012, 10:23:12 am »

Wow, really surprised to see the Chaos Civ getting that many votes... after all, I dont think many people kill of the circus, especially in this mod. ^^

thistleknot, this has nothing to do with this mod. Your last 5 posts are all about general modding knowledge, like tags and reactions. Please post them in a fitting thread, not here. You cant add anything to the masons shop. I recommend reading the wiki, instead of just asking a question for every line ^^

Solarion: I increased mineral scarcity a bit, and will see what I can do about the buildmats. I'll still test out the slag system in a fort myself, before I force it upon anyone (of course optionally)

fasquardon: the problem is to find a good reason for a waste management system. Yes, it is realistic, and yes, if toady would introduce one, people would go along with it. But if I add one as an option, 95% or so would just disable it... not worth the trouble then.

nevets, I cant mod the original mason and the block reaction in it...

godlysockpuppet, the hammer/spear typo was fixed in the alpha... I did it again, for this version :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:26:33 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7827 on: December 27, 2012, 10:32:31 am »

thistleknot, this has nothing to do with this mod. Your last 5 posts are all about general modding knowledge, like tags and reactions. Please post them in a fitting thread, not here. You cant add anything to the masons shop. I recommend reading the wiki, instead of just asking a question for every line ^^

This was 4 posts ago
Meph: here's the weird issue I was getting earlier I was talking about (construction menu related), fortress mode (looks like an adventure mode menu)

but maybe it's not related to your thread as maybe it's not a mw bug, and rather a df hack bug, but it was a follow-up to what I was experiencing with your mod (the only thing I updated was the dfhack version).

And most of the questions were followup to my original extraction of some of your modded in items, but.... I thought they might fit better in a general modding question forum...  So I'll redirect.

What wiki?  here ? http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page  As I don't see any tutorials on modding other than some stuff on alchemy.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7828 on: December 27, 2012, 10:36:02 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Token This will answer ALL tags possible. There is a ton about modding on the wiki.

Do you have the alt+c companion order screen in the V2b ? Because I need as many infos as I can... Check this out, this is how a bugreport should look:

Hello there. I'm posting to report an Archeology glitch in 2a on ASCII version. There is a reaction called "Identify found fossil" which takes ANY rough gem and has 10 rolls for 13% to get a fossil.
So it takes a gem, profuces fossil and uses that for this reaction again and again or something, resulting in insane amounts of loot.
The reaction code I found in the raws
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:PREPARE_FOSSIL]
[NAME:identify found fossil]
[BUILDING:ARCHEOLOGIST:CUSTOM_F]
[REAGENT:A:1:ROUGH:NONE:INORGANIC:FOSSIL]
[PRODUCT:13:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FOSSIL_1:INORGANIC:BLANK]
[PRODUCT:13:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FOSSIL_2:INORGANIC:BLANK]
[PRODUCT:13:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FOSSIL_3:INORGANIC:BLANK]
[PRODUCT:13:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FOSSIL_4:INORGANIC:BLANK]
[PRODUCT:13:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FOSSIL_5:INORGANIC:BLANK]
[PRODUCT:13:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FOSSIL_6:INORGANIC:BLANK]
[PRODUCT:13:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FOSSIL_7:INORGANIC:BLANK]
[PRODUCT:13:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FOSSIL_8:INORGANIC:BLANK]
[PRODUCT:13:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FOSSIL_9:INORGANIC:BLANK]
[PRODUCT:13:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FOSSIL_10:INORGANIC:BLANK]
[SKILL:CUTGEM]
[AUTOMATIC]
Any help on that?

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2 - New version is there.
« Reply #7829 on: December 27, 2012, 10:41:58 am »

well here's the original post about the issue, so this is how I was getting the companion screen, haven't tested with v2.0b

since I don't have any raw specific info about it, I'll just leave this here

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

thanks for the token info
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 749