Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1790300 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2b - UPDATE and POLL
« Reply #7830 on: December 27, 2012, 11:01:36 am »

So... you give me a bugreport about V.2a, then I upload V.2b, with this line in the changelog:
Removed companion-order and roomlist plugins fromdfhack, because they tend to pop up unwanted in fortress mode. (c and r key)

What more then explicitly stating that I fixed it should I do ?  :P

I wanted people to post about the slagpit and transformation announcements, and now an entire page is dedicated to this conversation, your modding questions, putnams answers, and my explanations to you. That way, the actual mod content gets buried further into the thread... I dont say you shouldnt ask questions, but find the right place to do it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: December 27, 2012, 11:05:06 am »

I didn't know it was companion order screen plugin until just now =D

but in all fairness, I didn't read the changelog

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: December 27, 2012, 11:09:08 am »

So... you give me a bugreport about V.2a, then I upload V.2b, with this line in the changelog:
Removed companion-order and roomlist plugins fromdfhack, because they tend to pop up unwanted in fortress mode. (c and r key)

What more then explicitly stating that I fixed it should I do ?  :P

I wanted people to post about the slagpit and transformation announcements, and now an entire page is dedicated to this conversation, your modding questions, putnams answers, and my explanations to you. That way, the actual mod content gets buried further into the thread... I dont say you shouldnt ask questions, but find the right place to do it.
It should be rebound to something else or use @dungeonmode e.g.
Code: [Select]
keybinding add Ctrl-C@dungeonmode gui/companion-order
That way it will only work in advmode.

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
new features
« Reply #7833 on: December 27, 2012, 02:54:40 pm »

The slag system your proposing sounds very cool, minus the miasma/toxicity of it. Hell, myself and most of the people from the town I grew up in used to play king of the hill on a gargantuan slag dump outside of town when we were younger, and none of us mutated too horribly.

I liked the idea of having to grind the slag up to make it into a filler for building materials as well. Perhaps make the grinder have to be powered to grind the slag into dust? Perhaps its the dust generated from grinding this stuff up that gets into the air and gives dorfs the old bleeding lung syndrome? Seems like a perfect job for the bee-keepers.

Transformation announcements sounds like it would be more trouble than its worth for friendly golems/spellcasters and such, but worth it for the things where an opposing sorcerer reveals himself and starts opening a portal to hell in your main hall.

On the topic of making smelting/smithing harder the idea of more requirements for the buildings themselves sounds reasonable. Needing blacksmith tools, firesafe materials for building furnaces and a couple mechanical and leather pieces for building a bellows to keep the fire stoked would make it more difficult to build up a matelworking op. Maybe have the blast furnace require mechanical power to run its large bellows? Have crucible steel the only type of steel that its possible for dwarves to make without something like coal powder or some charcoal made from an exotic underground tree?

The ultimate challange may be to not use magma smelters and have to rely entirely on coal/charcoal for all smelting, though that does not really need to be modded in, just done voluntarily.

Great mod by the way. Thanks for all the hard work and dedication. I really don't know how you even find the time for all this, what with traveling the world over and being a secret agent and all. Definitely appreciated.

CarpetFibers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: December 27, 2012, 03:02:46 pm »

Not sure if this is a bug with Masterwork or what, but wells seem to be spewing/spilling all kinds of liquids other than water, when a dwarf spills the bucket.

See here: http://i.imgur.com/g2lF3.png

Note that no fights have taken place near the well (it was just recently built). It's drawing from an underground water source which is closed off (no blood, etc in the pool).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:07:08 pm by CarpetFibers »

Labraid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: December 27, 2012, 03:23:40 pm »

Blood may come from symptoms rather then from fighting, if you have harder smelting or workshop smoke effects enabled even working at smelter or kitchen may prove messy, you might also have a plague of some sort in your fort and your dwarves simply puke blood all over themselves and then go to your well to wash it off.

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: December 27, 2012, 03:30:34 pm »

I've not used the transformation system yet, so I don't feel I can contribute very much to the discussion.  I don't know how annoying transformations currently are, so I don't know if being bombarded by popups is less annoying or not...  Certainly it sounds more annoying.

I think the argument for waste management - including slag - is: does it add an interesting challenge without adding to the annoyance of the game?  If you can answer yes, then I think it is worth doing.  But done wrong, you could end up doing the opposite - no added challenge, but adding to the annoyance of the game.  From the ideas you've mooted so far for slag, I could see it going either way.

fasquardon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7837 on: December 27, 2012, 03:58:35 pm »

Transformations do not happen that much, it mostly depends on how much reactions you do that include transformations. The main problem is that they all work with boiling stones, and they are unrelyable. Maybe it works, maybe not... this way people get a obvious notice. ^^

Ok, I will think about the slagpit some more... current idea is no miasma, but approx. 1 slag bar for each metal bar, and you can either destroy them, use them for concrete blocks, or to create fertilizer. All this is based on realism. There is also something called slag-wool used for insulation, but from the mid 18th century, so too high tech. I dont want it to be poisonous though... I just liked the miasma because it generates bad thoughts.

I would love to add coarse iron, and make something like steel step one, then steel, then crucible steel, then damast steel... BUT since the mod is so optional, it would be difficult to build it in. Of course I can steel out and put it in a difficult, expensive building. But then people say: Hey, I play without the uber-crucible-steel thingy, were do I do steel now? Answer: You dont, you just removed it. ^^

@carpetfibers: dwarves also go to the well to clean themselves, leaving behind those spatters. Dwarf has blood on him => go to well => clean => dwarf walks away, leaves blood spatter on the floor, the washed-off blood.

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: December 27, 2012, 04:22:34 pm »

Worth noting: I have never made steel or iron in masterwork - I don't find the payoff worth the effort.  Steel already has the most complicated production chain of any of the metals, so usually I've gone straight for the mithril.

So when making steel harder to get, it would be worth making everything better than steel harder to get too.

fasquardon

Labraid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: December 27, 2012, 05:02:09 pm »

As it is right now making steel isn't this much of a problem, especially with boneyard reactions to make flux. That's why I usually go for basic iron weapons to fend of the random wildlife then next upgrade straight to welded mithril.

Introduction of more complex steel production chain would surely make me rethink this strategy... or end up exterminated by first few ambushes. But as goblins do carry steel junk then melting it would be one of the most affordable ways to get steel early, given you can somehow take if away form them without filling up graveyard with militia or spending years building complex trap corridors or water flush drops.

EDIT: Now that I put some though in it. IF you make making steel a major pain and gobs would sill carry it like nothing changed then cold calculation would make me misplace trade depo at the bottom of to-be-filled pool. Relations drop from one gone-missing caravan would then be unable to offset the huge step forward of getting around 2-3 assorted sets of possibly advanced armour and weapons.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:15:49 pm by Labraid »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7840 on: December 27, 2012, 06:27:16 pm »

I'll have a look at the furnaces and see what I can do with buildmats alone for now. Makes it both easy on you, and the GUI. And remember, mithril is now exactly like steel, just lighter. Not super sharp anymore. Slademantine is completely gone, and Volcanic needs a lot of work... so the best you can do "early" is welded mithril. Which is 20% better then steel/mithril.

Buildings... expedition stuff is working, but I see what kind of finetuning I will do. Glassforge is done. Rest is empty, no reactions. Feedback ? (on the design of the buildings)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:59:08 pm by Meph »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: December 27, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »

I'd love more explanation of this 'expedition stuff,' as it sounds awesome. But vague.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7842 on: December 27, 2012, 07:29:45 pm »

Mh... I wanted to post the raws, but the character-limit said no...

It works like this:
- Make a gear-set for something.

Example:
Bard Gear, needs 1 instrument, 1 backpack, 1 flask, 1 drink.
Spy Gear, needs 1 dagger, 1 cloak, 1 blackpowder pouch, 1 backpack, 1 flask.
And so forth...

Then you can select where to send them.
Send spy to humans
Send spy to elves
Send spy to drow
And so forth...

You will now have a chance to get something in return. For humans you might get handcannons, bullets, or blueprints for weaponry, armory or gunsmith. Just imagine the spy stole them.

You can not actually send any units off-screen. All is done in the building.

Caravans are another example. You build a wagon. You run the reaction "prepare caravan" which needs 20 crafts and one wagon, you get a full wagon. You can now choose which civ you want to sent it to... you will get back your empty wagon, and crafts, toys, maybe armor, maybe weapons, maybe materials that are specific to that civ.

Mercenaries do the same, but with greater risk (chance you get nothing) and greater rewards...

Actual gear needed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:31:45 pm by Meph »

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: December 27, 2012, 08:00:06 pm »

Hello,

First off, great mod, thank you for all the hard work :) I've had a lot of fun with it since I first discovered there's life after vanilla DF, a while ago.

I seem to have stumbled upon a bug (and I hope I haven't just missed something in the changelogs). It bothers me slightly, though some may say I have been blessed :D namely, the elves seem to have completely disappeared.

They never sent me any caravans, so I decided to investigate, backed up my fortress, abandoned and found out there's no elven civilizations listed as neighbours anywhere in my world. I took a look at the other worlds I made before and I could find every race except Warlocks (disabled, I hate those cheaters) and Elves (doublechecked, they are enabled).
I thought that maybe they were slaughtered by other civs, but looking at the Legends mode, there were no Elven groups, historical figures or civilizations even mentioned.

These worlds have been all Medium size, Short history, Frequent / Everywhere mineral occurence and High everything else. I tried creating worlds with Medium and Low settings, but to no avail, the elves still wouldn't show up.

If that helps - I use the Ironhand tileset, my settings are default except -- disabling warlocks, Harder Learning and less solid rock. I've not modified the raws in any way.

Sorry if I'm repeating some already-stated problems, I searched this thread a little and found nothing substantial. :)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: December 27, 2012, 11:38:41 pm »

Not having a certain civ at all does happen. Not a bug.
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 749