Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1790144 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2d - Instant Update for smake :P
« Reply #8160 on: January 05, 2013, 10:43:44 pm »

Gem spears, scimitars, and sharpened weapons in general are good. [Basically gem is able to hold a steel-like (iron?) edge] Armor, not so much. I don't know exactly what the density/tensile strengths of it are relative to metals, but I doubt it'd be good for armor. Akin to using straight rock.

Note: Rock/gem shields may be an outlier in this. I've never bothered making gem/rock armor, though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:45:34 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8161 on: January 05, 2013, 10:46:30 pm »

@Mictlantecuhtli: I love me too. :) To stay on topic: Next version will have plants (and by extention farmplots as well, and trading of plants, and plant stockpiles, and kitchen screen) alphabetically sorted.

@fasquardon: So... the game is too easy then? I think I can do something about that.  And please, edit, no double posts. Gems have low shear yield, but almost steel-like impact yield, so... they should be bad for armor, but almost as good as steel for edged weapons.

@Molay: They should be underground. Seems any_land overrides the underground_depth tags, so I removed it from... 47 creatures in total, that apparently roam the surface, even if they shouldnt.

@smakes wife: Enjoy :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ImmortalBrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: January 05, 2013, 10:54:59 pm »

Damn, i was going to write a big post abount tests i've done in the last 2 days and you release a new version :D
Oh well, i'll get into testing the new version and will include parts of my previous tests.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: January 05, 2013, 10:55:54 pm »

Meph, what exactly does the 'Grazing' option do?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More specifically, it seems like the button doesn't do anything. An On/Off indicator would be handy ;p
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8164 on: January 05, 2013, 10:58:03 pm »

Test results are always welcome :)

@Mictlantecuhtli: To quote myself from the very first sentence of the "new version is here"-post:
Notes: There is a button for "Grazing" in the GUI. It has no function yet.

EDIT: I noticed that I yet again included one region in the save.. this last test-booting I do, to check for errorlogs. I deleted it and reuploaded. I am a slow learner in some things it seems. If you downloaded after you see this comment, the save is deleted, everything is fine. If you have a generated region, just delete it please.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:09:47 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: January 05, 2013, 11:02:38 pm »

Didn't see the second part in my hurry apparently!

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: January 05, 2013, 11:05:43 pm »

@fasquardon: So... the game is too easy then? I think I can do something about that.

Not quite the choice of words I'd use, but rather, reducing the amount of micromanagement makes the game far less cumbersome. Of course, what would help even further would be a good way to sort out migrants. I always have difficulty with that.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: January 05, 2013, 11:10:08 pm »

New version with fixes and stuff? *abandons fortress*

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:55 am »

Hmm.  So rock is the same, only able to hold a poorer egde, so on par with iron?  Or worse than iron?

And I'm not sure it is too easy.  More that my play style is too paranoid.  I burrow deep into the earth as the first thing I do.  Expose myself to the surface for only the briefest moments, before walling myself up again (and only when anything dangerous is safely distant), apply copious amounts of magma to anything that comes into my gatehouse (or if magma isn't enough, I make an obsidian caster to kill anything that the magma can't handle).

So most of the threats that are left are those I make for myself, or that the nature of the game makes for me, i.e. clutter and chaos.

Hm, it would be cool if invaders could disguise themselves as diplomats and caravans...  Perhaps using the caste system on some merchants, guards and diplomats to transform them into "evil versions" once they had enough time to get inside the average fortress.  That could cause alot of trouble to the hyper cautions-but-still-trading players.

(My latest fortresses have had the "secret fun stuff" on.  But none of those have lasted very long, and I've not had to deal with any carp gods or the like.  With the new version, I'll try it with diseases on, since the disease system is no longer a hopeless fortress killer.)

EDIT: Also, an idea for the expedition system: instead of having only success & failure as options, perhaps the expedition system could spawn enemies at the starting point after an expedition returned (which would also give reasons beyond roleplay to place the starting point outside the fortress defenses).  The idea being that raiding other civs might cause them to send punitive expeditions after you.  So sending a raid against the drow might result in a drow army appearing at your gates demanding vengeance.

fasquardon
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:39:42 am by fasquardon »

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: January 06, 2013, 02:01:48 am »

Perhaps there could be a way to only have it usable when the tile is marked as outside? Windmills are only active when they're outside, so maybe you could draw some ideas from that.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: January 06, 2013, 02:54:27 am »

Suddestion: A laptop keybinding system. Just swipe LNP's laptop keybindings. It gets a bit annoying for me to change the keybindings to something reasonable every time a new version comes out.

EDIT: Also, Ant's produce Honeydew, because of their own aphid farming. So, you could produce another cookable food product. Or maybe just have it produce "Mashed Ants", an edible raw meat product.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:58:43 am by Wrex »

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: January 06, 2013, 03:19:28 am »

I like your choice of picture for the kobold. I am using an edited version of that for a my DND games. Will play this tommorow.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8172 on: January 06, 2013, 05:30:36 am »

@fasquardon: Rock uses the stone template, should be relatively good for blunt and armor, but heavy/slow and bad for edged. Weapon and armor testing in the game is inconclusive at best.

Your playstyle sounds a bit... boring. I just started in a good/evil biome mix, with doors. No wall-in, no moat, no traps. I have one legionnaire... I plan on adding Saboteurs btw, that cause trouble with trading. No fighting planned for them, just sabotage. Raiding system backfiring sounds like a good idea, but I have to wrap the lore around it. If someone builds the starting point in the dining room without knowing that an army can spawn from it...

@Tally: Maybe dfhack can do this. I have to ask there. I know hives have that tag as well, and furniture.

@wrex: The LNP keybind file? I can easily add that as an option. I wanted to, but completely forgot about it. Meat from hives sounds too low as a product. Hiving is a lot of work, so I thought about the cornichea insect, that gives carmine dye. New dye source. And completely realistic. Second option are spiders for poisons, both I think would make people use hives more.

ImmortalBrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: January 06, 2013, 06:31:05 am »

Right now i have chosen a VERY menacing embark in order to test glass weapons/armor. And guess what? IT HAS NO SAND. Dammit, it took me a long time to get a 3x3 flat+sinister+volcano+river+metals+soil+flux and such embark! Apart from that i am having a very slow start thanks to xen infectors (who killed half my dwarves and started a tantrum spiral) Well, i will test glass a bit later it seems  :)

Anyway, some info/thoughts i wanted to share (hopefully it will have some purpose):

1.Decieded to try concubines out  :)
    1)They have tons of social skills --> they are always getting the mayor/expedition leader position.
    2)They can be drafted into the military. I actually take 5 of them in the beginning in order to have some militia.
    3)They can be transformed into anything (golems, shadowmancers, etc).
    4)They can do basic labor (like mining).
All in all - everything is ok apart from social skills. I think they need to be removed.

2.Automatons.
   1)Apparently, they can die of old age. :)
   2)They tend to get wiped out during world gen (at least for me, in 90% of maps there are none automatons present)

3.Glass and Gem items ideas:
!!!Bear in mind that this part was typed before 2d patch!!!

I wasn't able to test glass and gem weapon/armor properly (reason stated above), but i'll try to express my opinion on "what they should be"
   1)Split glass in tiers. Green glass weapon - between bone and copper, but sharper. Clear glass - almost copper, but sharper. Crystal glass - 20% worse than iron, but sharper. The big jump between clear glass and crystal glass is because crystal glass requires rock crystal instead of sand.
   2)Green glass armor - 20% worse than copper against slashing damage, bone grade against blund damage. Clear glass - copper grade defene against slashing, between bone and copper against blunt. Crystal glass - iron grade for slashing, copper grade for blund.
   3)Gem weapons - i've thought about something like "between iron and steel, but with a twist". Maybe make them very sharp or give them special abilities? (like old runic weapons had)

Concerning changes: Green glass => iron -20%, clear glass => iron, crystal glass => steel -20%
I think that you made glass too much OP now  :). Glass is very easy to get and it is actually free. I'd like to see glass as makeshift weapons that are only good for slashing (but wont suck horribly compared to rock).

4. New rune system:
Great  :) Had no chance to test it but i will try it asap. The only concern i am having is about golden rune. Wont removing tags like [NOPAIN] make killing megabeasts and creatures like GCSs very easy? And gold is pretty common for the enchantment it provides. What about making gold remove other immunities (like poison immunity)? To make other runes/poisons more valuable.

5. About the "what metal do you go for" poll:
Actually, steel is indeed easy to go for IF you have an easy embark. Well, easy embarks should be easy. If you choose a place without tons of metals/flux/fuel you are going to have problems with mass producing steel. Thats why i said that steel crates are OP for their cost - 40 steel bars for "free" without all the hassle with slag/flux/pig iron. So i tend to go with the first metal i find (copper/iron) and then upgrade to steel when i have enough resources for that.

Now about some things i've noticed while playing:

1. Double "helms" reference in armor stockpike.
2. You can order armoks ward/mines/turrets when you embark. Didn't try it with armoks ward, but turrets and mines simply get placed near your wagon without a chance for them to be moved.
3. I had 4 different map and i had no option to order a dog while embarking. Had an option for ironclad dog though. Either am i extremelly unlucky (had a map without plump helmets..huh) or you've messed something up :).
4. Drake scales now go to the refuse stockpile and have a bone sprite (phoebus tileset).
5. Standart "easy build" embark profile contains animals of the same sex. I guess thay cant breed this way :).
6. Turned regional weather ON:
     1) Evil region: got a constant dwarf blood rain that makes my dwarves go crazy with cleaning themselves.
     2) Good region: got a cloud of boiling gold that ripped all my dwarves to pieces.
I guess i can live without regional weather  :)
7. In case anyone is wondering about new "random" creatures, here are some examples:

Gonna test new features now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:05:23 pm by ImmortalBrain »

firons2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: January 06, 2013, 07:30:31 am »

The mod really needs more preset worlds.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 749