Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1776359 times)

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2e - Update: Increasing difficulty. And Orcs.
« Reply #8445 on: January 12, 2013, 10:42:42 pm »

Good news: That weird graphics change bug is fixed with the new version.

Bad news: My dwarves don't know how to stockpile wood anymore. Cut wood is now changed to logs (for some reason this isn't in the changelog). They don't count as wood for the purposes of stockpiling as far as I can tell, but they can still be used for reactions requiring wood.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8446 on: January 13, 2013, 12:19:04 am »

@Tally: I did not change any graphics, neither in this, not the last 5 versions. Cut wood logs are called logs since 5 version, I didnt change anything on that either. If they are not stockpiled, I will test. But you have to tell me which tileset you are using.

@nekronuke: If you want to write a demonic race, feel free.

@Firehawk45: They are overkill, which is the point of having a more difficult game. They are also rare, I had none, I had 1 tile in a testfort, highest I saw was 87 on a map. And that is not a lot, 87 tiles from ~2million. But soggoths and balrogs will be super rare.

@Umbra: No, quality modifiers or artefacts have no tags, so I cant use them for anything.

@arclance: I dont know... I always rush out and melee everything that enters the map. If you let the orcs sit there for a year, you get no migrants/caravans, thats your fault and your problem. The manual even states:
A special tactic of the orcs is besieging your fort. The orc army will start campfires and wait you out for a few months, hoping to catch a caravan of guard, and starve you of outside resources.
Its better then just making them stronger goblins, which is boring. ^^ At least orcs wont run into your goblin grinders.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: January 13, 2013, 12:34:16 am »

Meph regarding potential steampunk items, couldn't you make a new item called "Mechanized Arm/Leg" for example and then have it work the same way dwarf transformations work currently to turn a regular dwarf into another superrare caste of dwarf with one or more Mechanized appendages.

Its one of the things that always bothered me, having a good soldier dwarf lose an arm or a leg, which would pretty much cripple him for future battles. However if i could spend some resources to give him a second chance without using the other transformation reactions to do it, i would.

example 2 steel bars and 4 steel mechanisms and maybe some other fairly rare/expensive component like stable warpstone as the interface between dwarf and machine.

From what i can remember from earlier in this mods life there are limits to what and how many transformations a dwarf can undergo but as you wrote brainstorming ideas i thought i might as well float the idea and have you figure out if it is possible or even a good idea to implement in the mod.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8448 on: January 13, 2013, 12:39:20 am »

No. To make it really short. But you can heal all your "lost a limb" dudes already, with any transformation, ever.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: January 13, 2013, 12:47:17 am »

I'd actually like that alot. There'd need to be separate reactions for left/right arms/legs, though [Install Left Arm, Install Right Arm, Install Left Leg, Install Right Leg]. The game wouldn't really know what limb is what post-transform with just an Arm/Leg reaction. Makes it so you can't just make a Dwarf have all clockwork limbs, too.

Of course the reactions all boil down to the same thing: making another creature magically appear, which is a bit gamey since it insta-heals them. That is why the reactions should take [clockwork?] mechanisms and even warpstone to make. You also can't transform them after they've been changed, so it'd be limited for one-time [Per Dwarf] uses.

Not easy to just make all your Dwarves killing machines, then. Might even give the Automatons an actually useful drop. It's not too far of a stretch from the systems we've already got, which transform your Dwarves into nigh Super-Saiyans.

If you're against it I'd like to know why, because I could probably do some rough reactions. You'd just need to make 4 new Dwarves [castes with 0% spawn rate] with slightly stronger limbs [that 'bleed' the same way Automatons do].

And, hey, more Sciencedwarf stuff wouldn't be a thing I'd complain about.

Of course, this is all assuming you can make a limb bleed differently than the creature itself. I'm not sure, as I've never tried something like that. I know you can make the tissue/bones different, though.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:00:41 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: January 13, 2013, 01:01:56 am »

No. To make it really short. But you can heal all your "lost a limb" dudes already, with any transformation, ever.

Does feel kinda cheaty to heal a dwarf with something that is basically free though, which is why i suggested this.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8451 on: January 13, 2013, 01:06:51 am »

Guys, stop. It will never work. The reason is that you would have an already transformed dwarf in the fort. And this means he cant run the colosseum, spawning point, (future) music stage, any magical building, the mining-ambush-tricks I added, and all other transformation based stuff. So no. I will add something to heal a dwarf and replace limbs to the Apothecarius, but I cant and wont make artifiial steampunk arms or legs.

It would also require to make them a caste in worldgen, and the might arrive with migrants, which is not all bad... but all very un-fantatsy-medieval like. There is a big gap between a steam engine and fake limbs that work on steam. (said the guy who added automatons as enemies, I know)

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: January 13, 2013, 01:12:28 am »

Fair enough. Didn't realize just how bad having already transformed dwarves would fudge things but then, that is why you're the modder and i am not.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: January 13, 2013, 01:19:03 am »

Might I suggest a Clockwork Golem? Basically the same thing as current ones, but Steampunk-y. I love steam effects on creatures in this game, heh.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8454 on: January 13, 2013, 01:21:13 am »

If I do the gnomes I will add some steampunky stuff, no worries. But it will be lategame. They get max triggers for trading, and show up with caravans at the same time frost giants show up. Then you can order stuff and have to wait another year to get the goods. Then you can start building steampunky things. Probably 5 ingame years min.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: January 13, 2013, 01:52:14 am »

Meph, I am using ASCII+ if that helps. No creature tiles. Also, for the last few versions aside from this one, all the logs I would cut directly from trees would just be called rough wood rather than logs, so I'm even more confused now.

Edit: On the subject of prosthesis, I could probably see simple prosthesis being one thing included in vanilla DF, but that's on Toady to make and decide for himself whether or not it works, unless there's a partial transformation or an 'add-on to creature' function added later. There are some pretty impressive prosthetics dating back to those days though, such as the one this guy wore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tz_von_Berlichingen
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:00:14 am by Tally »

gn0rt0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor Set Macro
« Reply #8456 on: January 13, 2013, 01:56:36 am »

I just noticed that the macro to create armor sets is missing. Is this intentional? I couldn't see anything in the release notes.

gn0rt0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Manual
« Reply #8457 on: January 13, 2013, 01:59:30 am »

The new manual is looking good, but one thing I liked about the old manual was that I could use the search function quickly. Right now, I don't have any options other than clicking through each link to lookup information, unless I am missing something. What are the plans for searchability now for the manual since it's moving to HTML?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8458 on: January 13, 2013, 02:17:32 am »

I know of Götz, hes awesome :)

About the plants: I failed to copy the plant_standard.txt for all the ascii sets. Completely forgot, that each one has its own. Just go to masterworkdwarffortress/matrix/raw/objects/plant_standard.txt and copy it into your raws. That will fix everything regarding plants.

Seems I will do a little bugfix update later today, I have a look at what else I can find. Will play a little testfort I guess. Currently I have this:

- Fixed steel mechanism in Gunsmith
 - Fixed magma armory blueprint copying
 - Fixed melting hellfire imps (fortress defense)
 - Fixed badgerman bodysize (fortress defense)
 - Fixed all possible error combinations from adding one FD race, but not another (entities were sharing items they shouldnt have)
 - Fixed Ascii and Ascii+ plant_standard.txt (was not updated)

@gnorton: Yes, I removed it, because I changed some items, and most of all: sorted them differently. All armor macros are broken, so I have to redo them, at some time, far far in the future. ^^

See JodGaps posts about an every better manual. I am sure he can magic some search functions in there. But ctrl+f works atm.

cAPSLOCK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: January 13, 2013, 03:24:05 am »

Excellent!

Tomorrow I'll try the new version out! For now I'll get some sleep.
The flying -Wooden Bolt- strikes the Steel Clad Adventurer in the right foot, tearing the muscle and chipping the bone!

The Steel Clad Adventurer gives into pain.

The cAPSLOCK has become enraged!
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 749