Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1776013 times)

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork☼ Dwarf Fortress - V0.1 - DF V.31.25 incl. grapics/sound
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 06:42:13 pm »

What exactly do you have to change in the raws so that invaders show up with more than one or two pieces of armor anyways? I'm also guessing that the change to material requirements for making armor is to change material size based on 1 bar = 150 units in the item_ raws?

And btw a suggestion: make as many of the changes be modular so that each part (or each section) can be downloaded and applied individually. Some people shy from major changes to the vanilla game while others already have mods (or have modified the game themselves) and some of the fixes you propose are incompatible with what they've already done. For example I went through every grazing creature and upped the grazing value so that the bigger animals wouldn't starve out on a 10x10 pasture.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »

Just posting to say this sounds awesome.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »

Thanks for the feedback :)

I will try to keep it modular, but it is difficult as soon as it concerns the original raws. Everything new I add, you can leave out or not, your choice. But balancing, bug-fixes, new reactions in the entity raw... that wont go as easy. I would need a filemerger utility that recognizes the differences...

I added this to the entity raw for goblins:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It is untested as of yet.

About material for armor: You are correct, sir.

I'm currently testing what I have in a longer game, and will report about invaders, diplomats and traders as soon as possible :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress - V0.1 - DF V.31.25 incl. grapics/sound
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 08:11:40 pm »

Limiting wood by seperating the trees by biome is an awesome idea :) 

But the rocks would be a lot mor difficult. All the metals are associated  with certain minerals, and gems as well... also shallow and deep... I think with my entire 4 days of modding experience I would end up breaking the game and leaving people metal and gemless ;)
Ah well the basic stone layering is like this:

Ground level: Soil
Under ground level: Igneous Extrusive / Sedimentary
A bit deeper: Metamorphic
Quite deep: Igneous Intrusive
Deeper then deep: DEEP

As you can see, the only variation you can effectively toy with is igneous extrusive / sedimentary. For instance, I forced iron on igneous extrusive and flux on sedimentary so the player almost always have to import something for his steel industry.

Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress - V0.1 - DF V.31.25 incl. grapics/sound
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 08:36:09 pm »

Limiting wood by seperating the trees by biome is an awesome idea :) 

But the rocks would be a lot mor difficult. All the metals are associated  with certain minerals, and gems as well... also shallow and deep... I think with my entire 4 days of modding experience I would end up breaking the game and leaving people metal and gemless ;)
Ah well the basic stone layering is like this:

Ground level: Soil
Under ground level: Igneous Extrusive / Sedimentary
A bit deeper: Metamorphic
Quite deep: Igneous Intrusive
Deeper then deep: DEEP

As you can see, the only variation you can effectively toy with is igneous extrusive / sedimentary. For instance, I forced iron on igneous extrusive and flux on sedimentary so the player almost always have to import something for his steel industry.
That is a more accurate layer setup then mine. I don't work with Inorganic materials or layers much.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 11:37:28 pm »

I will have a look through your raws then, rephikul. You make it way to easy, having done all the hard work already... ;)

I also added some Screenshots and continue testing. So far many things dont add up perfectly, but at least 50% of the stuff i wanted to do works. The errorlog also shows not a single error, so it semms I am doing something right at least.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 11:49:39 pm »

WOW! how did you make the requirements for unmoddable stuff to go up "Your screenshot of the Gold Statue needing more bars?" or is he just mad because you only had one, it got used, and is just screaming out the old needed value? kinda like when making cloth items they announce "needs 15000 cloth"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 12:08:35 am »

Magic.

On the other hand, you are right, he just yells about the old, broken value. I checked, the statues are still build with only 1 bar.

The screen was about the diplomat, and when I saw that about 3 bars, I though: Nice, i can show another feature. Did not even notice that it wasnt the armor/weapon smithing that I modded... argh. I did correct the pic though... damn, I should really be more careful when uploading stuff ;)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 12:22:44 am »

lol I was like "IT'S NOT POSSIBLE, MEDIC!" I also included your fix for elven/human diplomats and the trading. Now I just need to wiki the making of Gunpowder again so I can finish up the gunsmithing and finally release V4.0 Regen lol, If I have your permission I might merge some of your mod with mine.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 12:32:07 am »

Sorry, but: lol

I sift through already existing mods and utilities and try to make a good mix. Mostly I alter stuff, some is a direct copy (after asking first), but very little is written solely by me.

If you want to use something, go ahead, but please tell me what it is, since it might be that I am not the author to give credit to, but someone else ;)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 12:38:34 am »

Thats why I included "might" lol I very much so don't like using other peoples stuff, and try to stay as "orginal" as I can. Unfortunely some of my stuff has already done (acually probally all of it) but I haven't seen those mods. So does it count as stealing if you never knew you stole it because it seemed like a legit idea?

Duh dun DUN

and that is the question lol

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 12:42:33 am »

Thats why I included "might" lol I very much so don't like using other peoples stuff, and try to stay as "orginal" as I can. Unfortunely some of my stuff has already done (acually probally all of it) but I haven't seen those mods. So does it count as stealing if you never knew you stole it because it seemed like a legit idea?

Duh dun DUN

and that is the question lol

Coincidental inventions happen all the time, and the court usually never finds anyone in the wrong in serious real world matters.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 03:42:51 am »

Interesting mod. :) Have you taken a look at the Wheelbarrow mod?

Found here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96088.msg2744036#msg2744036
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 11:46:19 am »

I did so just now :) Looks like a good concept for wood and stone, items without qualitiy modifyer.

I might try to add these two, a logging cart and a mining cart, or something in the lines of that. I also noticed that deon is working on the same thing, and that narhiril and hugo have already found and used that idea.... again ;)

But thanks for pointing me into the direction.

Unrelated to that: There are many features that are included in almost every major mod. Things like the breaking down of build furniture/items, the adding of stone variants of weapons/bins/barrels, incinerators that destroy unwanted stuff... religion, caste systems...

I wonder if I should add all that as well, and if yes, what exactly. I will not add more stones/minerals/metals/trees...

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 12:36:17 pm »

Interesting mod, with great promise and wondrous potential, but perhaps not for me. Looks great though.

I'm not really sure why players in DF are so dead-set on killing their nobles to make things easier, then go in and mod things like 'tougher farming' or steel making or what-not. The chickens thing, for instance, is certainly not a bug. As anyone with chickens can tell you, even a small amount of chickens will result in more fresh eggs then you and your family and your friends and anyone you know can eat. Likewise, farming enough food to eat is really, really easy. The problems come in, historically speaking, when farmers are forced to grow specific things, or all the same variety of one thing (see: the potato famine) which either results in not enough food for the farmers, or nothing that they can sell (See: Mysore, India during the 1920's/1930's). Its the mandates which make it hard, historically speaking.

That being said, if you try and make an industry based just off of exporting grown - not cooked - food, you will find it remarkably tough. But if you then cook and prepare it, it will become remarkably easy. Quality levels for prepared food result in prices that are a bit too high in my opinion, but...again, thats where mandates come in, to mess up farming, and steel-making, and what-not. But usually people just kill off the nobles...

Anyways, I like the mod. I like what you've done with it, and I think you've done a fine job. If I use it, I'll probably go back in and edit the changes to farming out, but I think you've done a wonderful job.

Best of luck, and good job on the hard work.

P.S. Regarding expansions, I would avoid getting too far away from your core principle, which is 'masterworking' the game, I think. Caste systems and religions get away from that. I'd stick to the core things which you have focused on, and try to make that essential enhancement as good as possible. If you -really- want to do religions or castes, I'd say just have it be an optional addon, or another (related) mod. If you stick to your core design philosophy, your mod could become an essential DF mod for many people. If you get too far away from that, it could just become another really great mod, because while almost everyone would want what you have in it already (or things like stone bins), the other stuff gets more into 'ordinary mod' territory. Which would also be fine. You just have to decide what your real goal is.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:42:43 pm by lastofthelight »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 749