Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1776322 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.0.9 - MAJOR UPDATE
« Reply #570 on: January 30, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »

@nukularpower: Yeah, you are the only one with crashes so far. The V09 has been downloaded 250 times, but nobody else reported a crash. Hope it stays that way.

I managed to fix the most annoying bug, the unknown creature substance leather type you can get at embark. (and armor, chests, bags, and so on) Took me 3h to find it, was a tiny mistake in the raws, local_creature_mat instead of tan_mat.  8)

And yes, of course the Automatons can be turned of. They should, in the end, have a steampunk feeling though, not Sc-Fi. Maybe scrap the rocket tube (although chinese military had those a few hundret years back)

I also found a way to reduce the amount of landmines/golems/turrets that come with mirgrants by about 80%. I will make just one creature for each, and make the subtypes with castes. This way there are only 4 creature types, not 19. The graphics will be done with creative tileset use for mines and turrets, and the golems get a slight overhaul anyway, and get just one graphic.

Treasure chests are gems that only appear in collapsed walls. Same as the deadly traps. I cant make anything appear in open space in the caverns, unfortunately. But I like how it turned out. You can use both features and have special treasures, turn the archeologist of, but still have the fossils, as valuable gems for trading, or turn both of, and scrap the feature.

@darunija: Thanks, I plan to keep it up ;) The manual is quite detailed about the religion though, I wouldnt know what to add... the wheelbarrows I will change to 3 subtypes, and add a better explanation to the manual. 

@putman: Thanks. These are the actual metals, do you happen to have the minerals and or reactions as well ? When I look at the names they sound familiar, all realistic metals I suppose. Problem is that they might not be useful. I still would rather add quality then quantity. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 30, 2012, 04:00:35 pm »

@putman: Thanks. These are the actual metals, do you happen to have the minerals and or reactions as well ? When I look at the names they sound familiar, all realistic metals I suppose. Problem is that they might not be useful. I still would rather add quality then quantity. :)

The easiest and most useful of that lot is probably cobalt, which already has its ore present in game (cobaltite).  All you need is a reaction to smelt it.  Cobalt could potentially be used for a high-strength, temperature-resistant alloy with steel.

LFR also uses neodymium (for permanent magnets) and palladium (for catalytic convertors).  Neodymium's ore is called monazite, palladium's is called cooperite.  Monazite occurs as small clusters in alluvial layers, cooperite occurs within igneous intrusive layers.  Cooperite is also an ore of platinum.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #572 on: January 30, 2012, 04:02:03 pm »

I can also use chromite for chrome, and the stones already included that (realisticly speaking) bear titanium or wolfram. Just grind them, and smelt the powder into bars. This way I dont have to add so many new minerals, and dont screw up the balancing.

Mithril would be gemlike cluster, quite rare.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:03 pm »

Using your "evil" worldgen, all the civilizations tend to get destroyed. Dunno if it's a bug or a feature, but I thought it deserved a mention. It's still possible to murder undead birds by the dozens, but no sieges and no caravans, and that's sad in my book.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:24 pm »

Can't wait for your next update man.

Which layer do collapsed walls appear in, and what can you get out of the chests?

I'm hoping for those fancy mood only weapons and armour you put in.

PS. You may want to change Wolfram to Tungsten, since I believe it's the more common name.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 30, 2012, 04:34:33 pm »

hey meph. about the new metal alloys, its possible to make a reaction produce 'half' bars as im sure you know, so why not make two bars = 1 and 1/2 so your not getting 2 better bars for 2 cheaper bars, but your also not having to dump massive amounts of resources into a few items made from them.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 30, 2012, 04:51:47 pm »

Treasure chests are gems that only appear in collapsed walls. Same as the deadly traps. I cant make anything appear in open space in the caverns, unfortunately. But I like how it turned out. You can use both features and have special treasures, turn the archeologist of, but still have the fossils, as valuable gems for trading, or turn both of, and scrap the feature.

This is just wild goose chasing here, since I know nothing about modding aside from adding and removing grazer tags.  I'm just curious, would it be possible to make, like, an immobile, attack-less treasure chest creature that would spawn in caverns, with extremely weak health, that would drop the "real" treasure chest gem when struck?  Kinda like old-school lock bashing... xD

Though I guess it could get weird if they spawned at map edges and built up into a pile or something... Not really sure how that could work.  Just a thought
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:53:35 pm by nukularpower »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 30, 2012, 06:14:32 pm »

All of those metals are real. I just took the real metal's properties, used MATH to convert them to DF values, and posted that. You can make the minerals yourself, reactions, etc. All I'm supplying is the metal. Cobalt is about as good as iron, the rest are up in the air, never really used them. Tungsten (wolfram) is also pretty strong. I recommend mostly using them for alloying and special reactions.

Mister Dirks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 30, 2012, 09:37:52 pm »

There seems to be a LOT of air men in my world =/. Had 4 of them invade my fortress the same year. Was fun and all, until I was distracted slaying one, and batmen invaded (made a cavern fortress). Using the scorching shiv world. Am I just a lucky guy and Air People just love my fortress or is the spawn rate high? D:
Every village = Farm plots
Vegetables grow and wither...
Thats about 100 tiles of dead food...

NECROMANCY, RAISE THE VEGETABLES!
WE WILL RULE THE WORLD THROUGH HEALTHY GOODNESS!!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #579 on: January 30, 2012, 10:33:05 pm »

This is just wild goose chasing here, since I know nothing about modding aside from adding and removing grazer tags.  I'm just curious, would it be possible to make, like, an immobile, attack-less treasure chest creature that would spawn in caverns, with extremely weak health, that would drop the "real" treasure chest gem when struck?  Kinda like old-school lock bashing... xD

Though I guess it could get weird if they spawned at map edges and built up into a pile or something... Not really sure how that could work.  Just a thought
One word "Mimics" more of a savage cave crab (cousin of teh hermit crab) that uses the solid constuction of treasure chests as their shell.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 31, 2012, 07:59:15 am »

ya Im always attacked by the Air men, tons of air men. However they only push my guys around, while in return my boys hack them apart (always wondered how they could hack an air man apart, but they do).

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
    • My game, a Medieval RPG. Sort of.
« Reply #581 on: January 31, 2012, 10:05:14 am »

just posting to say that i've had a few crashes when generating worlds longer that 125 years and that i usually end up with lots of wounded dwarves. The injuries are always in their feet. And sometimes the landmines explode when they arrive... I think those two have something to do...
Dear Urist: I, the overseer, appreciate your point of view about the danger that an unarmed goblin can represent at the other side of a fortification when you try to kill it with a ballista, but, as you know, you're not paid to think. And a mindless worker is a happy worker, so shut up and do your job.

You are a Hero, an fantasy adventure with dragons, mages, ninjas and Norse mythology

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #582 on: January 31, 2012, 10:13:58 am »

@bluesproto: I know that bug, but it should be fixed in the V.09 Landmine do not explode anymore, I am sure. Send you a PM about the rest.

Treasure chests give a random number of gold, silver and platinum bars.

Weapon bundles give random iron or steel weapon, that you cant otherwise produce
Armor bundles give random iron or steel armor, that you cant otherwose produce
Ammo bundles give a random amount of special ammo (fire, ice, blood, toxic, and acid)

The qualitiy depends on how good your archeologist is trained. Havent decided about the used labor yet, probably gemcutting.

TRex skulls give a helmet, better then steel.
Shark Jaws give between 10 and 40 shark teeth, better then steel, count as trapcomponents. For menacing spikes ;)
Unsettling fossils have a change to produce a demonic sword or armor, made of demonbone. Slightly better then steel.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:44:31 pm by Meph »

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 31, 2012, 01:46:20 pm »

I like a lot of the changes you've done, especially the work to simplify the game.  The leather replacement was especially impressive, as I've actually attempted that before, with strange results.  The modular component is also very welcome.

I'm less pleased with the lack of transparency.  While the simple configuration program is very useful for newer players who would have difficulty otherwise, it makes it troublesome to understand the modding logic and learn from it.  Thankfully, it is possible to retro-engineer, even so.  You might consider releasing a less polished version for other modders to work with.

Regardless, this is obviously a triumph.  Be careful that in trying to make it too user-friendly, you do not sacrifice user control.

P.S.  Just found the leather logic, you created fake animals.  That's brilliant, never thought of that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #584 on: January 31, 2012, 05:14:00 pm »

I actually took air men out. I couldnt figure out why they are so pre-dominant, so I killed the entire race ;)

I got two other idea that randomly entered my mind:
Gem Workshop.
 - Cuts Obsidian into Obsidian Gems. (currently in stonecutter)
 - Cuts a big gem into 2 small gems. (currently in stonecutter)
 - Encrusts weapon with gems (currently in craftsman)
 - Encrusts armor with gems (currently in craftsman)
 - Encrusts gloves/pants/shoes/helm/shield (new)
 - Make gem weapons (all vanilla weapons possible)
 - Make gem armor (breastplate, greaves, gauntlets, high boots, helm and shield possible)

Profession names.
 - Blowgunner skill used for guns, and are called rifledwarves.
 - Alchemy skill used for beastlab/some alchemy stuff, and are called sciencefwarves.
 - Strand extracor skill used for the religious buildings, and are called zealots, deavout followers, something like that. (since candy cotton is a metal from the gods, it also fits, kind of. Also allows the training of strand extractors before you find candy cotton)

I'd also love to make some civilian work that trains them in weapon skills, for a nice backup militia. Similar to miners being good with a pick. I have two options for that:
Make the reaction use a weapon skill, example: Woodcrafting needs knife skill.
Make a weapon that uses a civilian skill, example: Meat cleaver, uses butchery skill.

If I eridicate some old civilian skills, the one only used in one reaction (like the woodcrafter example) I could also rename the woodcrafter profession name to something else, and use it in custom workshop.

I am currently brainstorming, since I know that this might cause epic confusion. I think I will not alter any vanilla reactions, that would mislead people. But I like the possibilities.

The gemworkshop is finished btw. :)

@malorn: Thanks. If you have idea how to make the mod better, I am listening. What exactly do you mean by: "Be careful that in trying to make it too user-friendly, you do not sacrifice user control." ?

And I know that the raws are a mess. There are many artefacts from older version, or deleted things/reworked things. I am constantly putting up with cleaning them, since it does not affect gameplay. But for other modders it is a nightmare ^^  And the GUI is not moddable anyway, since it is a compiled exe, and no source code, like the DF raws.

EDIT: Yeah, just read this in the deflog: "Generally, a body part can be assigned any number of extra items in the creature definition to drop upon being butchered." Awesome. :D

EDIT2: I made following professions:
[PROFESSION_NAME:STRAND_EXTRACTOR:apostel of armok:apostels of armok]
[PROFESSION_NAME:BLOWGUNMAN:rifledwarf:rifledwarves]
[PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_BLOWGUNMAN:Veteran rifledwarf:Veteran rifledwarves]
[PROFESSION_NAME:ALCHEMIST:sciencedwarf:scienedwarves]

Since the poll is going towards: MOAR, and I have some things lying around already:
What do you think of blockfactory (blocks of specific materials) furniture furnace (metal furniture that is missing in vanilla) glass furnace (glass furniture that is missing in vanilla) and unraveler (makes raw mats out of cloth/silk items, maybe leather/bone as well)

I am personally against those, since they would have tons of reactions each, with little gameplay-value. It does not change the game much, if you can make metal and glass beds for example. BUT if you guys want it, I will add it as an option, as always. These are deons/mechanixs workshops, slightly altered by me. I got the permission to use them already.

EDIT3: (i wont double post, no no)
I also made this for the next manual:

Currently I am adding the metals, the new building for it, and the minerals. I will then test all of it, it is quite a bit, archeology, metals, beastlab, new professions, gem weapons and armor, the new guns, the three wheelbarrow variants and the new built mats I used to make the new buildings at least a bit harder to make. Nothing serious though.

(damn, this post turned out to be a lot longer then excepted 8) )
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:26:24 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 749