Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1772360 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2c - NEW POLL
« Reply #8145 on: January 05, 2013, 06:21:55 pm »

Butchering goblins is absolutely ok, because it cleans up clutter.

Carp stuff: Yes. Read the manual. (I love the fact ath I can just say this now, instead of answering questions that have been asked a lot. Just have to stick to it)

Silk hives require you to find a live colony of silkmoths on the map. And then you have 1 colony. I might balance it more, but till you get full 20-40 hives it will take a while ^^ And yes, I can put anything in there, but it has to have a natural colony on the map. I dont know yet if underground colonies work, but will have a look. Currently there are 4 kinds of things: bumble and honeybees, which can both be used for honey/mead, silk moths for silk, and ants, which do nothing. I thought about harvesting chitin from them, but thats silly. Harvesting a fungus maybe, for another high-value drink.

@puddingkuchen: Ah.. halberdiers... thats a leftover, he still got the lasher skill, its just named differently. War elephants are from fortress defense, I think I just take weapons away from them... and thanks for the BOX report, I will fix this.

EDIT: The only other farmable insect I could find are carmine-dye producing insects, cochineal. That would be an option as well. Problem is, that you cant tell your beekeeper to gather bees, or moths, or cochineal hives... so it would get all mixed up. cochineal live on cactusses, so I might add them to desert biomes, to seperate them a bit.

EDIT2: Disregard this, it is a fantasy game. If I want to make hive-able mice that spawn elephants on you, or spiders that can be farmed for venom, so be it. With the second option actually making sense.

EDIT3: Or super-small gnomes that live in your hives and leave items, like in the fairytales. Gnomes coming by and helping farmers and such... http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Nac_Mac_Feegle
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:38:40 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: January 05, 2013, 06:56:06 pm »

Seeing as this mod has dozens of castes, I will post my Dfusion problem here. I play the Fallout:Equestria mod, wherein the author used literally hundreds of castes to get the cutie mark skills right. I want to embark with a very specific set of ponies, but the Dfusion embark plugin won't recognize caste names or non-single digit caste numbers. How can I edit the plugin to recognize names or bigger numbers?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: January 05, 2013, 07:01:53 pm »

So I decided to crack open the caverns, since I had just barely breached it earlier, but saw tons of gypsum down there. It didn't take very long, though, for a troglodyte ambush to rampage through my fortress. I sent all my squads down and didn't realize until partway through the mess, watching my marksdwarves bash trogs, that I -still- forgot to set metal bolts for combat use, but still had the only bolt designation as bone bolts for training.

The ensuing mess probably would've been fitting to play Benny Hill to. Somehow I'm still alive, and one of my last ditch efforts was to sacrifice iridium to the Temple of Armok for the very, very slim chance that the dwarf would turn into a golem. I did get a golem heart on the first try, at least. Now I just need magma to make the forge! For now, I'm going to go build guns and hope that can get me back on my feet... assuming I can survive the impending tantrum spiral, that is.

Edit: Nevermind. Lost a dwarf to berserk/melancholy/insanity literally every minute. I was going to build an iridium statue to place in the meeting hall -just because-, but that needed 9 wafers. I decided to build an iridium coffin to put outside the fortress for symbolism, but that also required 9 wafers. I abandoned fort. It was going nowhere fast.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 07:14:30 pm by Tally »

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: January 05, 2013, 07:21:19 pm »

With the maker of Orc Fortress gone for a while now and not many people voting for stuff to be added to it, is the plugin eventually going to just be removed? I only play Orc Fortress, so I hope you decide to at least maintain it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8149 on: January 05, 2013, 07:34:56 pm »

Why should I remove Orc Fortress ? It is very good as it is. I even added Kobold Camp now as well, even if that one needs tons of improvement. But I like it, because it changes gameplay a lot.

The only thing I need is a manual for orc fortress, a readme I can include. Any volunteers ? :P

@tahujdt: Could you explain to me why you ask in the Masterwork Mod thread how to use a plugin (dfusion) which is included in dfhack, about changing castes in another mod (Equestria) ? ??? The dfusion thread, the dfhack thread or the Equestria thread are more fitting...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: January 05, 2013, 07:58:14 pm »

Well, I don't know much about modding but I was under the impression that it's difficult to update a mod when a new version of vanilla DF is released, in which case you might not bother to make Orc Fortress compatible and just remove it. So you aren't going to remove the plugin, but will you still add a few things now and then or just let it stay as it is?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: January 05, 2013, 08:10:27 pm »

Hi Meph & everyone,

just wanted to stop in and say Hi and Happy new year, I've been away from DF and forums for quite a long time, but I've been looking over my wife's shoulder the past couple weeks while she plays some MWD2 and it looks amazing.  Hoping to be around more now, once I get my bearings I will get back into documentation for Orcfort and whatever else I can do to help, still working on remembering how to play at the moment ;)  (Right now my first MWD2 fort is just barely surviving by selling pots of salmon, very non dwarfy!)

cheers
Smak

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8152 on: January 05, 2013, 08:28:54 pm »

@McDwarfEater: If a new version comes out, updating OrcFortress will be a tiny amount of work in comparison of updating the entire mod. And behold, as you speak, the author appears... he posted just below you :)

@Smake: Well, if I can coax you back into the forums with it: Just say a word, and the next update will be released. Instantly. Just for you :P

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: January 05, 2013, 08:35:45 pm »

@Smake: Well, if I can coax you back into the forums with it: Just say a word, and the next update will be released. Instantly. Just for you :P

Ha, okay, it's a deal!  :)

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: January 05, 2013, 08:48:21 pm »

I'm just trying to ease my pain by writing it down. So, here I go.

I've been looking for a nice, flat embark. Next to a river. And really hoping to embark with some useful castes for once.

I was lucky. Amazing castes. 1x craft, 1x smith, 1x armorer (YES! metal industry covered!!),  1x royal (because, why not, he can dig anyways.) and some regular dwarfs. I was so happy I got my smith at embark. And then even an armorer, too! Sure thing I could churn out some nice armor sets and decent weapons before winter, right? Carefully planing my embark, watching for all the traits of my dwarfs when assigning the labors... Miners were of high agility, too! My rockcrafter of high agility and strenght, able to carry his own rocks in no-time! An indefatiguable planter for endless supply of plants... I don't know how I managed to do it, but I spent about 30 minutes min-maxing my embark, so all would be perfect.

I was so happy. I never had such a good starting group.

So I embarked, once all was set.

Like always, I press "u" and take a look at units.
21 results! Holy carp. Quickly looking for anything threatening. No carp. Good. A giant sponge. Not so good. Platypus, caiman and otter, nothing really menacing, so far. And then... 3 more, last units.
3 Bronze Statues! What the hell? Oh right, I'm in a "good" area, so I get "good" bronze statues. Can't be a bad thing, heh? I read the description:
"An enchanted bronze statue, smaller than a dwarf, hostile and dangerous. It makes a ticking noise."
Crap. Let's hope they are not close, then, shall we? I look up where they are:
One about 20 tiles north of my embark, one about 10 tiles to the east and another one about 20 tiles to the south. URRRGGGG
Okay I thought, maybe it's a lie and they aren't hostile. Let's just play and see...

They all rush towards my encampment and start strangling my geese. I had 9 of them. My dogs didn't do anything (I mean, they didn't even try.). So, I called my peasants to arms. I made a squad with a combined force of a battle axe and 3 picks. They started hitting the statues. Doing exactly no damage. The statues started fighting my dwarves now, breaking hands, arms and legs of my poor dwarves, repeatedly punching them while defenseless on the MOST EVIL GOOD BIOME I EVER EMBARKED ON!

I could not fight back. At all. And so my last dwarf died on the 23th of granite, after three weeks of punching from bronze statues right after embark.

I guess I won't pray for smith caste any more. Who needs smiths? Who needs crafters? Next time I embark here, and I will, I will lead the legion into battle. And hope they can somehow kill bronze statues...

Any ideas on what weaponry would kill those bronze statues? What do I need to bring with me to pick them apart? I thought about a single broadaxe, maybe? Not sure I can afford anything fancy though. DF is a cruel beast at times.
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8155 on: January 05, 2013, 10:02:07 pm »

Materwork Dwarf Fortress V.2d

Notes: There is a button for "Grazing" in the GUI. It has no function yet. There is also a button called "Warpstone Lab", it toggles the building on and off. The building itself has no function yet. Special thanks to Talvieno for his creature script, and to everyone who worked on the old DwarvenRealms mod, from which I took the 200 new creatures. I couldnt reach anyone, and the mod uploader hasnt been here in almost a year... if I should remove them, please leave me a message.
- New Utilities included:

- New GUI options:
  • Transformation Message fix, turns of the box/popup now as well.
  • Tailor
  • Play as Kobolds
  • Simple meat
  • Simple toys
  • Regional interactions

-New Features:
  • Kobold Camp included.
  • 200 new creatures, including sprites. All fantasy-creatures.
  • Optional, procedually generated creatures included. 10-1000, of your choice.
  • Humans have steel now instead of rose gold.
  • Antmen drop chitinplate directly upon death.
  • Warlocks drop evil icons. sacrifice them at the temple.
  • Renamed seeds. All aboveground plants use seeds, all belowground plants use spawns.
  • "Small trees" used for treefarming are now called Saplings.
  • Raised value of piosons and venoms.
  • Toxicist needs a glob of tallow to make poisons waterproof.
  • Upgrade System for chitin, scale and shell.
  • Specific tanning reaction for chiting, scale and shell.
  • Tailor, make makes clothes and armorsets from organic materials.
  • Runesmith, engrave weapons, traps or ammo with powerful magic.
  • Weaponry and Armory Overhaul. Easier to understand.
  • Researcher's Study and Architect's Study Overhaul.
  • Removed Transutation Chamber, now included in Alchemist.
  • Silk moths. Beekeeper can farm silk now. Needs wild colony first.
  • Buffed glass used for armor and weapons.
  • Good regions have a chance of insta-killing undeads.
  • Good regions rains act as food/drink for dwarves that are rained upon.
  • All workshops show their needed skill ingame, in the workshops menu.
  • Kobold loot bags are now full of crafts, not bars anymore.
  • Plant fiber standardized to cotton. All plant based clothing is called cotton clothing now.
  • Toys standardized. Optional, on by default.
  • Meat standardized. Optional, on by default.
  • Four times less slag, but heavier individual slag items.
  • All custom tools are not improvable anymore. This way dwarves wont decorate paper, or bone studs and similar silly things.
  • Volcanic now only needs one obsidian and one slade boulder, to reduce hauling time.
  • Facehuggers nerfed. Less of them and a 50% survivalchance. (was 0% before)

SILK FARM
- Your beekeeper will collect silk moth colonies in addition to bee colonies.
 - Silk moths give 2 cocoons every 2 weeks, that makes 24 in a year.
 - Cook the cocoons in the kitchen to extract silk thread.
 - Splitting hives and gathering ressources works just like beekeeping.

RUNESMITH
- Use any weapon, trap or ammo and coat it with runes.
 - Runes need one bar of metal
 - Metals are grouped. For example silver and nickelsilver count as silver.
 - Each metal group has a different effect.
 - Add as many different runes to an item as you like.
 - You can even combine them with poisons.
 - If you improve the weapon in the weaponry, all coatings will be lost.
 - Killing enemies with the instant-kill effect will destroy their corpses.

TAILOR
- Unravel wool, silk or cotton cloth back to thread.
 - Make wool, silk, rare silk or cotton clothing sets.
 - Make leather, scale, chitin or shell armor sets.
 - These sets respect the upgrade system, so you can choose between normal, though, rigid, studded, lamellar...

ARCHITECTS STUDY
- Old Creature Research and Scientists Research have been removed.
 - You now have the Research and the Architect.
 - Researcher makes all experiments, and works with rare items, like megabeast drops or clockwork parts.
 - Architect writes all the blueprints.

3 PLAYABLE RACES

FULL CHANGELOG:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:02:36 am by Meph »

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2d - Instant Update for smake :P
« Reply #8156 on: January 05, 2013, 10:34:08 pm »

Time to go download a new version, I see. I'll let you know what I think.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: January 05, 2013, 10:38:32 pm »

I'm seeing The Hobbit in a few hours, so I may as well get my hands on some MWDF beforehand.

Renamed seeds. All aboveground plants use seeds, all belowground plants use spawns.

Sweet lord I love you.

Edit: Downloading this at 90 kb/s is awfully painful. Interested in a mirror perhaps?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:42:01 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: January 05, 2013, 10:38:40 pm »

I always abandon my fortresses when the new masterwork comes out.  I've never lost a fortress to any invasions or nasty creatures, all my fortresses have fallen due to beerless dwarfs murdering each-other in a tantrum spiral, or simple frustration as my fortress got so complicated that I found managing it a fun-strangling chore.  Since you usually find a few frustration-reducing things to include in each release, I pounce on 'em. 

This version the big draws are the procedurally generated creatures, the updated workflow tools (I could update those myself, but it is easier to have you do the work) and the new buildings, all of which look to be sound ideas for making dwarf fortress easier to manage (I will be sure to set up a silk farm in my next fort to test the silk moths).

fasquardon

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: January 05, 2013, 10:41:48 pm »

And are gem weapons and armour any good?

All the manual says is that they are "sharp", but it doesn't really give any comparisons to other materials...

EDIT: And for that matter, how about rock weapons and armour.  I would expect around about copper level, but maybe I am wrong.

fasquardon
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 749