Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1776032 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Big poll, 10 questions this time.
« Reply #8715 on: January 19, 2013, 10:09:43 pm »

mm is the boozebelly cheese to alcohol reaction suppose to consume stacks? any size stack comes out to 10 rum :s

That's a bug that can't be worked around, so yes.

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: January 20, 2013, 12:07:14 am »

Hey guys. I'm rather new in masterwork mod. It's awesome, but I had to edit raw myself as soon as some GUI-options (i.e disabling slag pit doesn't disable slag) don't work properly.
I had been confused by balance of the blunt weapons.
Here is a screenshot from arena testing. Hammerdwarves with wolfram and silver hammers vs Giant Tiger. Tiger is unconscious for a few minutes and all strikes hit the head. Is far as I remember - if hammer hits head, that hit is deadly. What the hack with it?

(clickable, I hope)

Tark

• Bay Watcher
  • on what even did not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: January 20, 2013, 01:24:44 am »

Hey guys. I'm rather new in masterwork mod. It's awesome, but I had to edit raw myself as soon as some GUI-options (i.e disabling slag pit doesn't disable slag) don't work properly.
Here is a screenshot from arena testing. Hammerdwarves with wolfram and silver hammers vs Giant Tiger. Tiger is unconscious for a few minutes and all strikes hit the head. Is far as I remember - if hammer hits head, that hit is deadly. What the hack with it?

(clickable, I hope)

I had a caravan get ambushed by some frog macemen, the horses survived for 6 months unconscious and constantly getting hit.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: January 20, 2013, 01:27:27 am »

(clickable, I hope)

It's not fatal unless it does brain damage, but your weapon isn't penetrating deep enough. There could be a dozen reasons why (I swears I heard silver is bad for maces in the mod...), super weak dwarf who hits like a noodle, the tigers general 'size' (larger their head, I THINK the less damage you'll do). I'd say try to make something like a wolframite (if you have it) mace, and see if it does the same. I'll try to give a few silver maces a go in my game, too.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8719 on: January 20, 2013, 01:44:39 am »

If you look at the weapon raws, maces and warhammers should not be much worse than vanilla versions.  Mace in particular has only attacks that are strictly same or better than vanilla.    (not to say you guys aren't noticing a real difference - just that if so, it's likely something other than the weapon design.)

@SabbyKat:  i don't think the properties of silver have changed.

edit:  I think the factor is that in Masterwork (some? all?) creatures have not just a single "brain", but a layered structure Outerbrain:Brain.  Blows to the Outerbrain aren't fatal.  According to your data Blunt strikes perhaps don't penetrate enough to damage the sensitive inner part, at least not to a huge creature like a Giant tiger.  And then, since Dwarves will aim all strikes at an unconscious enemy to the head, they'll keep using ineffective attack over and again.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:01:47 am by smakemupagus »

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: January 20, 2013, 02:10:19 am »

It's not fatal unless it does brain damage, but your weapon isn't penetrating deep enough. There could be a dozen reasons why (I swears I heard silver is bad for maces in the mod...), super weak dwarf who hits like a noodle, the tigers general 'size' (larger their head, I THINK the less damage you'll do). I'd say try to make something like a wolframite (if you have it) mace, and see if it does the same. I'll try to give a few silver maces a go in my game, too.

Okay, I've made another experiment. 10 dwarves (adamantine hammers, adepts) vs Giant Tiger 1. In another cell I've placed 10 dwarves (wolfram hammers, adepts) vs Giant Tiger 2. Tigers had been knocked uncoscious roughly at the same time. One minute passed, no tigers were killed (I think there was enough time). Then I created two dwarves (21&22) with Novice Knife User and gave them crappy silver daggers. They did 3-4 strikes and made a lasthit.
Primary deduction: Blunt weapons (at least warhamers) are bad for lasthits of big creatures, only for supporting fractures. It's possible that density of material is not very significant as shear yeild of edged weapons. In such a case, I need to do more science.

Offtop: Is there an imagehost, which is supported by this forum? I mean "click&zoom", but not opening image in a new window.

===
I think the factor is that in Masterwork (some? all?) creatures have not just a single "brain", but a layered structure Outerbrain:Brain.  Blows to the Outerbrain aren't fatal.  According to your data Blunt strikes perhaps don't penetrate enough to damage the sensitive inner part, at least not to a huge creature like a Giant tiger.  And then, since Dwarves will aim all strikes at an unconscious enemy to the head, they'll keep using ineffective attack over and again.
Yeah, seems legit.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:12:45 am by Legless »

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: January 20, 2013, 03:12:45 am »

answered the big poll.  Would like to point out that the only reason I don't use some buildings is because I haven't had a chance to yet.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8722 on: January 20, 2013, 03:13:07 am »

Huge wall of text.

Re:FPS :: Did you use the 'reveal hell' function of Dfhack? Or you could do a 'prospect all' command. What you're looking for is an Underworld Fortress or something of the like at the bottom of the list, or visible with reveal hell. I've found that hundreds of undead and demons spawn within even without you revealing it, leading it to utterly shutting down FPS.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: January 20, 2013, 03:18:00 am »

Hey, don't know if this should go in the Kobold camp thread or not, but the scrimshaw shop is making spear throwers, slings and throwing gloves instead of the kobold daggers and bone shortspears.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #8724 on: January 20, 2013, 04:43:02 am »

@Gamerlord: I got several of those, seems the Kobold Camp author forgot items in his mod. I'll fix it for my version and told him. Thats a kobold camp bug, nothing to do with Masterwork.

@Legless: Blunt weapons are good to break bones through armor. So iron swords vs. steel armor should be bad, but iron hammers vs. steel armor should have a chance. I dont know how good/bad they are in other combat situations, but I did not chance the values from vanilla df too much.

@gn0rt0n: Goats need to graze (usually, if you have the setting on) so you need a aboveground pasture for them. You cant have them in the fort, you cant use them on maps without grass, like deserts or glaciers... and I guess I should raise the pet value a little bit on them. ;) But overall I dont think they are overrated. If you stuff 100 of them into a little room underground, yes. But grazing is the "harder farming" for animals, so to speak ;)

@SabbyKat: Indestrictuble armor can be made at the Researcher (random experiment), the Temple(sacrifice armor) and by moods. There are about 200 or so of these items... probably more. Mood only stuff that is unique.

FPS-drop: Do you have a safe from the first fort? I would like to see it, use some dfhack magic to see whats wrong.

Dragons: They have no changes since ever. Why is the text like this ? And use shields or fireproof stuff, like netherbark against them. Or archers... all the same as vanilla df.

Harder farming problem with aboveground plants: I noticed that as well, posted that yesterday. I will chance it. I took the numbers from the "seasonal crops" mod, but just like the kobold camp author, the author of this mod made mistakes. Will be fixed.

Fishpond: They are mostly for maps without water, to give fishers at least something to do. I know that normal fishing is a lot better, but that doesnt help you in a desert. And yes, I know that most people dont embark on treeless evil glacier deserts, without a volcano and no items and no water... but if they do, their fishers would be useless... so I gave them something to do ;) I wish I could simulate the fishpond filling up with time to be "harvested" but thats something I cant do.

@MiamiBryce: Its in the releasepost, the GUI, and in several places in the manual, under Settings and Utilities.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:22:56 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ScottS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: January 20, 2013, 07:55:32 am »

answered the big poll.  Would like to point out that the only reason I don't use some buildings is because I haven't had a chance to yet.
Same here.  On the poll, I said I don't use many of the new buildings.  That is because I haven't yet had the opportunity.  I'm looking forward to trying them out when I get the chance.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: January 20, 2013, 07:57:34 am »

Erm, just a suggestion: Seperate the Harder Mining thing into the original one and the metalwraith. Those metalwraiths are bloody annoying.

rohit507

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: January 20, 2013, 08:39:18 am »

Actually, i'm a fan of the wraiths, they're pretty easy to defeat and make mining more fun.

That said, I would really like wizard blood and unstable warpstone, and other deadly sprays to take two seasons or so to kill (with instant incapacitation). At the moment they're basically instakills, and some (late game) way to protect against them would be nice, or at least enough time for my small fleet of doctors to get to them.

OverlordTNT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: January 20, 2013, 10:17:30 am »

does slademantine still exist?

Chiasm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: January 20, 2013, 11:09:29 am »

Hey guys. I'm trying to make bloodwine, but the blood pots (do I have to use barrels?) are just getting stuck in the kitchen. What's the proper stockpile setting to store them? I couldn't find any.
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 749