Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Embark w/o Flux - Doable?  (Read 16650 times)

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark w/o Flux - Doable?
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:37:38 am »

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hxep47de9hdz46m/THIS.png

(URL since I can't get it to embed the image, sorry)

I've got an obsession with volcanoes in DF right now, and this is probably the most perfect embark I've seen so far. A volcano AND a stream? This totally fixes the one problem with my previous fortress.

BUT NO FLUX STONE. Urist McDwarfGod hates me, I think.

So of course, I think, "Well, I can trade for flux..."

I have no idea how feasible that is, though. As it stands, I'll only need flux to create iron or steel, right? You guys think I can make it?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Embark w/o Flux - Doable?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:40:35 am »

OH MY FUUUU.

Yes you can live without flux. Just go for candy or iron. I think deliberately forcing myself to make forts in the most unforgiving biomes in the most unforgiving simulator game has made me too die hard :|

So yes, yes you can live without flux :P
(Trading for flux and steel items to melt is a feasible plan btw).

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:21:06 am »

a good idea if you absolutely must have flux is to make your fort overlap several different types of stone. my last fort was in the desert at the base of a mountain. the mountain was the only one in the whole desert, so it was great for building a home. it had everything except water. was fun. had all the metals, excluding nickel and lead. downside was that there were WAY too many forgotten beasts (the one I recall most clearly was a huge, fire breathing, purple horse. but back to minerals. sometimes you get lucky sometimes not. as they say, location, location, location.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:30:05 am »

Oh my. That looks nice.  Easy water and magma, lots of trees to kill, lots of soil for farming.  What exactly are those metals though?  If I came across a sweet spot like this, the ores would likely end up being something lame like galena, sphalerite, and garnierite deposits.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:43:57 am »

you can import steel goods from the mountain home and melt them down. If you want perfect embarks, use some cheating tools.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:06:10 am »

I don't really want perfect embarks, per se... I mean, sure, that's great. But having to generate like 20 maps to get one is how I paid for it. -_- Cheating really isn't as fun. Going over the maps isn't fun, either, but it's legitimate! Well, sort of. I turned off aquifers as a response to the game's dumb flux patterns. Not that it matters on this embark, anyways...

Glad to hear I should be okay here. I embarked and have been digging around in soil for about 50 minutes. I'm probably going to re-embark (I backed up the embark before I even did anything) on the same spot and pick a better site for my fort. I don't really like soil-layer forts at all, even at the start when it's quicker / better.

I plan to use the river for water by having it pump in to my cistern from all the way across the map. Cheap! Or maybe just Dwarfy. :p

@orius: Get this: there's visible obsidian above the magma spire, free for the taking. Inside that, I've spied some native gold, native copper, and some gems. I've also seen cinnabar, cobaltite, and some other stones/ores. There's a TON of white sand mixed in to the topsoil and I know there's at least two types of clay here.

@Loud Whispers: I'm still learning! I'd like to do a glacier fortress in a sinister region at some point. I think it would be really cool to do a sort of Siege of Avalon thing with a fortress like that. But um... I need to get expert at the game before I try to pull of something like that. :P

@saltmummy626: Yes, that's generally what I like, too. But the site finder is broken as far as flux goes and sometimes finding it on the map by hand is a bit of a bear.

EDIT: Strike the earth! Cudgelslides! (has been founded... again)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:08:56 am by ScratchtasticZ »

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 02:39:56 am »

This is getting off topic, but how do you guys generally prioritize tasks when you hit the embark site? Obviously things like food/water come first but I'm looking for something more specific. I'm boggling myself currently. -_-

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 02:50:21 am »

1) Plant gathering / cheese making
2) carve out some living space
3) Booze making
4) Strike the rock, construct some statues / mechanism
5) Set up garbage dumping zone and some perimeter defenses. Begin to use burrows
6) Some form of a quick wild animal slaughtering system.
7) Set up some forges, start kitting the militias
8) Wall up, siege up
9) Kill all goblins
10) Dine in hell
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 03:06:03 am »

Cheese? Psh. ...That may be a good idea.

My hunter and his dog are a little outmatched by the giant badger sows. :P

Of course, what you're taking about is a bit beyond my level of expertise. xD

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 05:51:28 am »

As you said, there are almost all types of ores and too many gold, so I suggest you dig deeper, and you may find marble.

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 07:09:23 am »

The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 02:03:43 pm »

The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Maybe I take this sentence as my signature? It has something... magical. And it's so true :D

Back to topic: As somebody already said, you're likely to hit marble deeper down anyways. I hit marble like... on every map? I just embarked in a shurbland/desert/savanna crossspot, and it showed me no flux. There are atleast 4 layers of marble deeper down. The only question is.... Do you have iron? I have none :D

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 03:28:23 pm »

@lcy03406: I actually do have marble. That's flux? I was unaware! I was excited when I found it just for the ability to add some white to the black interior of my fortress (and a new line of Cudgelslides Crafts, of course). Awesome, now I can stockpile it and be good to go. The Cudgelslides Forge will be open for business as soon as we complete the move to the new areas I'm carving out.

@Zaroua: I think I'll stick to metals. Last time I tried a hospital was due to a squished dwarf and her injured baby from a cave-in. :P

@Molay: I have hematite... which I think is iron, but my geology days from when I was little are failing me, so I'd have to hit the wiki.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 04:38:20 pm »

Hematite, magnetite and limonite are all the ores of iron you can find in DF. Learning is !FUN!

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 04:42:24 pm »

@Loud Whispers: I can make steel. :3

So, in essence, this embark is 100% flawless. Although I would like more flat ground...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5