Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Embark w/o Flux - Doable?  (Read 16720 times)

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark w/o Flux - Doable?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 09:55:11 pm »

And okay. Does the quality of the bar impact the quality of the finished product at all?

Bars have quality?

Loud Whispers said they do. I'm not sure. I can see it; mechanisms have quality, after all.

The wiki doesn't say that. I'm sure furnace operating only affects speed.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 09:58:05 pm »

I've seen bars with quality, though I might just be mistaken >_<

Too much time at the trade depot ;P
I'll look it up

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 10:01:48 pm »

@ayoriceball: I'll find out soon enough. Soon as I load up my fortress I have to deal with some elven traders and then focus on my move to the new fortress I'm digging out. One of the first things I'll be setting up are magma smelters, so I'll be able to see for sure once that's going.

@Loud Whispers: Maybe you're thinking of blocks? AND I KNOW. I spent like 30 minutes trading last night, and I'm sure that's on the lower end of time spent at the depot. Although I must say... this is probably the fortress with the highest amount of wealth produced in goods before the Mountainhome caravan that I've had. I bought all sorts of crap that I didn't even really need (plants, extra booze, another anvil, some picks, etc) and still had another bin of goods left over. Obsidian w/ gems for the win. :D

That's the gameplan for tonight, though. Elves and metal. :P

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 03:21:00 pm »

If this embark should turn out poorly, I'd recommend THIS ONE for your next excursion.

Sand, forest, brook, magma, mountain, soil... and flat, with one large mountain peak for an entrance. I love it.

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 04:30:22 pm »

That map. Tears to my eyes, running down my blubbering human face. ;_;

Kinda cheap using a map that is premade though. Like I mentioned previously, I went through like 20 worlds to find the one I'm currently using.

I'm hoping my current embark goes well but if not, I'd like to load up the one you linked just to poke around and see what's there. Thanks!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 02:47:16 am »

There's only one volcano on my current world map, but it's not a bad spot:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not a lot of ore variety there just some hematite and tetrahedrite (and candy).  So nothing fancy, just some basic iron and copper, with a chance of silver.  Unfortunately, there's no flux.  There's also plenty of sand.  It's a grasslands biome, so there's not a lot of trees either, but at least charcoal isn't needed.  I think I might put my next fort there.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 05:07:14 am »

That's not a bad amount of trees, really. You'd be okay for a little while. Map looks nice, actually. I miss having flat spaces. -_-

And you use Ironhand too! :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 10:55:49 am »

I don't even have copper on my map. I'm using captured weapons and armour I got from butchering my dogs :P

*inb4 a Titan kills all of my champion wrestlers

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2011, 12:17:22 pm »

@Loud Whispers: Wouldn't a Titan be a bit of a tough fight even if your dwarves had weapons? :p

One time I made an embark and played for a bit and this giant badger boar or whatever killed my hunter. This was annoying; it was like five minutes in. And the damn thing even got a name because of it. So I just threw all my remaining dwarves in to a squad and had them attack the giant badger boar. I was not overly surprised when the "wrestler squad" got destroyed piecemeal.

And that's how we get things done in my fortresses. All for one!

Cudgelslides has been more fortunate thus far. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »

@Loud Whispers: Wouldn't a Titan be a bit of a tough fight even if your dwarves had weapons? :p

I expect 3-7 to die by the Titans directly, syndromes could increase this a bit :P
It's really a good way to live without flux. Or any metals. Or weapons. 2nd year in, I have 43 soldiers, 28 of whom would be able to take down sieges, and 12 marksmen. Crossbow spam is brilliant (and a requirement for above ground forts - damn buzzards).

One time I made an embark and played for a bit and this giant badger boar or whatever killed my hunter. This was annoying; it was like five minutes in. And the damn thing even got a name because of it. So I just threw all my remaining dwarves in to a squad and had them attack the giant badger boar. I was not overly surprised when the "wrestler squad" got destroyed piecemeal.

Giant Badger boars can be scared away with dogs, just never engage them with untrained and unarmoured Dorfs :)

So yeah. No steel?

1. Recruit every useless migrant that arrives on your fortress into standard squads of 3 (and schedule for 2).
2. Reach a quota of recruiting above 50% of entire population.
3. Equip with whatever you can find.

?!?!?

4. Lotsa Dorfs are dead, but you now have a few elite supersoldiers.

Once you have pro. army up, recruit entire population. If all else really fails... Charge of the drunk brigade. (Over a hundred Dorfs charging a Titan is a beautiful sight in all of it's ASCII glory :P)

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 11:39:31 pm »

Well, I didn't really intend for that poor hunter to die, but he brought it on himself. :P

I think the toughest thing my hunter has fought this time around was a rhesus macaque. I like the Rhesus Pieces idea on the wiki. xD

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 12:00:00 am »

I expect 3-7 to die by the Titans directly, syndromes could increase this a bit :P
It's really a good way to live without flux. Or any metals. Or weapons. 2nd year in, I have 43 soldiers, 28 of whom would be able to take down sieges, and 12 marksmen. Crossbow spam is brilliant (and a requirement for above ground forts - damn buzzards).

Giant Badger boars can be scared away with dogs, just never engage them with untrained and unarmoured Dorfs :)

So yeah. No steel?

1. Recruit every useless migrant that arrives on your fortress into standard squads of 3 (and schedule for 2).
2. Reach a quota of recruiting above 50% of entire population.
3. Equip with whatever you can find.

?!?!?

4. Lotsa Dorfs are dead, but you now have a few elite supersoldiers.

Once you have pro. army up, recruit entire population. If all else really fails... Charge of the drunk brigade. (Over a hundred Dorfs charging a Titan is a beautiful sight in all of it's ASCII glory :P)
It kinda reminds me of how I ended my reign of a scession game waaay too early, except replace the titan with HFS ;) Only other funny thing was one of my soldiers fighting off an ambush and giving birth and throwing her baby at the ambush and killing a goblin with it (baby lived and became named Battle-Born) Got like novice misc. User for that epic throw  8)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2012, 12:25:38 am »

Ah the age old battle tactic; Dwarf Baby toss.

The only downside I can think of turning your entire fortress into a standing army is industry lag and if your army dies...

Everything dies :D

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2012, 02:35:06 am »

Baha, wow. That's some hilarious stuff. xD

EDIT: While I'm here, I just read that galena is lead/silver. Since galena (and lead) are very dense, does this make it good for making giant balls for weapon traps? Or other blunt weapons in general?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2012, 02:37:28 am »

Silver is the best non-moodable material for blunt weapons, so yeah ;P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5