Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Embark w/o Flux - Doable?  (Read 16647 times)

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark w/o Flux - Doable?
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 02:50:15 am »

Baha, wow. That's some hilarious stuff. xD

EDIT: While I'm here, I just read that galena is lead/silver. Since galena (and lead) are very dense, does this make it good for making giant balls for weapon traps? Or other blunt weapons in general?

Silver is great. Lead is not.

example;
Lead: [IMPACT_YIELD:35000]
Silver: [IMPACT_YIELD:350000]
Copper: [IMPACT_YIELD:245000]
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 03:18:50 am »

Odd. Is copper actually more dense than lead in real life? >_>

Regardless, thanks for the info. =]

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 04:39:16 am »

That's not a bad amount of trees, really. You'd be okay for a little while. Map looks nice, actually. I miss having flat spaces. -_-

And you use Ironhand too! :D

The trees aren't a big problem if you use the wood wisely.  And I suppose you could buy elf cloth if you really need bins badly.

Here's the info and stuff for the world:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Embark location:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2012, 11:51:32 am »

That's not density. That's impact yield. There's more to how weapons and armor work (you can see this in the raws for wood, metal, etc.). Even though lead is actually quite heavy, it's not good for weapons. Impact_Yield is mainly used for blunt attacks, which is why I posted it.

Just use all that crappy metal for furniture. :P
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2012, 12:27:51 pm »

You can live without flux. It's just difficult to import as many rocks and as much steel as you need.

A challenge is living without IRON. At least in ore form. Mine it from goblins and caravans. Import iron goods by the wagon-load, SCOUR the landscape for every last iron arrow. Steel becomes the most precious thing in the fortress. If a steel-clad champion falls in the magma moat, you get him the fuck out. Who cares if that takes a huge construction to transfer water over into the moat? THAT'S MASTERWORK STEEL ARMOUR! Have you any idea how much copper and bone went into training that smith? We'll be selling bone helms and turtle shell gauntlets for decades.
It's even more Fun if you have no trees, too. You're scrabbling to get logs from the caverns and from traders. Choose between beds for the migrants or charcoal for your limited amount of steel.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2012, 12:36:45 pm »

If you've got a volcano, you have the means to make an obsidian farm for infinite obsidian. Obsidian goods have a high value multiplier.

Yes, you can trade for flux. It won't come in very large quantities, but it will come. I've also successfully traded for steel and pig iron from the motherland, and since discovering how powerful glass serrated disc traps can be, I've traded for large quantities of sand.

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2012, 05:04:18 pm »

Well, it seems I have just about everything at my embark. I have marble. The site finder lied. :P I also have native gold, native silver, copper, iron, naturally-occuring obsidian, white sand, etc etc etc...

I really need to go play. Like now. -_-

Is it bad that I have post-it notes stuck to my PC tower reminding me what to do? ...

"DF
*Elven Caravan
*The Move ---> New Location"

:P

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2012, 05:08:09 pm »

That's not density. That's impact yield. There's more to how weapons and armor work (you can see this in the raws for wood, metal, etc.). Even though lead is actually quite heavy, it's not good for weapons. Impact_Yield is mainly used for blunt attacks, which is why I posted it.

But this makes no sense because a ball of copper and a ball of lead of equal volume... the lead would have the greater mass and thus have more force if swung at the same speeeeed!

Oh well, perhaps we can create lead crafts and sell them to the elves and hope they get POISONED.

EDIT: Double post because... well, because.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »

The copper would have the greater density, so the greater mass.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2012, 05:43:34 pm »

But this makes no sense because a ball of copper and a ball of lead of equal volume... the lead would have the greater mass and thus have more force if swung at the same speeeeed!

Oh well, perhaps we can create lead crafts and sell them to the elves and hope they get POISONED.

EDIT: Double post because... well, because.

There's more to it than that. Like shear yield and impact fracture and impact elasticity... which all add up to making silver better than lead. much better.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2012, 05:48:59 pm »

Lead is soft and would probably absorb its own impact.

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2012, 08:35:49 pm »

This is true, lead is a soft metal.

I like how all of this stuff is numerically categorized. :D

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 08:54:59 pm »

God, I learn new things everyday :o And whats the secret to bringing water to any source of lava (magma sea mostly) and making obsidian, cause I never manage to get water to reach there :-[ and I'm using a river!
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 09:19:23 pm »

God, I learn new things everyday :o And whats the secret to bringing water to any source of lava (magma sea mostly) and making obsidian, cause I never manage to get water to reach there :-[ and I'm using a river!

Floodgates.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »

Floodgates.
I swear, thats the awnser to all of the problems in DF :P Thanks!
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5