Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Available work order materials  (Read 1118 times)

sdp0et

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Available work order materials
« on: September 24, 2016, 06:58:10 pm »

I'm trying to set up a couple of work orders to keep wooden and steel bolts at certain levels.  I can specify based on the number of bolts for wood, but only with specific wood types and not generic wood.  For the steel ones, there is no selectable material for steel.  Am I missing something or is there no way to do what I want?

On a similar note, there is no material for obsidian. Are some materials just not available for order conditions?
sdp0et has been stressed lately. He was been accosted by work recently. He has been annoyed by coworkers. He admired a wonderful bed today. He admired a wonderful woman today.  He needs Coca-Cola to get through the working day.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Available work order materials
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 08:16:16 pm »

For steel bolts, you need to select "Forge steel bolts".  It's not a designated material; it's a different job.  For wood, if you just want whatever wood then specify "Make wooden bolts" and don't designate a material.  If you want to make it out of some wood and not others, then unfortunately you have to designate different jobs for it.

Let's say you want to make willow bolts and then when you run out of willow, to make cherry wood bolts.  You need to queue 2 jobs and designate one willow and the other cherry wood.  Prioritise the willow over the cherry and restrict bolt making to a specific workshop.  The thing that won't work is that you can only set the limit on either the specific bolts of that material *or* bolts in general.  So I think the only way to do it is to prioritise steel bolts over wooden bolts.

The way you do  it is set the condition for steel bolts to at most X.  Then add a condition to both wooden bolt jobs that say *at least* X steel bolts and *at most* X+Y bolts (where Y is the number of wooden bolts you want).  This is all a PITA and I can only think of a few specific instances where it might be necessary, in which case I think I would forgo wooden bolts ;-)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Available work order materials
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:55:20 am »

Use the "Plant items" trait for checking the amount of generic wood bolts on hand.

Important to note that claimed bolts aren't counted for manager quantity. Set the value to the amount of spare, unclaimed bolts you want lying around.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:05:26 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?