Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Richness of Stories  (Read 19171 times)

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
The Richness of Stories
« on: December 29, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »

So I wanted to share with you an experience I had that really speaks of the immense power to create unique stories that the proceedural nature of this game actually has. I'll tell you the dry facts first, and the story that can be constructed from it.

My fortress, Mebast ("Inchsabres") is ruled by Duke Onul Itonottan, who was the leader of the original expedition that founded this fortress almost twenty-five years ago. In addition to being Duke, he's also the record keeper, work manager and trader for the fortress - and he's excellent at all of these jobs, his skill in them truly legendary. Even an injury that robbed him of the use of his legs hasn't stopped him from carrying them out. He has a tragic family life - his wife and four of his eight children are dead. Most of those he also considered good friends are long dead as well - the only remaining friend not buried is another veteran of the original expedition, a carpenter by the name of Sodel Sheshekzuglar. He has passing acquaintance with a large number of the fortress' dwarves, but no other close relationships. He does, however, have one listed grudge - Inod Zasitkalur, the fortress' mayor.

Inod Zasitkalur is a story both frighteningly similar and yet completely different - he arrived with a wave of migrants a few years after the fortress was built. His wife is also dead, but she left him with no less than eighteen children, seventeen of which survive. He has no skills of any particular practical application and contributes nothing to the prosperity of the fortress, but is a master of social interaction, having all his social skills at the "High Master" level. He has many friends, and even more acquaintances throughout the fortress. He holds two grudges - Duke Onul Itonottan and the carpenter Sodel Sheshekzuglar.

Duke Onul Itonottan's production mandates are usually for medical equipment or materials for steel production. Mayor Inod Zasitkalur's production mandates are usually for luxury goods such as clothes or goblets.

That's the simple facts - but what's the story behind them? I think it's fairly obvious - the Duke is a cold, distant man, made bitter and morose by his injuries and the loss of much of his family. He holds his position as duke because it's a noble title and he can't be legally unseated, but he does his best to make himself worthy of it. He works for the good of the fortress, his mandates related to making sure the fortress' industry remains stable and the hospital has enough equipment. He has only one real confidant - his old friend Sodel, who remembers the good old days as clearly as he does. He can see the danger the ambitious but incompetent mayor poses to the fortress, and so can Sodel.

The mayor's a scheming, ambitious, manipulative, power-hungry toad who's got a clever tongue. His massive clan and his circle of friends gives him great power with the common people of Mebast, and they've chosen him mayor every time the issue of candidacy for the position has come up. In his mind he dreams himself the ruler of Mebast and inheritor to all its wealth and power - but the Duke is in his way, and so is his loyalist, Sodel. Perhaps he dreams of the day he can usurp the Duke, but should that day come, there may be a problem. He has no skill or talent outside of his charisma and charm. He's very good at getting people on his side, but he's never commanded them, never lead them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Richness of Stories
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:21:47 pm »

It's people like you that dwarf fortress lasts the longest for.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:29:23 pm »

Would be a shame if the mayor accidentally fell down mining shaft#09

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:37:38 pm »

It sounds like the Mayor is first going to attempt to arrange a !!!FUN!!! accident for the acting Duke.  However, due to his ineptness, poor Sodel dies in his stead.  After that an exciting chase culminates in both the Duke and the Mayor finding themselves in a labyrinth filled with all kinds of vile creatures.  Maybe they start by killing worthless elves, but then must face against titans or FBs.  Whichever emerges inherits both the respect and command of the civilization.  However if both perish, then this once noble fort will be plunged into a bitter cycle of byzantine power games.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:07:45 pm »

Goddamn, I love a good story. And all the info you complied about your dwarves would no doubt make an amazing tale.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:51:06 pm »

It sounds like the Mayor is first going to attempt to arrange a !!!FUN!!! accident for the acting Duke.  However, due to his ineptness, poor Sodel dies in his stead.  After that an exciting chase culminates in both the Duke and the Mayor finding themselves in a labyrinth filled with all kinds of vile creatures.  Maybe they start by killing worthless elves, but then must face against titans or FBs.  Whichever emerges inherits both the respect and command of the civilization.  However if both perish, then this once noble fort will be plunged into a bitter cycle of byzantine power games.

The problem with this is that neither of them are warriors.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »

The problem with this is that neither of them are warriors.
Give them basic weapons and have them spar with your military.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:14:02 pm »

This is how I've always felt about DF.  It's like playing a novel, if you so choose.  You can just throw your dwarves at the goblins and chuckle as they send parts sailing off in arcs, then die horribly to be replaced by another faceless dwarf.

Or you can follow their lives and be pretty impressed how deep it can get.  A little reading between the lines goes a tremendous distance in DF.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 04:33:43 pm »

So have I been one of the few who's been obsessively following the lives of each individual drunken samurai? -.-

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 05:07:15 pm »

Or you can follow their lives and be pretty impressed how deep it can get.  A little reading between the lines goes a tremendous distance in DF.

Its almost a game of sort to peice together a familys history in Legends. :P
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 07:06:26 pm »

I do have a danger room actually. It's never caused a single injury to a military dwarf (except when I used it to get rid of a tragic accident befell my ex-sheriff who despite being dismissed from his post continued arresting people) so if I really wanted I could powerlevel them to superbadass in a matter of months. However, like I said, the Duke is a cripple who can't use either of his legs.

Actually, I initially wanted to make a thread about that. You see, another member of the original seven, Limul Kacothral the farmer, was also a member of the militia. He had his lower spine broken by a goblin warhammer, but continued to serve as the fortress' most efficient farmer despite his inability to walk or run and as part of the standing militia despite his inability to stand. He - as far as I can tell - did his farmwork while hauling himself around on his hands (which, incidentally, still clasped the battleaxe and shield he'd been issued with on his first day of training). He would do this, periodically changing his armour when a new, better version of it came out - including the greaves and boots on his useless legs. The Duke was injured in a fairly similar incident (it involved a sword rather than a warhammer, though) and lost the use of his legs. They were close friends - I actually pictured them hauling themselves around on their hands and briefly stopping to high-five each other as they passed. Eventually I put Limul Kacothral into his own squad and sent him out to face a goblin siege alone - one last show of defiance from a dwarf unwilling to allow his injuries to dictate his life. His death robbed the fortress of another one of its oldest veterans and the Duke of one of his few remaining friends. Limul was one of the most heroic cripples I've ever seen and I actually deeply regret killing him off that way - but I like to think he's in a better place now.

I noticed that Sodel wasn't the Militia Commander - that honour went to a dwarf named Udil Tathatoslan (I should note that both Sodel and Udil have very long titles as both have more than twenty kills between them, most of them named creatures, but for the sake of brevity I've avoided writing them down) whereas I figured it would make more sense for Sodel to be the Commander (Sodel's had more kills anyway).

Research in legends indicates that the reason no monarch turned up is because Bubnuscatten was essentially dead due to "gloom creatures" about fifty-five years before the fortress was even founded - no historical figures or noteworthy events happen between the starvation of its last king Onul Romlamcerol and the last vestiges of his court in the mountain halls of Kikrostdeg in 198. I noticed that in the export, several monarchs were succeeded by other dwarves but not listed as dead - digging a little deeper, I discovered that several of their queens had been abducted and transformed by gloom creatures - some of them are still alive to this day. This leads to rather unpleasant implications as to exactly where these caravans are coming from - and who the outpost liason who I see every year is actually working for.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »

Wow, this is great! I never thought of just how much story there was behind these forts!

...Maybe it's because my longest one lasted 2 years and that I usually die because some !%#hole a very, very, of a herd of skeletal yak bulls or a skeletal giant eagle decides to see what populates the curious hole in the ground.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 11:35:35 pm »

Awesome story, I really feel sometimes that DF has a bit of a storytelling aspect to it.

To be perfectly honest, when I started my current fort, I really came to dislike my Planter dwarf. He's lazy. I'm not sure if this is part of his personality, or just a fluke, but I swear, he's a lazy sonofabitch. He practically does nothing, while still demanding that I build him an office (he's the manager). I think I've been playing too long.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 11:37:23 pm »

Perhaps the main difference between how I see DF, and how You do, is that I tend to read less into the Individual Dorfs, and more into the overall Story being told. :)
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 12:09:48 am »

Its almost a game of sort to peice together a familys history in Legends. :P

Indeed it is! Recently, in adventure mode, I met my first drunk in all of .31.xx. She was also ardently religious - in the entire city, she was the only one who would always end statements with "Praise victory" or "fire" or whatever. Of course, we both got horribly mutilated by a group of bandits, but (being curious about her history) I checked up on her legends entry. She worshiped a whole slew of megabeasts, but get this: she came from a large (10+) family, and every single other member of it (parents included) had been slaughtered by one of the megabeasts that she worshiped.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.
Pages: [1] 2 3