Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 697614 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10635 on: January 04, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »

Can you explain that graph'?

Also, what's the Fed is doing is essentially printing money. Strangely, inflation is constant and low. If/when inflation goes up, we can stop rpinting money, in the meantime it's a good way to boost the economy.

It's not strange, it's what mainstream economics has been told us would happen in these circumstances for 70 years now.

Also GJ is full of crap.  If his story was true then interest rates would spike every time the Fed slowed it's purchases, which doesn't happen.

Hey Great Justice, I'll make you a bet.  I'll be that three years from now the Interest Rate on one year US t-notes still will not have passed 10%.  That is a very low bar to set for the hyperinflation you predict.  I'll offer you a bet of up to $100, given to a third party to keep track of in the mean time.

Is that a hyperinflation adjusted $100? if so, his bet doesn't have a very good return on his investment if he wins.
I'd suggest betting over a case of beer. Hell, I'll even cover shipping if that's an issue ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: January 04, 2013, 07:57:17 pm »

And to think I was going to show up with an argument this morning.  I'm not going to comment on the content of the last few pages, as it's mostly the same boilerplate argument about short term spending versus long term debt.

I will say that I will be convinced to lock this thread if it gets heated and personal.  I'm not actually that diplomatic myself.  I think people should on occasion be attacked along with ideas, because it's rather rare for someone to espouse an idea they do not believe absolute.  I do think that people who espouse things that are objectively and demonstrably untrue should be called liars or idiots until they stop espousing those things.

However, I am apathetic, and far more importantly I don't own this forum, so keep that crap to a minimum.  Without a specific topic to discuss, I think I will probably will lock this thread in the near future.

That being said, it's not like there aren't specific topics out there.  Certainly there's a good swath of Congress that's acting like the 2012 election didn't really happen yet, so the arguments therein are still powering on.  And speaking of first days of new sessions, the rules for the Senate filibuster will be coming up for review on January 22nd.  Given that the Republican minority of the last six years launched more filibusters than the 214 years before them, up to and including the minority leader blocking his own bill, I'd bet safe money that the rules are going to change for the first time in over a generation.

Like, actually making it work the way people think it does where the guy doing the filibustering has to stand the podium talking for as long as he wants to a hold a bill, instead of the current way it works where one guy anonymously says he wants to filibuster and then everything stops until it passes a 60% vote.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: January 05, 2013, 04:12:00 am »

I'd like to see things go back to the old-school read from the phonebook fillibuster. It would happen much less often.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: January 05, 2013, 04:12:50 am »

Actually Troll, I'm going to call BS on your argument that rasing taxes depress the economy so lower the revenues. It's not at all what your graph shows. It just doesn't make sense that you can't tax more than 20% of GDP. If you set the tax rate to 100%, you're going to get 100% of GDP. Okay, maybe the economy will crash and this 100% of GDP will be less than the current 20% of GDP. But that's not what you're claiming.

Your graph only account for federal government revenues too. Including state and local government show that revenue can and indeed did raise since 1943. The large bump in 1943-1944 itself is an exemple that the federal government revenue can raise if need be.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: January 05, 2013, 08:57:53 am »

I do think that people who espouse things that are objectively and demonstrably untrue should be called liars or idiots until they stop espousing those things
Yeah, people like Socrates and Gallileo, for example. What idiots. Make them drink hemlock because they're liars. If they have the nerve to publish a book, burn the books, too. Our objective truth is objective. It's objective because we said it's objective.

Actually Troll, I'm going to call BS on your argument that rasing taxes depress the economy so lower the revenues. It's not at all what your graph shows. It just doesn't make sense that you can't tax more than 20% of GDP. If you set the tax rate to 100%, you're going to get 100% of GDP. Okay, maybe the economy will crash and this 100% of GDP will be less than the current 20% of GDP. But that's not what you're claiming.

Well, at least you do recognize that a 100% tax would cause a massive crash. But there's still some lessons to be learned. You won't understand economics, until you understand that no tax system ever gets 100% of GDP even in your crash scenario. Economies are not just a bunch of abstract numbers. Economies are people, you know. We aren't machines that you can set at a certain speed. The USSR tried to get 100% of production under state control, and it had a thriving underground economy. From the article, "In a way, this is the real economy, and it touches all of us, every day of our lives,'' said Yuri Shchekoshikin, a deputy in the national legislature.

If you can read that article and tell me that you still think 100% of production can get taxed anywhere, then we can agree that your worldview simply will never mesh with my worldview. The reason why you aren't getting more than 20% is because people feel that they've given enough at that level, and they either stop doing as much production, or they find things to produce that aren't on the government radar. Usually both.

Your graph only account for federal government revenues too. Including state and local government show that revenue can and indeed did raise since 1943. The large bump in 1943-1944 itself is an exemple that the federal government revenue can raise if need be.

That doesn't square with the BLS data, on the website that you've already linked. Even the federal data for 1944-45 is different. I prefer to stick with federal tax revenue from the BLS website, because those have good data collection. There are 89,000 local governments in America. Those local revenues are all estimates, you realize? Change the assumptions in the estimates over decades, and the data of the estimates change with the assumptions.

Nevertheless. Want to ask yourself why revenues were high in 1999 and 2007? Was it the higher tax rates? You'd get away with that argument in 1999 before the Bush tax cuts, but why was there a fall in revenues before the tax cuts actually took effect? Oh, the economy melted in the Tech Bubble. What about 2007? No tax raises came before the highest revenues ever. It was simply a period of sustained growth. Then, tax revenue fell because of the Housing Bubble. This chart also proves your assumptions wrong. The revenues here don't match the tax rate levels. They match periods of extended prosperity.

The tax rates don't matter much.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: January 05, 2013, 09:28:54 am »

Yeah, people like Socrates and Gallileo, for example.
hahahahahaha

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: January 05, 2013, 10:29:23 am »

Here's another good example of an underground market. Some towns in Greece have begun doing local commerce in a new currency called the Tem. It's a good way to get around the stiff taxes and fees, which aren't even close to 100% of GDP yet, but they're high enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RI38zFz9WTM

When people stop believing in the government institutions, they create their own.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: January 05, 2013, 10:53:27 am »

This is so ripe for mocking and here I've gone and promised not to argue on these boards.  :(
It's gonna be a long three years.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: January 05, 2013, 11:12:31 am »

I do think that people who espouse things that are objectively and demonstrably untrue should be called liars or idiots until they stop espousing those things
Yeah, people like Socrates and Gallileo, for example. What idiots. Make them drink hemlock because they're liars. If they have the nerve to publish a book, burn the books, too. Our objective truth is objective. It's objective because we said it's objective.

Yes, do compare your poor old embattled ideas about whether top marginal incomes should be taxed at 35% or 39% to the argument of whether the sun revolves around the Earth.  I take words like "objective" and "demonstrable" quite seriously thank you.  Which leads me to a question.

Want to ask yourself why revenues were high in 1999 and 2007? Was it the higher tax rates? You'd get away with that argument in 1999 before the Bush tax cuts, but why was there a fall in revenues before the tax cuts actually took effect? Oh, the economy melted in the Tech Bubble. What about 2007? No tax raises came before the highest revenues ever. It was simply a period of sustained growth. Then, tax revenue fell because of the Housing Bubble. This chart also proves your assumptions wrong. The revenues here don't match the tax rate levels. They match periods of extended prosperity.

I like how you point out that higher tax rates would have contributed to higher government revenue in 1999, and then say that taxes rates don't matter because a decade of bubble growth later tax revenue happened to surpass what it was under a higher rate.  Would it not then follow that if tax rates had been the same in 2007 as they were in 1999, that 2007 revenue would have been even higher?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: January 05, 2013, 01:04:54 pm »

I do think that people who espouse things that are Yes, do compare your poor old embattled ideas about whether top marginal incomes should be taxed at 35% or 39% to the argument of whether the sun revolves around the Earth.  I take words like "objective" and "demonstrable" quite seriously thank you.  Which leads me to a question.

No, it has nothing to do with one particular issue being discussed. It's my distaste for your proposed solution to disagreement, regardless of the issues involved.

I find your remarks advocating mean-spirited debate highly objectionable. You should never assume that you know the objective truth. And then to use that false perception of yourself as omniscient to give yourself permission to debate in ways that many more discerning debaters than you throughout history have avoided from a sense of mere decency alone: that is the substance of my objections. Not this piddly matter of the tax rates.

Want to ask yourself why revenues were high in 1999 and 2007? Was it the higher tax rates? You'd get away with that argument in 1999 before the Bush tax cuts, but why was there a fall in revenues before the tax cuts actually took effect? Oh, the economy melted in the Tech Bubble. What about 2007? No tax raises came before the highest revenues ever. It was simply a period of sustained growth. Then, tax revenue fell because of the Housing Bubble. This chart also proves your assumptions wrong. The revenues here don't match the tax rate levels. They match periods of extended prosperity.

I like how you point out that higher tax rates would have contributed to higher government revenue in 1999

Would have? The tax rates were higher in 1999. Tax revenues had been ramping up for most of the decade under the same tax rates. The amount of revenue coming in ramps up during sustained periods of growth. That's objectively true. The tax rates weren't changing as tax revenues increased as a ratio of GDP. The economy broke in mid-2000 in this thing called the Tech Bubble. The tax receipts went down for 2001. He might be tempted to say the tax cuts did all of that, but the same steep drop in tax revenues happened in 2008 when no tax cuts at all were made, therefore it's a shaky claim. 2008 proves that 2001 was due more to the Tech Bubble--which was a huge deal, btw, if you can't remember that far back.

Frankly, I don't even understand what you're claiming I said, or how it makes some kind of point for you. You're telling me what I said; and objectively, it's not the same as what I actually wrote. That's verifiable by comparing the two paragraphs. So under your rules, we call you an idiot and a liar, right? Oh, wait, it's your objective truth that matters, not anyone else's objective truth. Gotcha.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: January 05, 2013, 01:26:35 pm »

Well, you really do have a gift for letting the parts that disturb you drop. Okay, there is tons of local government. But state revenues also rose, and there is only 50 of them, for which data is reliably available. So explain that raise in the level of revenue that apparently cannot raise at all.

And yes, economic boom raise revenues and bust lower it. That's not the point. Actually, it destroy your previous argument that revenue where stable at 20% of GDP.

So please come back when you have a consistant worldview based on facts rather than just dismissing stuff that you don't like and acting inconsistant like a goddamn climate denier (or any other kind of reality denier actually).

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: January 05, 2013, 01:41:56 pm »

I like how you point out that higher tax rates would have contributed to higher government revenue in 1999

Would have? The tax rates were higher in 1999. Tax revenues had been ramping up for most of the decade under the same tax rates. The amount of revenue coming in ramps up during sustained periods of growth. That's objectively true. The tax rates weren't changing as tax revenues increased as a ratio of GDP. The economy broke in mid-2000 in this thing called the Tech Bubble. The tax receipts went down for 2001. He might be tempted to say the tax cuts did all of that, but the same steep drop in tax revenues happened in 2008 when no tax cuts at all were made, therefore it's a shaky claim. 2008 proves that 2001 was due more to the Tech Bubble--which was a huge deal, btw, if you can't remember that far back.

Frankly, I don't even understand what you're claiming I said, or how it makes some kind of point for you. You're telling me what I said; and objectively, it's not the same as what I actually wrote. That's verifiable by comparing the two paragraphs. So under your rules, we call you an idiot and a liar, right? Oh, wait, it's your objective truth that matters, not anyone else's objective truth. Gotcha.

Okay, first I specifically said that I didn't want any personal crap like that in this thread, because I don't make the rules on this forum.  Second, holy Hell are you taking this shit personally and seem to have some caustic idea of what 'objective' means.  And third and most importantly, you could bone up a little on some reading comprehension.  Let's review.

Tax revenue was high in 1999, low after 2001, high again in 2007, low after that.  The economy was booming in 1999, low after 2001, high again in 2007, low after that.  Taxes were high in 1999, low after that.  None of that is in dispute, and yes I was also alive ten years ago.

You made statements there that I'm wondering how you reconcile: "Want to ask yourself why revenues were high in 1999 and 2007? Was it the higher tax rates? You'd get away with that argument in 1999 before the Bush tax cuts..." and "The tax rates don't matter much."  I'm asking, would it not then follow that if tax rates were the same in 2007 as they were in 1999, two points when the economy was booming, that the tax revenue in 2007 would have been a lot higher?

And if so, does that not then mean that tax rates do in fact matter?

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: January 05, 2013, 03:41:27 pm »

I apologize, if you didn't mean "objective" as a codeword for "I disagree with this" but that is usually the case with most people. Given the known slant here, sometimes I get a persecution complex, heh. Anyway, I think "liar" and "idiot" should be used sparingly, because it takes a long time to really understand other viewpoints. Particularly when the topics are complicated.

You made statements there that I'm wondering how you reconcile: "Want to ask yourself why revenues were high in 1999 and 2007? Was it the higher tax rates? You'd get away with that argument in 1999 before the Bush tax cuts..." and "The tax rates don't matter much."  I'm asking, would it not then follow that if tax rates were the same in 2007 as they were in 1999, two points when the economy was booming, that the tax revenue in 2007 would have been a lot higher?

Since 1945, we've never breached 20% by more than mere decimals, and never more than one year at a time. You could say that we might have done it in 2007 without the Bush tax cuts, but that's a hypothetical that can't be known. What we do know is that it hasn't happened before. Tax rates have been raised without increases in actual revenues, like in 1990 and again later in the 90s, but we've never seen sustained tax revenues over 20% of GDP under any tax policy for 85 years of data.

You could say "this time is different" but on what strength would it be different this time? Tax rates have been much higher historically, and the revenues were always the same percentage.

Well, you really do have a gift for letting the parts that disturb you drop. Okay, there is tons of local government. But state revenues also rose, and there is only 50 of them, for which data is reliably available. So explain that raise in the level of revenue that apparently cannot raise at all.

One state taxes this way; another taxes that way. Seven states have no income tax at all. Right now. Further back in history? I don't even know the historical tax policies, and neither do you, and neither does anyone here. You give me an impossible task and then jeer at me when I can't do it. Obviously, though, if states choose low tax policies, they get low taxes. Over time, more states have become centralised and demanded more taxes.

State and local governments are lower to the ground, so they have many means of raising revenue that the federal government cannot do. When a local or state policeman stops a speeding driver, that's state and local revenue. So shall we put federal FBI agents on the highways to make the same revenues for the federal government that state and local governments can make with their police? The federal government isn't close enough to ground level to implement many of the local revenue strategies.

You are asking me to compare your apples to my orange. That's why I pass over this.

And yes, economic boom raise revenues and bust lower it. That's not the point. Actually, it destroy your previous argument that revenue where stable at 20% of GDP.

No. Not revenues, Sheb. Revenues as a percentage of GDP. That's a key difference. That revenues should increase in an economic boom is obvious because the economy is larger. Half of a barrel is a bit more than half of a teaspoon. Obviously. However, the observation that revenues as a percentage of GDP should also increase is not something that you can airily pass over as obvious. It isn't obvious, and I'm not sure that you even understand yet.

If you set a tax at a certain rate, then in your thinking, you get that rate, right? So in any economic conditions, you might have higher or lower revenues, but you'll always have the same percentage that you set. Nope. That's not the data. The tax rates don't fix the amount of the pie that the government gets. That is the objective data in the the charts and spreadsheets. Prosperity sets the percentages, not the nominal tax rates.

Percentages.

Actually, it destroy your previous argument that revenue where stable at 20% of GDP.  So please come back when you have a consistant worldview based on facts rather than just dismissing stuff that you don't like and acting inconsistant like a goddamn climate denier (or any other kind of reality denier actually).

Hi. I'm back.

And I'm here to tell you that claiming I said the tax revenues had to be stable at exactly 20% is merely convenient horseshit. When I said there's a cap around 20%, I used words like "around" and "approximately" on purpose. I meant there's an empirical cap in the data from what we can see over 85 years of records, which is a good length to have data. I did not say that it was an immutable law of nature.

Use common sense. I show a chart where there's clearly variation, and even small points where it breaks 20% just barely, and then I say there's a cap around 20% of GDP. Now you claim that I said that the revenues are always 20% and never 19.9% or 20.1%. Does that seem an honest summary of what I've been saying?

You want to end this discussion, and you want to do so while declaring your victory in order to feel good. Fine! You win. But don't put words into my mouth while doing so.

In closing, let this be noted. Right now the tax revenues are around 15%. Historically, there's a lot of upward movement possible: at least another 5% is historically possible. You could get as much as $800 billion more dollars out of the economy. But tax rates won't do it. We need prosperity. Prosperity sets the percentage. You just can't point to a tax raise that has managed to change the revenues as a percentage of GDP.

The earth may not move around the sun... and yet it moves!  :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:52:23 pm by Trollheiming »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: January 05, 2013, 05:53:31 pm »

We need prosperity. Prosperity sets the percentage.

And this is what I don't get.  We have prosperity.  We have shitloads of resources going to waste.  Necessary stuff like food and shelter.  We have at least 3x more empty homes than homeless people.  How is that not prosperity?  But apparently we have to be prosperous before we can be prosperous?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: January 05, 2013, 06:16:10 pm »

Okay. WTF.

1) Your 20% of GDP aren't only income tax either. It's mostly corporate tax, income tax and payroll tax but mixed with a bunch of other things. So please apply the same standard to your numbers that you apply to mine.

2) See above. It's not only income tax, but a whole loads of tax put together. My guess would be it's because people and corporation and stuff earn more and move in higher tax brackets. I must say it seemed much more evident then, dunno why.

3) Since you suddenly seemed to understnad the difference between % of GDP and obsolute revenue, why did you claim several time that a reduction in output would lower revenue as a percentage of GDP? It would lower GDP alright, but that's it.

4) Your graph witht the 20% stuff is pure, refined shit. It's an aggreggate of revenue that you compare to the top tax rate, which is paid by a tiny % of household. It actually be surprising if there was any correlation.

Now, let's use some real data. Here is the revenue from personnal income tax over the years.

It's in % of GDP and the date come from the whitehouse website page I linked earlier.

Now, look at this.

Corporate revenues. They've been freefalling since the 40's. That's money we can tax. And don't get me started on the carbon tax.

P.S. If you want to redo your graph with the rate and income properly, here are all the tax rates for all the bracket since 1913. Have fun!

Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 714