Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 724855 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2100 on: February 19, 2012, 09:42:01 pm »

So, how 'bout ABORTION?

I'm sorry Aqizzar. I have poor judgement.

But anyway, what is all this shit about the winner of Michigan (IIRC) winning the nomination? Is that just more of the BS that claimed Gingrich was going to win back in Florida?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: February 19, 2012, 09:46:22 pm »

So, how 'bout ABORTION?

I'm sorry Aqizzar. I have poor judgement.

Y'know what, as long as people don't take it as an opportunity to grandstand about what they think of the morality of abortion, yes, you can talk about it.  It is a driving issue for quite a few voters, after all.

But anyway, what is all this shit about the winner of Michigan (IIRC) winning the nomination? Is that just more of the BS that claimed Gingrich was going to win back in Florida?

Basically, Romney's strongest (and fundamentally only pillar) for being the Republican nominee is that he has the best chance of winning an election against Barack Obama.  He's from Michigan (among other places), his dad was the governor there, it's supposed to be an "economic" state and he's supposed to be the "economic" candidate, and he has the freedom to spend exponentially more money there than any other candidate.

Ergo, if he manages to lose Michigan, and lose to Rick Santorum of all people, the movers and shakers of the Republican party will be obligated to look at Romney and ask if he's really capable of winning a national election, especially when the most likely Republicans to show up and vote in the general election don't seem to want him.  By plurality anyway.

Really, yes, it's all hot air, and there's a shitload more votes to go, which could easily go roaring to Romney anyway.  A lot of it sounds like it does in reporting, because journalists are terrified of Romney locking up the nomination this early, because holy shit would that be a boring rest of the year without a real Presidential fight going on.  Or it would effectively mean the general election would start right now, which would be utterly depressing and inane.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:48:15 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: February 19, 2012, 09:57:01 pm »

If the presidential election started now we wouldn't need anymore stimulus...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: February 19, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »

Santorum is headed to somewhere near my hometown soon. I'm seriously thinking about attending the rally. To heckle him. In the mouth. With my fist.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2104 on: February 19, 2012, 11:14:05 pm »

Santorum is headed to somewhere near my hometown soon. I'm seriously thinking about attending the rally. To heckle him. In the mouth. With my fist.

You can try to find out if he is good as Bush was at playing dodge shoe...

But these days, speaking out against a republican candidate WILL get you arrested, and being in the wrong place near one will get you tazed or a broken foot, they would probably shoot you for throwing a punch or a shoe.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:11 pm »

Point of order: Can we not encourage physical violence against politicians we disagree with in this thread? Thanks.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2106 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:34 pm »

I wasn't actually advocating violence, more like advocating against it in a round about way.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: February 19, 2012, 11:19:30 pm »

Point of order: Can we not encourage physical violence against politicians we disagree with in this thread? Thanks.

+1
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: February 19, 2012, 11:43:51 pm »

Good plan. Besides, teeth are hard. The groin and kidneys are much better targets.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: February 19, 2012, 11:50:42 pm »

While I know you are being humorous, I don't think the humor is in good taste given the direction of american politics in recent years.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08:45 am »

Hey, you could join in with those other folks in throwing glitter at him. I hear it's all the rage.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: February 20, 2012, 12:09:27 am »

Glitter, this country needs more glitter.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: February 20, 2012, 12:47:07 am »

Pies go well, nothing wrong with a bit of cream pie on the head to make a political point.

Though I do think its a bit sad that making a joke about slapping a politician in the kisser isnt a good idea.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: February 20, 2012, 01:48:59 am »

Has there ever been a point in this nations history when it was a good idea?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: February 20, 2012, 02:28:36 am »

Yeah, what Aqizzar said. This is the Election thread, not the "What's fucked up with America?" thread. Which would need a computer the size of the Earth to properly hold it all.

So, we're all mostly familiar with the line of "reasoning" among some evangelical Protestants that the Catholics aren't really Christians, right?
Well, now we have a speech dredged up from 2008 where Rick Santorum is basically saying the opposite at a lecture at a Catholic university: that American Protestants are "gone from the world of Christianity".

Be interesting to see if this gets much play from his rivals. Nothing like a little old-school sectarian warfare to liven things up. They gonna party like its 1629!

I suppose that is what is fucked up with America, the focus on such non-issues. 

I guess congress not having passed a budget in over 1000 days is not important.  I suppose that government now being the sole lender of post-secondary financial aid is also a non-issue.  PPACA?  All good.  Fast and Furious?  Nope.  All that money squandered on green energy?  Just tax rich people more.  Shitty economy that hasn't done anything in 3 years?  Gonna need another term to fix it.  Education system that is broken and in need of an overhaul?  Throw more money at it. 

Oh, right.. I suppose a candidates religious beliefs are a good indicator of how well he run the country.
It's not that they're not important, it's that this thread is not the place for that discussion. From the OP:
And yes, I know this is a politics thread, but let's try to have too many policy arguments, okay?  It's inevitable, but I'd like to keep everything civil here, and the horserace of electioneering is more than enough to keep everyone entertained without a firestorm of pointless ideological debates.

Might I suggest the progressive rage/annoyance thread, if you're so inclined? (although I gather you'd be more annoyed at the progressives there than what they're annoyed at)

Thanks for pointing that out :)

Slapping a politician is out of the question.  So just toss a nice pie in their face.  Just make sure it's not someone named John Cretien!
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 714