Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 699923 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2415 on: February 25, 2012, 11:54:08 pm »

Of course, it was a satirical effort to shock the upper class about their heartless attitudes towards the poor.

Newt Gingrich’s modest proposal is for poor kids to work as junior janitors. He wasn’t kidding.

Hint: You're doing it wrong, Newt. :P

What's wrong with kids sweeping floors in their schools?

That's straight up 'civic virtue' as liberals are supposed to love that sort of thing. Is it because a fat ugly Republican guy brought it up?

No. Because it is forced child labor. Full stop.

Like requiring students to preform 40 hours of "community involvement" if they wish to graduate highschool?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: February 25, 2012, 11:56:27 pm »

Of course, it was a satirical effort to shock the upper class about their heartless attitudes towards the poor.

Newt Gingrich’s modest proposal is for poor kids to work as junior janitors. He wasn’t kidding.

Hint: You're doing it wrong, Newt. :P

What's wrong with kids sweeping floors in their schools?

That's straight up 'civic virtue' as liberals are supposed to love that sort of thing. Is it because a fat ugly Republican guy brought it up?

No. Because it is forced child labor. Full stop.

Like requiring students to preform 40 hours of "community involvement" if they wish to graduate highschool?
Eh? I never had to do that, and neither have my relatives. What state is this?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: February 26, 2012, 12:03:18 am »

Ontario in Canada. I thought it was fucking dumb, but everyone seems to think it is a wonderful idea.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: February 26, 2012, 12:27:45 am »

Mind you, I would consider "spend 40 hours doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING (your choice) to benefit to the community you live in" and "do this specific job so we don't have to pay an adult to do it" to be qualitatively different things.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: February 26, 2012, 01:10:11 am »

Mind you, I would consider "spend 40 hours doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING (your choice) to benefit to the community you live in" and "do this specific job so we don't have to pay an adult to do it" to be qualitatively different things.

This. Pretty much every academic association, etc. I've seen, both in high school and at university, requires some arbitrary number of hours of community service/volunteer work to "round out your life experience" and such. Let me say from experience that a couple hours a week of volunteer work (often at a rather cushy location where you don't have much to do beyond sitting around, occasionally answering phones and sweeping up) is very different from even a part time job in a fast food joint or retail location, much less 40 hours/week of manual labor. I'm not opposed to high school age kids having jobs (hell, I think it's a good thing, earning some income and getting a taste of some sort of responsibility and work ethic), but it shouldn't be a requirement for kids to go to school.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: February 26, 2012, 01:20:45 am »

I remember in my elementary school when autumn came and all the leaves fell one or two of the teachers would go to the tool shed and get out the rakes and brooms and ask for volunteers to help sweep up all the leaves, there was never any shortage of volunteers, but there was always a shortage of rakes and brooms, so I would put on my gloves and help move the leaves by hand.

Oh, and we were also responsible for keeping our desks clean, once a week we got out sponges and cleaned all the desks. I remember when I was sick for over a month with mono I came back to find my desk was incredibly filthy. It really surprised me that it got so dirty so fast.

But I guess that's a little different?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: February 26, 2012, 02:33:20 am »

Asking the kids to rake up some leaves is a bit differnt to forcing them to scrub toilets out of school hours for little/no pay just because they live below the poverty line
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: February 26, 2012, 06:22:42 am »

Eh? I never had to do that, and neither have my relatives. What state is this?

It was a requirement here in Nebraska, at least when I was in school.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: February 26, 2012, 06:42:43 am »

Especially targeting poor kids, because they obviously need to learn how to works because we all know poverty is caused by genetics moral deficiencies.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: February 26, 2012, 06:58:17 am »

That is so fucking out of this world. In any other place, that would have been if not political suicide, then at least the political equivalent of sawing your own legs off.

My mind doesn't even want to acknowledge it as a possible reality. Gingrich exposed as professional troll, read all about it. Next proposal about turning poor schools into Santa's Workshops to make toys for the rich kids?
Love, scriver~

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: February 26, 2012, 03:29:21 pm »

40 hours is not a whole lot of time for four years. Moreover, everyone has to do it. Equality is important here.

(My school doesn't require any, but you get a silver sticker on your diploma for 50 hours or a gold seal if you got 100+. I have something like 350 by now. It's not a lot of work, but I chose to do it because I enjoy being over-scheduled.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: February 26, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »

No, we're all wrong, Newt was obviously correct. Think about it: We're doing these poor kids a valuable service by teaching them how to work. They obviously aren't familiar with working, or they wouldn't be poor, right? It isn't as if there are reasons apart from laziness for someone to not have a six figure income. As an added bonus, by performing long hours of menial labor for little or no pay, we prepare them for their ideal role in society!

::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: February 26, 2012, 05:10:40 pm »

My school makes us do a hundred hours. And then gradually put in place a number of arbitrary restrictions on what can be earned where and when to prevent people from getting hours quickly or efficiently.

I hate my school's administration.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: February 26, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »

My school refused to accept the ~400 hours of community service I'd done over two summers my sophmore and junior years. Even though I had documentation from both the Food Bank and the Children's Zoo, basically telling them they'd have hired me as a full-time employee had I been able to stay, they made me do something in-state. I could have gotten angry, but after 400 hours of non-voluntary volunteer service, 40 hours seemed pretty trivial.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: February 26, 2012, 05:40:29 pm »

Why is everybody assuming the kids volunteering to clean school facilities will be poor?

What's wrong with paying volunteers to do labor?

Or say it isn't voluntary and every student is required to clean facilities for say the last 30 minutes of the school day?

Since when do rich kids go to public school anyways?

What the hell sort of liberalism are the teaching these days anyways? Voluntary labor for the benefit of the community is supposed to be a virtue, not some sort of victimization or maryterdom. What the fuck guys?
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 714