Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 696844 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3525 on: May 17, 2012, 08:57:40 am »

How can people believe that capitalism is meritocratic after seeing crap like this?  Here's a guy who has more money to piss away then you'll probably see in your life and he clearly is a deluded idiot about the stuff he's spending it on.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: May 17, 2012, 09:11:00 am »

I'm sure that voters will be driven away in droves when they discover Obama's secret stash of Williams-Sonoma pepper mills.  ::)

Also...they plan to compare him to Abraham Lincoln? Generally recognized as one of the greatest Presidents in US History, and one of the two venerated icons of the Republican Party? About the only people to whom a Lincoln comparison would be a slur are the neo-Confederate types. Which may explain much, actually.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: May 17, 2012, 10:45:51 am »

You'd think they'd be wary of attacking Obama over questionable stuff that happened years ago.  What with Romney having been an authoritarian bully and dead-father baptiser.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: May 17, 2012, 10:48:35 am »

You'd think they'd be wary of attacking Obama over questionable stuff that happened years ago

These are the same people who went after him for his birth certificate.

If it was politically/socially acceptable for conservatives to criticize Obama's birth stone and birth stars, they'd do so.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:19:23 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: May 17, 2012, 10:52:57 am »

Next they'll be producing photographic evidence that he picked his nose as a kid, and calling him OBooger. They're clever like a really clever thing which is clever.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3530 on: May 17, 2012, 11:39:47 am »

I'm a fan of when rich people are stupid enough to actually believe their own rhetoric.

Why shouldn't we repeal Citizen's United, again?

Because it was a supreme court decision and is now virtually unimpeachable.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: May 17, 2012, 02:17:06 pm »

I'm sure that voters will be driven away in droves when they discover Obama's secret stash of Williams-Sonoma pepper mills.  ::)

Also...they plan to compare him to Abraham Lincoln? Generally recognized as one of the greatest Presidents in US History, and one of the two venerated icons of the Republican Party? About the only people to whom a Lincoln comparison would be a slur are the neo-Confederate types. Which may explain much, actually.
No, it appears that they are planning to try to say that he is making people think he is like Abraham Lincoln, when he really isn't.
Which seems to me to be kind of a bizarre way to attack him, but I suppose its their money and they can do what they want with it.  ::)
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: May 17, 2012, 02:20:38 pm »

I'm a fan of when rich people are stupid enough to actually believe their own rhetoric.

Why shouldn't we repeal Citizen's United, again?

Because it was a supreme court decision and is now virtually unimpeachable.

Don't we just need another supreme court decision to counter it?

Also, why don't we make all this nitpicky legislation that gets as close to being around it as possible like people do with Roe v. Wade?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: May 17, 2012, 02:23:08 pm »

Or we could consti-mend the tution.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: May 17, 2012, 02:40:18 pm »

I'm still impressed by American politics; both ends of the spectrum. It's just this amazingly childish system that seems to exist within its own little bubble where even the 'personal attacks' are, well... just disconnected from anything that makes any objective sense whatsoever. Using them in real life (i.e. outside of a pants-on-head-retarded political discussion) would just get you laughed at, rather than actually insult or hurt anyone.
"Obama is bad because this preacher he was sortof associated with said THIS!"
"Oh yeah? well guess what, the guy running that ad campaign? After 9/11, he suggested that it was probably as a result of prior actions taken by the US government! What a stupid dick!"
"well you know what? You love letting people do what they want!"
"fuck you you dick, I bet if you were in charge, you'd probably want to give money to hospitals or something!"
"Money? I bet if you had your way, we'd live in some sort of egalitarian utopia where people don't need money anymore! C'mon guys, let's stop these bastards before they implement their insane 'eternal happiness and world peace' schemes!"

And so on. Please note that I'm not bothering to differentiate between the major party positions; to an outsider they're essentially schizophrenic and/or interchangeable. I'm quite sure there's some systematic differences there but it's basically like a magic eye puzzle; only sortof noticeable if you stare long enough that your eyes water up and you can't see very well anymore.

It just reminds me of that rather simplistic explanation (probably too simplistic, for anyone who actually knows history) of the fall of the Byzantine Empire I once heard; The reason they fell wasn't due to financial issues; the spice roads were apparently still very lucrative and Constantinople was still the richest, most powerful city in the world. It wasn't really due to structural issues; the Byzantine empire had inherited the West Roman Empire's excellent infrastructure/governmental concepts and combined them with eastern knowledge and culture, making it arguably even more a solid institution than the more-famous Western Roman Empire had been. It wasn't even due to military reasons; had they mustered their armies properly and at sensible times they could've stopped the muslim advancements fairly early on, maintained their borders and avoided that whole "invasion" thing. The empire crumbled and eventually fell because for generations the various forms of leadership of the empire did nothing but engage in short-sighted, asinine little political games and spent all of their time and energy on trying to become the next leaders of the empire. Once they were in power, they either got booted out/assassinated by the next person/faction or they focused all their attention on not getting booted out by the next person/faction.

There were no substantial reforms or efforts by those in charge because they lived in their own little bubbles of political games and bullshit. As a result, the empire stagnanted, fell apart and was eventually conquered by a guy who essentially amounted to being "a reasonably successful and opportunistic king". No-one with the power to change anything was able or willing to do so because they had to keep playing their bullshit games and focus all their attentions on dealing with the trivial issue of the day, like "Why do we keep letting Catholics do whatever it is they keep doing? Fuck those guys!" or "Seashells are immoral, let's do something about that!". Meanwhile when the entire province of somewhere-ia secceeds or another general deserts or the taxation revenue dips another 10% for no simple, obvious reason, the discussion is not "let's actually address that, find out what went wrong and maybe do something to stop that happening again", it just becomes "that's totally the fault of those other guys. Fuck them! Give me control of everything and I'll probably fix it with... stuff! Also seashells are immoral!"

Anyway, like I said. Incredibly basic, probably severely factually flawed and more divorced from the actual story I heard with every passing sentence (and yes, I just made up the reference to seashells. Couldn't think of anything better), but it's just what comes to mind every time I see American political debates. I mean, I hate Australian politics and it's probably going to follow the US' lead pretty closely for a long time, but in a kind of 'sad-bright-side' way, even when I've lost all hope for my governmental system and can't see any good chances for it to improve for the better, I can at least look at the USA and realise it's not yet that far gone, all things considered.

edit: Before anyone asks where the hell I'm getting my facts from, it's 6am and I've been awake since 7am yesterday, with 3 classes, 2 meetings, a quite long discussion with my partner about serious things, a bunch of hours on assignments and 6 hours at work in-between that time then and now. That's probably why this post is here and seems to be some sort of rant about the Byzantine empire. I dunno. It felt pretty important while I was typing it and I think it deserves at least some sort of recognition for having the bravery to be so very long at such an early time of the morning. I mean, there's sunlight coming through my curtains. Actual freakin' sunlight. I do know that the fortifications of Constantinople were really kickass and based around a concentric ring design, but during that last siege, severely undermanned and most of the defenders were mercenaries, then the guy who captured it was really civil and didn't kill everyone, which was pretty nice for the time. So at the end of the day and you're wondering what's going to happen in the future, there's always that story to hold onto.

...I'm gonna go to bed. I have research reports due now. This is totally probably not a problem. My point was not invalidated by this last paragraph, it was still a relevant observation and I'm pretty sure the story was mostly true. I'll check it tomorrow today.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:09:28 pm by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: May 17, 2012, 04:11:50 pm »

I like Romney. He's a moral, just person. I agree that we shouldn't tax rich people at all anymore, actually. Also being gay should be illegal since Mormon Jesus says it should be that way.

Also poor people shouldn't get food stamps, they should work as indentured servents in order to get food. Lazy gits.

And women shouldn't be allowed to decide whether or not they wish to get pregnant, I propose a constitutional amendment to make every decision by a woman the choice of her closest male relative. And make getting thinking of an abortion a capital crime.

*Gold bars drop out of pockets* Oh, my bad, sorry, those are meant for congress!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:14:26 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: May 17, 2012, 04:22:33 pm »

you know, I can't help but feel that most people are saying this (largely bull) crap about obama because he is black. (probably already been established, can't be bothered to check through over 200 pages)
Some of it probably is racism, but it's a fallacy to assume that all badmouthing about Obama is just because of his skin color.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: May 17, 2012, 04:31:46 pm »

you know, I can't help but feel that most people are saying this (largely bull) crap about obama because he is black. (probably already been established, can't be bothered to check through over 200 pages)

Our modern neo-con politicians secretly are racist? By gods!

Also I think this pretty apparent by the fact that whenever a group or committee of some such associated with (R) has a token 'intellectual black' so they can say "See! We're not racist! This guy's black and he agrees!"

Some of it probably is racism, but it's a fallacy to assume that all badmouthing about Obama is just because of his skin color.

Sure, to assume all of it is connected to race/his background is a bit silly, but for the most part it's a rather apparent fact that the modern Republican establishment simply can't handle a [half] black being president.

Anyone who says otherwise is woefully ignorant of our own country's bigotry and racism, which is typically hidden under a few layers of other issues to not make it the forefront issue, since who'd like Romney if he said "We can't elect Obama! He's Black!" [which is about the gist of opposition to him by most people I can think of who aren't going to vote for him, since they don't know anything about his policies/decisions in the last four years]

You simply cannot say the vast majority of the blind, seething hatred for him isn't the direct result of his race and retarded claims that he's a Muslim. And I say that as a white person.

[Edit: I'm tired of calling black people 'African Americans'. We're all Americans damnit(if you're born in America).]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:35:27 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: May 17, 2012, 04:44:08 pm »

I know a few people who don't want to vote for Obama because he isn't left-wing enough. One of them is black himself.
*shrugs*
I'm just saying that there are valid reasons to like/dislike someone - melanin content isn't one of them.

Blind, seething hatred I would be willing to chalk up to bigotry. Disagreeing with his policies I would not.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 714