Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 688398 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3645 on: May 29, 2012, 07:46:27 pm »

Would that make the GOP Chaos Space Marines?

That....oh god, that actually works.

Palin the Maverick, Primarch of the Tea Party Legion.
No, the GOP is the Ecclesiarchy. "Fear the xeno, the mutant, the heretic"
OIL FOR THE OIL GOD!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: May 29, 2012, 07:49:20 pm »

OIL FOR THE OIL GOD!
MONEY FOR THE MONEY THRONE!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: May 29, 2012, 08:50:50 pm »

Why is Russia Necrons?
Because Russia is a grim and lifeless land of death and stoicism. Just ask Deo- Just ask.... Just ask.... Just ask any Russian that isn't Deon.

Russia is the land of huge boobs, duh.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: May 30, 2012, 06:55:17 am »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: May 30, 2012, 07:49:10 am »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:02 pm »

An interesting tidbit that just dropped on my G+ stream about elections...

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: May 30, 2012, 08:57:12 pm »

Why is Russia Necrons?
Because Russia is a grim and lifeless land of death and stoicism. Just ask Deo- Just ask.... Just ask.... Just ask any Russian that isn't Deon.

Russia is the land of huge boobs, duh.
Never before have I wanted to go there. Japa, you just sold me a plane ticket.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: May 30, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »

Please tell me the ACLU or someone else has already taken this to court.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: May 30, 2012, 09:40:11 pm »

It's just plain moot, actually. The US Constitution states in Article VI that "No Religious Test shall ever be a prerequisite for holding Public Office.", and that automatically trumps any religious tests imposed by the states.

There was an atheist politician in Ashville, North Carolina (also has a ban on atheists in the state constitution) who's office was challenged by this about a year ago. It never went anywhere because of the aforementioned legal override.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: May 30, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »

On the bright side in Maryland it looks like gays are going to be able to marry. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/signature-count-makes-a-maryland-vote-on-same-sex-marriage-a-near-certainty/2012/05/29/gJQAz6HD0U_story.html

I heard on MSNBC like a week ago this was because the president coming out in favour of gay marriage fliped the black vote on the issue from ~-12 to ~18.
Ah ha I found an article you guyz can look at. http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/05/24/maryland_a_36_point_black_surge_of_support_for_gay_marriage.html

See it wasn't just about politics, it did some real good. Or it might have been about politics but ended up doin good in the end anyway, who cares why he did it.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: May 30, 2012, 09:46:34 pm »

The Constitution also states that Congress shall make no law regarding an establishment of religion (or something along those lines). Doesn't stop politicians from trying to introduce "Christian" legislature or claiming that America is a Christian country.

It may be the majority religion here, but that still doesn't make doing the above things legal.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: May 30, 2012, 10:08:28 pm »

It's just plain moot, actually. The US Constitution states in Article VI that "No Religious Test shall ever be a prerequisite for holding Public Office.", and that automatically trumps any religious tests imposed by the states.

There was an atheist politician in Ashville, North Carolina (also has a ban on atheists in the state constitution) who's office was challenged by this about a year ago. It never went anywhere because of the aforementioned legal override.

Still, those laws are unconstitutional, even if they hold no power. The First Amendment, combined with the Privileges or Immunities and Due Process clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment, means that those laws need to be removed.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:59 pm »

The Constitution also states that Congress shall make no law regarding an establishment of religion (or something along those lines). Doesn't stop politicians from trying to introduce "Christian" legislature or claiming that America is a Christian country.
Keyword is "trying". That's what the Supreme Court is for. They're the ones who are intended to dismiss legislation that contradicts the Constitution, and so far they've done a decent job separating church and state. Not as well as they could have (One Nation, Indivisible...), but certainly better than how things would be without them. As for claiming that America is a Christian nation, that's just free speech. It's stupid and inaccurate, but doesn't have any legal authority either.

I mean, if I wanted to, I could claim that America is a communist dictatorship, but that doesn't do anything to make it true. 
It may be the majority religion here, but that still doesn't make doing the above things legal.
I'm questioning just how much of a majority Christianity even is anymore. There are a lot of Americans who call themselves Christians but do basically nothing to back that title up. The actual participation in religion is lower than the polls would have you believe, especially in cities.
Still, those laws are unconstitutional, even if they hold no power. The First Amendment, combined with the Privileges or Immunities and Due Process clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment, means that those laws need to be removed.
They aren't laws. They're constitutional articles, and that's different. A constitutional article can only be changed by an amendment, not a legal challenge. Neither Congress nor the Supreme Court may overturn part of either the state or national Constitutions, although the former vote upon amendments.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: May 30, 2012, 10:16:51 pm »

They aren't laws. They're constitutional articles, and that's different. A constitutional article can only be changed by an amendment, not a legal challenge. Neither Congress nor the Supreme Court may overturn part of either the state or national Constitutions, although the former vote upon amendments.

My bad, I missed that distinction. I should have realized that, since I live in one of those states. So, essentially, it's in the state constitutions, but has no effect?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: May 30, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »

My bad, I missed that distinction. I should have realized that, since I live in one of those states. So, essentially, it's in the state constitutions, but has no effect?
Yes, exactly. The only ways it could ever have an effect would be if the U.S. Constitution were amended to strike the ban on religious tests for public office from Article Six, or if a state with one of these anti-atheist articles left the Union.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 714