Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 700497 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 12:16:50 am »

If you are unsatisfied with the candidates that run in national elections and you do not participate in primary elections for either party, you have only yourself to blame.

I find it weird that people think that a crazy republican nominee somehow means that Obama can't lose re election.  Crazy candidates do win elections.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 12:18:29 am »

Well... You guys did elect Bush. Twice. I'm pretty sure that insanity helps your chances if anything.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 12:19:53 am »

Bush wasn't insane.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 12:20:43 am »

If he was then he would have gotten a third term.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2011, 12:25:50 am »

Well... You guys did elect Bush. Twice. I'm pretty sure that insanity helps your chances if anything.
Once. Gore won the first time.

I will be an eligible voter just three days (I think) before voting occurs, so I'm actually in this one. At the moment my preference is, 'Not Republican'. Not necessarily because of partisanship, but because they are batshit insane. I'm happy with some things that Obama did, and he hasn't fucked up too much of anything else yet. I'll probably vote for him, but I'm not happy about it. I want a president that will do the right thing, not one that tries to make Congress happy.

In another 17.5 years, I might try running. I feel that if you need something done right, you should at least try to solve it yourself. Maybe I'll try being a Senator or Representative first, but someone needs to knock some sense into the government. (And that's why I'll probably never get elected. The established government does not like naive idealists.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2011, 12:26:33 am »

I'm not a big fan of any of the candidates, but maybe that's because I'm still holding out for C'thulhu to announce that he is running for president.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2011, 12:27:43 am »

I'm not a big fan of any of the candidates, but maybe that's because I'm still holding out for C'thulhu to announce that he is running for president.

This.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2011, 12:28:50 am »

Spoiler: Old Politics is Old (click to show/hide)

At any rate, I'm so disillusioned with the current candidates that I'm considering my options for using my vote for ultimately-futile trolling, but if I don't do that then I'll still certainly be casting it in favor of the candidate I dislike least. Mostly I need to figure out whether I want to vote in the Republican primaries or not, since I'll certainly not be voting for that party given the candidates available so far. So the only use it'd have would be supporting an ultimately doomed candidate in the hopes of making my later, actual vote more meaningful. And ultimately pointless because I'd give 9 to 1 odds in favor of Obama winning, because I have no concern for statistical rigor and choose to use this format to say that I think he's very very likely to win.

Need to investigate more 3rd parties, though. Even the pointless ones.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2011, 12:31:26 am »

The reason why Obama has such a good shot at winning a second term is because almost every single one of the Republican candidates have said or done something so nutty that it alienates the swing voters. Could you imagine a moderate conservative voting for someone who wanted to cut government benefits to the needy because "suffering is a part of life and is good for you"?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2011, 12:40:02 am »

It's somewhat disingenuous to summarize all the GOP candidates with Rick Santorum. Like Newt. He's certainly crazy, but he's not hardcore Republican crazy, he's rich person crazy.

I think Romney is pretty likely to pull some voters away from Obama, particularly those disenfranchised with the the president, but it's unlikely he'll rile up the Republican base.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2011, 12:45:50 am »

Once. Gore won the first time.
Explain.
Gore had more of the popular vote, meaning he had more numerical votes, meaning that the populace chose him. The Supreme Court decided to stop the recounts when Bush was declared 'ahead'. It went to the Supreme Court because of the system of the 'Electoral College', an outmoded system giving states a 'point value' based on the number of senators (2) and representatives (1 or more, based on population) in the state. Bush had more of the Electoral College, and Gore had the popular vote. The Supreme Court (then primarily Republican) pretty much chose Bush on their own accord.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2011, 12:47:21 am »

Ooh... Well that is pretty fucked. Your system is fucked. Not that ours isn't fucked, but fuck yours is really fucked.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2011, 12:47:48 am »

Rich-person crazy is still crazy. If you want, I'll find some scary-crazy.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2011, 01:00:27 am »

You could try to actively thwart the voting process? You know, mislead people into voting for the worst candidate, encourage people to be apathetic about the system, lie to people about where campaign donations go. But that's getting way too close to what could be considered terrorism for me.
... it, uh. Isn't that what the political parties do? I'm trying to think of a kinder way of putting it, but misleading people to vote for largely-incompetent people, encouraging people to be apathetic toward the process (by abusing it, leading people to feel they have no true influence), misleading -- if not outright lying -- about campaign donations? They, uh. They do that. All of that, right? Am I mischaracterizing things, here?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 714