Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 696135 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5610 on: September 21, 2012, 01:54:25 pm »

Apparently Romney decided that the best time to release his tax returns was right now, rather than immediately. 14%.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: September 21, 2012, 02:05:35 pm »

Apparently Romney decided that the best time to release his tax returns was right now, rather than immediately. 14%.

The boy just doesn't know timing, does he? Link, please.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: September 21, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »

Here you go  :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: September 21, 2012, 02:13:37 pm »

GreatJustice, every time you argue with me you accuse me off strawman without understanding my arguments.  You are a very unpleasant person to talk to.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: September 21, 2012, 02:18:56 pm »

GreatJustice, every time you argue with me you accuse me off strawman without understanding my arguments.  You are a very unpleasant person to talk to.

Ahem

No, he didn't. He's saying mainiac did when mainiac said "you posted something that was simply untrue, that poor people were more likely to support Ron Paul" by showing what he actually wrote, which was "rich people didn't support Ron Paul".
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: September 21, 2012, 02:23:28 pm »

Actually I can't figure out what ANYONE is trying to say to each other any more.
And here I thought that was just me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: September 21, 2012, 02:25:38 pm »

You two should play some mario kart together and blow off steam. Lots of passive aggression here.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: September 21, 2012, 02:32:54 pm »

So what we've established is that Ron Paul doesn't receive much support from the poor or the rich.  That's why he's not one of the contenders in this election.  So back to talking about people who are.

Romney's tax rate:
http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/21/pf/taxes/romney-tax-return/

Well, it's above 13% at least.

The reason Romney's rate is so low -- despite having one of the highest incomes in the country -- is because his income was derived almost entirely from capital gains and dividends from his extensive portfolio of investments. And that form of investment income is typically taxed at just 15%, well below the 35% top tax rate for high earners. To top of page
This would explain it down to 15%, but not any lower.  Surely he's so far into the top tax rate that almost all of his regular income would be taxed at 35%?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: September 21, 2012, 02:43:07 pm »

Except most, if not all, of his wealth isn't coming from traditional sources. That's the rub. He makes more than the vast majority of Americans and gets taxed at rates far lower because this country treats income earned from investments in a completely different fashion than people who get cut a paycheck for their day's work. The tax system treats income from investments as supplementary income, when for the highest rollers, it's actually their primary source of income.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: September 21, 2012, 02:49:32 pm »

Actually I can't figure out what ANYONE is trying to say to each other any more.
And here I thought that was just me.
I don't even post here much anymore <_<;
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: September 21, 2012, 02:53:00 pm »

This would explain it down to 15%, but not any lower.  Surely he's so far into the top tax rate that almost all of his regular income would be taxed at 35%?
What regular income? His job has been "Presidential candidate" for the last year and a half. It's like the landed gentry of the 18th-century...they don't need to earn a salary, they just sit back and collect the income generated by all that property (in this case, massive amounts of stock) that they own.

EDIT: You know who Herman Cain thinks would be beating the pants off Obama at this point? Herman Cain.

But Cain said he would have been doing better if he was the nominee, saying that he'd probably have a "substantial lead" on President Barack Obama at this point.

"The reason is quite simple: I have some depth to my ideas," he said.

Nice. You realize you just implied that Mitt Romney has no depth to his ideas...the GOP thanks you for your support, Hermanator.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:58:10 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: September 21, 2012, 04:38:01 pm »

You know what they say. With friends like these...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5622 on: September 21, 2012, 04:39:57 pm »

Consider for a moment that 2 of Herman Cains deepest ideas were inspired by Pokemon: The Movie and the 999 tax rate from simcity.

Yea.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: September 21, 2012, 05:05:07 pm »

Well ignorant people generally think they know more then they do or think they know nothing.  Hermain Cain certainly isn't the latter.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: September 21, 2012, 05:14:15 pm »

Consider for a moment that 2 of Herman Cains deepest ideas were inspired by Pokemon: The Movie and the 999 tax rate from simcity.

Yea.
Wait, is he really a fan of those two? I might have some respect for him then, even if just a sliver.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 714