Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 698067 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5655 on: September 24, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »

*golfclap*

*that is, not hitting you with a golf club. Actual clapping*

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: September 24, 2012, 02:13:25 pm »

And I see a grand total of one item. Which is admittedly a good guy thing, but still.

He posted another one on Facebook. I'm not sure why it's not on the tumblr yet. He's probably churning out a bunch more.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: September 24, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »

I'm not even sure what that one's supposed to mean. Is Romney gonna steal your furniture (general consensus is yes)?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: September 24, 2012, 02:31:26 pm »

To be fair to Romney, he was an active and senior member of his church. That means doing ministry. Sitting with the sick and dying, informal counselling, all that stuff.

He hasn't really been using it because anything related to the Mormon church is tainted with the electorate, but it's likely he has a lot of do-gooder stories if people cared to dig. I seem to remember seeing one article elsewhere but can't find it now.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5659 on: September 24, 2012, 02:37:59 pm »

Even Hitler was very fond of dogs, and a vegetarian.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: September 24, 2012, 02:42:26 pm »

I know that wasn't a real Godwin, but...

Yeah, I'm not saying Romney is an asshole, it's just....okay, I'm totally saying he's an asshole.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: September 24, 2012, 03:03:11 pm »

You can be an asshole and still he a really nice and true guy at Tue same time. It's the magic of monkey spheres.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: September 24, 2012, 03:13:01 pm »

To be fair to Romney, he was an active and senior member of his church. That means doing ministry. Sitting with the sick and dying, informal counselling, all that stuff.
Oh please. Corrupt church officials were old in the 1300's.
Hitler wasn't a vegetarian. That's an urban legend.
You can be an asshole and still he a really nice and true guy at Tue same time. It's the magic of monkey spheres.
That's true, but there is a general trend. All humans are limited by Dunbar's Number, but there's still a difference between, for example, Fred Rogers and Rupert Murdoch.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5663 on: September 24, 2012, 03:20:40 pm »

I was looking at my sample ballot and I noticed something odd about the order of the candidates. For every race there is only one consistent aspect. Republican candidates are always listed first.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: September 24, 2012, 04:12:11 pm »

A lot of times they cluster them like that to make it harder to vote for the wrong party by accident, especially in local races where a given party may have multiple candidates. We've been a Democratic stronghold for decades, and the Republicans are usually listed first on ballots here.

I'm really confused about the Ohio senate race. We're a purple state (meaning that there's no guaranteed statewide party affiliation), yet the Republican candidate is running such a poor campaign, it's almost as if he's trying to lose.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: September 24, 2012, 04:59:52 pm »

Oh please. Corrupt church officials were old in the 1300's.
Hitler wasn't a vegetarian. That's an urban legend.
That's true, but there is a general trend. All humans are limited by Dunbar's Number, but there's still a difference between, for example, Fred Rogers and Rupert Murdoch.

I know this is meant to be a thread for the election, but:

"In a diary entry dated April 26, 1942, Joseph Goebbels described Hitler as a committed vegetarian, writing,

An extended chapter of our talk was devoted by the Führer to the vegetarian question. He believes more than ever that meat-eating is harmful to humanity. Of course he knows that during the war we cannot completely upset our food system. After the war, however, he intends to tackle this problem also. Maybe he is right. Certainly the arguments that he adduces in favor of his standpoint are very compelling."

Hitler is believed to have been a vegetarian or at least reduced the amount of meat in his diet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: September 24, 2012, 05:03:28 pm »

While that is true, it is well known that Hitler particularly liked sausage, as most Germans did. Hitler did a lot of hypocritical things. That happens when you are as mentally unbalanced as he was.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: September 24, 2012, 05:36:59 pm »

The theory that Hitler was gay is completely unfounded, MSH, and I don't see what that has to do with his vegetarianness.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: September 24, 2012, 05:42:49 pm »

Oh, come on! He even had all of his people's uniforms be black leather! What more proof do you need that Hitler was the Gay Antichrist?
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: September 24, 2012, 06:47:48 pm »

"In a diary entry dated April 26, 1942, Joseph Goebbels described Hitler as a committed vegetarian [...]
Have you read Jefferson's first draft of the declaration of independence?  The part where he says that slavery is evil and one of the goals of the revolution will be abolition of slavery?  This came from a man who owned a slave plantation until the day he died.

History is full of hypocrites and Hitler saying vegetarianism is good while eating meat doesn't even rise to the level of hypocrisy.  Vegetarianism being good for your health, soul and environment was a very broadly held view in the later 19th and early 20th century.  From a propaganda standpoint it would look good.  But that didn't make Hitler a vegetarian any more then Obama's public policy goal of reducing smoking makes Obama a non-smoker.  How often do you see Obama smoking?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 714