Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 700499 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2011, 01:11:49 am »

I don't think you are, sadly
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2011, 01:38:10 am »

Ron paul sounds good, but has the problem of being fucking crazy.

"Mr. Paul, what is your stance on poverty?"
"w-w-whell, I remember one day Ronald Reagan was talking to me and he said 'Ron. America.' CAN I GET AN AMEN FOR AMERICA?!"
"Mr. Paul, that has nothing to do with poverty."
"W-thank you."

Ron Paul only sounds good until you realize what he actually believes. He isn't an actual libertarian. He is an anti-federalist. He does not care about giving people liberty, only in neutering the federal government. He would be very happy if individual states had a party and took away peoples rights.

"We the People Act": http://www.independentamericanparty.org/2011/09/1949/ That is strait from the horses mouth.

See section 3. It boils down to forbidding the US supreme court from hearing cases on the constitutionality of state laws based on religion, abortion or sexual orientation discrimination. If it were in effect, each state could ban abortion in violation of roe vs wade or make homosexuality a felony. States could ban atheists, muslims, jews, mormons, catholics or even protestants from serving in public office without federal challenge among many many other backwards theocratic and anti-constitutional edicts.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2011, 01:40:00 am »

That sounds bad... You guys should avoid him.
Or move to Canada!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:38 am »

Sounds a bit like this thing Newt Gingrich put together.

tl;dr, he wants to protect freedom of religion - by claiming that things like evolution and homosexuality are religions and thus should not be discussed in public schools. He plans to put together a special commission to do the job.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2011, 01:43:23 am »

Once. Gore won the first time.
Explain.
Gore had more of the popular vote, meaning he had more numerical votes, meaning that the populace chose him. The Supreme Court decided to stop the recounts when Bush was declared 'ahead'. It went to the Supreme Court because of the system of the 'Electoral College', an outmoded system giving states a 'point value' based on the number of senators (2) and representatives (1 or more, based on population) in the state. Bush had more of the Electoral College, and Gore had the popular vote. The Supreme Court (then primarily Republican) pretty much chose Bush on their own accord.

You just became my new favorite person to talk to about politics. Not that I like Gore more than Bush, or vice-versa, but I dislike the Electoral College in its very principle, for 3 reasons:

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2011, 01:43:38 am »

Or move to Canada!

Not just him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2011, 01:47:18 am »

Or move to Canada!

Not just him.

Gotta love how they blocked comments. This may be common practice for campaign ads, but it still doesn't hide that like/dislike bar.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2011, 01:49:05 am »

Or move to Canada!

Not just him.

Gotta love how they blocked comments. This may be common practice for campaign ads, but it still doesn't hide that like/dislike bar.

Like uPolitic pointed out a few weeks ago, that ad has a worse like/dislike ratio than Rebecca Black's Friday. Rick Perry is not going to be elected president.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2011, 01:50:19 am »

Or move to Canada!

Not just him.

Like uPolitic pointed out a few weeks ago, that ad has a worse like/dislike ratio than Rebecca Black's Friday. Rick Perry is not going to be elected president.

Damn straight.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2011, 01:50:47 am »

You could try to actively thwart the voting process? You know, mislead people into voting for the worst candidate, encourage people to be apathetic about the system, lie to people about where campaign donations go. But that's getting way too close to what could be considered terrorism for me.
... it, uh. Isn't that what the political parties do? I'm trying to think of a kinder way of putting it, but misleading people to vote for largely-incompetent people, encouraging people to be apathetic toward the process (by abusing it, leading people to feel they have no true influence), misleading -- if not outright lying -- about campaign donations? They, uh. They do that. All of that, right? Am I mischaracterizing things, here?

Many right wing radio hosts have been saying over the last year or so that we should stop all these "get out the vote" campaigns because it only leads to more young and "urban" people voting. And those are not the type of people they want to be voting.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2011, 01:50:58 am »

tl;dr, he wants to protect freedom of religion - by claiming that things like evolution and homosexuality are religions and thus should not be discussed in public schools. He plans to put together a special commission to do the job.

Oh that is right, evolution is still on trial over there in the United States of RETARDATION. How are you guys even allowed to have nukes? That is like a three year old with a shot gun!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2011, 01:53:18 am »

Alright, that's it.  Enough cynicism for one thread.  Keep it on the candidates and the election, enough country bashing and this whinging about the futility of voting.

Thread's not even twelve hours old, okay guys?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2011, 01:56:04 am »

Oh that is right, evolution is still on trial over there in the United States of RETARDATION. How are you guys even allowed to have nukes? That is like a three year old with a shot gun!
I'm going to assume that you're going off of a badly outdated stereotype of the States here, cause that was just idiotic.

By Supreme Court decision, public schools teach evolution, present it as the theory (SCIENTIFIC USAGE OF THE WORD HERE) it is, and forbid creationism or intelligent design or whatever they call it these days. The problem comes from private schools, most of which are religious in nature and aren't bound by the decision, and home-schooling, which all too often results in overly-religious types indoctrinating their youngsters. Most educated Americans accept evolution.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2011, 02:10:27 am »

Anyone feel we should make a campaign for willful anti-voting (give people the choice to not choose)? I mean, first off, I never thought of voting to really matter anyhow. No matter what, those in power will skew everything into their preference; and even if they fail to obtain their initial goal (enough votes against what they want), they can always bring up another bill or something to exploit it.

But where it's more relevant; nobody likes any of the candidates on any side, so why do we bother voting at all in the first place? It's like Alien vs. Predator here, "No matter who wins, we lose.". I think ballots either need a '[ ] None of the Above' option, or people should just stop voting for just one election year, and see if the numbers really do get rigged after all. I mean, for one election year, everybody just does not vote. How will Congress react, corporate backers, and so forth? If a dense enough number of voters just stop voting, I'm curious just how big of a gap they'll have to "fill" *cough*rig*cough* to place another ass in the White House chair.

I dare America to not vote for just 1 election year, just to see what happens. I bet it would be entertaining to watch. Of course, as a willing non-voter (my choice to not choose) myself, it would be especially fun to watch.

EDIT:
An idea has always come to my mind whenever election season rolls around. Just modify/photoshop an AvP movie poster to suit an election campaign poster (red, white, and blue, and the many other election/"patriotic" cliches), but keep the quote "No matter who wins, we lose.". Spread that across the internet to start, and see how society reacts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:18:06 am by Itnetlolor »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2011, 02:17:19 am »

I'm pretty sure even one person voting would be enough for them. Although it would cause recounts in my state for the next 64 years.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 714