Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 724877 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7800 on: November 02, 2012, 03:43:19 pm »

It is imperative that we twist and distort this fact into "Romney's ancestors were communists"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: November 02, 2012, 03:44:07 pm »

There's actually some history in the mormon church of collectivist communities, but none of them ended very well :X
A man and his eight wives do not a collective make.  :P
Naw they did stuff like eliminate personal property and such too. Almost hippie-ish, minus the free love (just free wives).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: November 02, 2012, 03:45:39 pm »

Technically speaking, it isn't even really a distortion. Collectivist communes qualify for being at least some forms of communism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: November 02, 2012, 03:45:53 pm »

<snipped>
If the whole US fucks this up I'm disowning them... as soon as I turn 18 and can legally get my ass onto a flight to Toronto without my parents getting worried.

Do you really want to have Stephen Harper as your Prime Minister?
I hope Obama wins, personally, and it seems likely to be so.  And it's also likely the Democrats will take both my State House and Senate this year, giving them full control of the government for the first time since the early 1990s.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7804 on: November 02, 2012, 03:47:29 pm »

Democrats still won't have the us house. and the us senate may be tied or even lost.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: November 02, 2012, 03:49:21 pm »

He said "his State House", so I assume he meant state.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:51:13 pm by GlyphGryph »

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: November 02, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »

I specified my State, Nadaka.  I was referring to Minnesota.
Nationally:  And yes, I know the Dems won't pick up the House, but the Senate, due to incompetence on the part of many Republican candidates, is very likely to remain in Democratic hands.  And there is a chance Dems will actually pick up seats.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: November 02, 2012, 03:54:09 pm »

Most projections I've seen show 52-48 or 53-47 for the Senate, thanks to Todd Akin and a handful of other foot-in-mouth incidents in Senate races.

The House will stay in GOP hands, and may even redden a bit.  :-\

So expect four more years of the finest Tea Party derp from the House and crippling inaction in Congress for the most part. Which will force Obama to use more executive orders to actually get shit done, which will feed more into this "Imperial Obama" narrative.  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: November 02, 2012, 03:55:57 pm »

Nationally:  And yes, I know the Dems won't pick up the House, but the Senate, due to incompetence on the part of many Republican candidates, is very likely to remain in Democratic hands.  And there is a chance Dems will actually pick up seats.

you also said it would give the democrats full control of the govornment, and that part didn't seem state specific.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: November 02, 2012, 03:57:11 pm »

Mormons do embrace the protestant work ethic

So if you don't work hard enough to be successful and therefore glorify god, it means you are NOT glorifying god.

right.

I hate him more.

also, he's a Mormon. I'm going to assume that he follows the bible, same as other Christian denominations.
he appears to be the kind of guy that wouldn't care if the poor get poorer, so long as the rich get richer.

is he really a Mormon, or is he just saying that?

There hasn't been a major Christian Republican (i.e. 99.999% of Republicans) from any denomination in twenty years who has actually given a fuck about the various verses about wealth. All they need the Bible for is feeling good about themselves and defending their homophobia.

I would just like to suggest again that we go around to churches this Sunday to raise awareness about the Bible passages that bash covetousness and the rich.

You ever get that pamphlet designed?

Paste this into OpenOffice or whatever word processor you use (try to avoid using Notepad though, as it won't show bolded or underlined text)

Spoiler: Anti-Romney Tract (click to show/hide)

This is more or less final. For this tract at any rate. I might tweak the formatting a bit more, but it's pretty decent as is.
(BTW, If you want to save paper a lot of printers can be set to print four mini-pages {which you could then cut out} per sheet of paper. Just remember to paste the pamphlet in four times with page breaks in-between if you do that)

The Republican response to this is always to say "Jesus commanded people to give their money away, not to have the government serve as a middleman", and then "creatively reinterpret" the "rich man... needle" and "money... evil" bits.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: November 02, 2012, 03:58:15 pm »

Most projections I've seen show 52-48 or 53-47 for the Senate, thanks to Todd Akin and a handful of other foot-in-mouth incidents in Senate races.

The House will stay in GOP hands, and may even redden a bit.  :-\

So expect four more years of the finest Tea Party derp from the House and crippling inaction in Congress for the most part. Which will force Obama to use more executive orders to actually get shit done, which will feed more into this "Imperial Obama" narrative.  ::)

Ah well, if he's reelected it's his second term anyway, so he doesn't have to give a crap about "compromising his reelection chances".

More US presidents should have grown a pair in their second term, once they had nothing left to lose.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: November 02, 2012, 03:59:42 pm »

The House isn't going to get more Republican, that's just very unlikely.  Redistricting was basically a zero-sum game for both parties because of:
A) Major gerrymanderings cancelled each other out: IL, MD, et. al. cancel out NC, MO, et al.
B) Some incumbent candidates can be very stubborn (One NC Blue Dog comes to mind, can't remember his name)
C) California undid a bipartisan gerrymander that locked in a 34 D, 19 R delegation for 10 years while the state moved left; there will be some Dem gains there.
D) Many weak Republicans were washed in during a wave year in unfriendly turf that are likely to lose. New Hampshire districts, MI-1, MN-8, FL-18, FL-22.

That said, some Dem retirements in very red areas will hurt (OK-2, AR-4), but it won't be enough to make the House more Republican.  Probably 10-11 seat pickup for Democrats overall, IMO.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: November 02, 2012, 04:04:44 pm »

I hope Obama wins, personally, and it seems likely to be so.  And it's also likely the Democrats will take both my State House and Senate this year, giving them full control of the government for the first time since the early 1990s.

you also said it would give the democrats full control of the govornment, and that part didn't seem state specific.

He had a comma, so it was all a single statement, and he specifically stated that the Dems taking the state house plus senate was the proximate cause of giving "THEM" the control of the government. There was no mention of the Democrats in that section.

If you managed to work out that "THEM" meant the Democrats from the first part of the sentence which mentioned winning the state house / senate, how could you not interpret the dependent clause "them take control of the government" to mean state government? It seems hard to believe that this was referring to the federal government.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 04:24:00 pm by Reelya »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: November 02, 2012, 04:12:46 pm »

This is quite the argument over a simple miscommunication.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: November 02, 2012, 04:22:56 pm »

Yea... I was just explaining why i said what i said, not arguing at all.

Anyway, are yall ready to play "is it racist?"

http://news.yahoo.com/super-pac-ad-buy-urges-african-americans-ohio-210436263--politics.html

This just in: Abraham Lincoln was a republican. That means democrats hate black people.

Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 714